I love bass fishing!

• BassResource.com Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,294 posts
  • Facebook:bassresource
  • Twitter:bassresourcecom
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Potholes Reservoir, Banks Lake, Columbia River: Tri-Cities.

Posted April 02 2012 - 10:58 PM

Identity theft is all the rage these days, and technology makes it increasingly easier to do, but still, you'd think it might be a a BIT of challenge to steal Paul Allen's ID. You'd THINK that... and you'd be wrong. Authorities in Pittsburgh just nabbed an AWOL soldier who, with one simple call to Citibank, managed to get a debit card linked to Allen's bank account. Not very sophisticated, but the guy got to a BILLIONAIRE.

Technology also provides distractions to the point of being very dangerous. We've all heard about the dangers of texting and driving, but how about texting and WALKING? Take Bonnie Miller of Michigan, a woman who walked off of a pier while texting. She was walking with her husband and 15- year- old son, but instead of enjoying 'family time', she was face- down on her phone... and then she was floating in a lake. Congratulations.

A guy in Tennessee broke into a house and stole, among other things, an 8- year- olds iPad. Thing is, the kid had a tracking app on his iPad, so he led police to the thief in about 40 minutes. Another round of congratulations and accolades!

I could go on and on, as their no shortage of stories of technology ruining a person's day or life, but today we wanted your story: WHEN HAS TECHNOLOGY DONE YOU WRONG?
The people that hate you, don't know you. They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us:

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#2 preach4bass

preach4bass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationGold Point, North Carolina
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:04 PM

GPS. Recalculating. Enough said.

#3 flippin and pitchin

flippin and pitchin

Kicker

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm sorry Glenn but technology has had some less than positive impacts. My pet peave, video games. Get kids outside and active. Texting and cell phones, in schools and especially when driving. Smart phones. Ever had to deal with complaints about " sexting " with kids who are 14, 15 and so on sending images of their genitalia to each other ? Identity Theft and Fraud costs people billions each year. The scams originate in Africa, are buffered in Europe and channeled through south America. Solveabilty rate ? ZERO. You are paying for the losses, trust me. Ever been in the middle of issuing an " E-ticket ", give to the offender the printed copy then have the system crash and loose it ? It's not all roses. Sorry, got on my soap box too long. It's my age I guess.

#4 Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I Just Want to go Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationRodney Michigan
  • Favorite Lake or River:Should it matter?

Posted April 03 2012 - 03:54 AM

An employee of the VA breaks the rules when he takes his laptop out of the office, puts it in the trunk of his car, and then the car is stolen. 50+ years worth of veteran's personal data was on the hard drive prompting the VA to issue a letter to veterans about the potential lapse in security.

If you got one of those letters, did it occur to you that it didn't make any sense for the VA to purchase portable computers if they didn't want those computers to ever leave their offices?

This is just one of hundreds of case where your personal data is stored on someone else's computer and you have to hope (I've given up on the term "trust") that some lowlife doesn't figure out how to steal it. Just within the last week a credit card processor in NY had their computers hacked exposing who knows how many people.

Have you ever taken your computer into a store to be worked on? Ever had to have the hard drive replaced? Do you know what happened to the hard drive that got taken out? A man in South Carolina bought a box full of used computer parts that included a hard drive. When he started it up, he found that it included all of the personal data (including tax returns) for a couple from Chicago. The husband had taken the family computer into one of the big box stores to have the computer worked on a year before that. The gentleman from SC was nice enough to return it to the original owners!

All of this should make you feel a lot more secure. NOT!

#5 Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 04:04 AM

Commercially available to anyone. Accounting software that allows the user to print company checks that will pass undetected through any bank's electronic readers using MICR toner in your home laserjet printer. The software will also print out approved W-2 Forms that no accountant would question while preparing a tax return.

How could that happen?

It only takes one mad former employee who received a paycheck and a W-2 from an employer. All of the checking account information needed is printed right there on the check including the routing and account numbers. The W-2 Form provides other information needed such as the employer's federal ID number.

#6 Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted April 03 2012 - 04:15 AM

Did it take a little longer for you to get your tax refund this year?

The IRS isn't to blame. They are simply trying to figure out a way to weed out all of the fake tax returns being filed in amongst the real ones.

Rapid Refunds? One Florida couple was caught after filing close to 100 bogus tax returns in the same year! Most of the returns were filed with the same large tax preparation firm's offices spread across the state. A review showed the couple had gamed the system to insure that they got the maximum refund on each return.

Simple tax return, W-2 wages only, two children for maximum EIC, walk out the door with check in hand, right to the check cashing store right down the road.

#7 grampa1114

grampa1114

Fishtales told here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Facebook:Mike Trubiano
  • LocationWebster Ma.
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Champlain
    Charcoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Pickwick

Posted April 03 2012 - 06:47 AM

That stuff is all really scary but the Bozo on the cellphone, having a heated conversation, in traffic, coming right at me and my family......that's technology running wildly amock. JMHO

Grampa

Learn well.....then Teach 

#8 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • 10,522 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Worth Lagoon

Posted April 03 2012 - 10:22 AM

Technology is created for big business to make more money, sure we have modern conveniences that we think are great but they are created not for us but for big companies to make lots of money. Robots do the job of many people, cost less to operate and don't take a lunch break, increases unemployment. Technology has either eliminated jobs by doing tasks better, faster, and cheaper than a humans can or having those tech jobs done offshore cheaper, either case technology puts people out of work. Once people get retrained and re employed,other kinds of jobs become obsolete, the cycle never ends.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#9 Siebert Outdoors

Siebert Outdoors

Its all about jig fishin

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Siebert-Outdoors/372228952890194
  • LocationMissouri
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake St Clair MI

Posted April 03 2012 - 10:27 AM

I once lost using a Garmin GPS system. It had no clue where I was suppose to turn at. 4 right turns brings you back to the same spot. LOL

#10 Glenn

Glenn

I love bass fishing!

• BassResource.com Administrator
  • 17,294 posts
  • Facebook:bassresource
  • Twitter:bassresourcecom
  • Favorite Lake or River:Potholes Reservoir, Banks Lake, Columbia River: Tri-Cities.

Posted April 03 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ummm.... does anyone have any funny stories? For example, I heard of a guy who's girlfriend took a bunch of naked pics of herself using his cell phone. Problem was, she didn't know he had an app that automatically posted all his pics on Facebook! DOH!
The people that hate you, don't know you. They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us:

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#11 Ratherbfishing

Ratherbfishing

Can't fish enough

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationEast Central Illinois
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Not sayin'.

Posted April 03 2012 - 11:04 AM

You should have seen the "road" my GPS tried to take me down last week. It was more like a dirt walking path.

#12 grimlin

grimlin

Where there is water is where I rather be.

• Members
  • 4,250 posts
  • LocationWaxahachie,Texas
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted April 03 2012 - 11:32 AM

Once a month I get somebody who's butt calls the house phone and I hear the entire conversation......Happens quite a bit...LOL
The magic lure in your tackle box is the lure you have the most confidence in.

#13 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • 10,522 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Worth Lagoon

Posted April 03 2012 - 11:46 AM

Once a month I get somebody who's butt calls the house phone and I hear the entire conversation......Happens quite a bit...LOL

I guess you never had a party line...........haha

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#14 Olebiker

Olebiker

Tallahassee Bass Anglers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationTallahassee, Florida
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Talquin

Posted April 03 2012 - 01:55 PM

The first time I took my father's old Bass Tracker on Lake Talquin I was idling away from the dock watching the depth finder. I was amazed at the quality of the images I was getting and was surprised at how deep the water was.

About that time, in 22 feet of water, I ran into a stump. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the depthfiinder was in "demo" mode. I was sure glad I was alone.

#15 Raider Nation Fisher

Raider Nation Fisher

The most Raidinist one

• Members
  • 4,608 posts
  • LocationB'ham Alabama
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Spotted
  • Favorite Lake or River:My work ponds. Lake Logan Martin, Lake Purdy, Lake Martin

Posted April 03 2012 - 02:55 PM

I was trying to find a jobsite a few months ago. I entered the address Exactly how it was listed. My GPS unit took me to a empty field forty miles away from where I was supposed to be. After getting a stern lecture over the ordeal. It happened to my boss the next week. Same address and same field. The GPS software company dang sure got it wrong on that one.
We will tear your soul apart! -Pinhead-

My name is Legion. For we are many. -Legion-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users