fishing

fishing
fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Possible Uses For A Med Light Rod?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 mkman1

mkman1

Fry

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 02:24 AM

I picked up a field and stream tech spec.rod a dicks on clearance for $30 bucks a 6-10 med light/fast tip.I already have a 6-6 med/fast carbonlite and plan on getting a 6-8 med x-fast carbonlite which i use for most single hook applications.What would u guys use this rod for i was thnking maybe weightless worms or drop shots?Idk but for the price i thought it was worth it now i just have to find a use for it.

#2 briansnat

briansnat

I am not a fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 05:27 AM

I use my Med light rod for tossins spinners, spoons, poppers, floating Rapalas and smaller jigs

#3 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:07 AM

I use my 7' ML/Fast Avid spinning rod almost exclusivly for drop shotting. I tend to use my M powered spinning rods for everything else.

The bee bop and skidoo is Banquet Perdue's signature move.

#4 S Hovanec

S Hovanec

Goby King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:22 AM

I use ML/XF rods for dropshotting. I'd use that one for sliders, small tubes and jerkbaits too light to throw with a baitcaster.

#5 craww

craww

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 07:21 AM

In addition to the above mentioned techs. Hair jigs, small cranks like the rebel craws and crickhopper, finesse texas rigs, drowning a nightcrawler under a bobber, etc.

#6 Stasher1

Stasher1

It's really not about catching fish at all.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 07:42 AM

I like a ML/XF for weightless/floating worms, inline spinners, dropshot, small finesse plastics.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."  -  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contrary to popular belief, "Shimano" is not the answer to every question.

#7 Dwight Hottle

Dwight Hottle

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'll use a light action action rod for jerkbaits sometimes just for the fun of hooking up big smallies on ligher tackle in open water. It's a gas.

CEO, VP, SECRETARY AND CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

#8 outdoorsman110

outdoorsman110

Kayak Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'll use a light action action rod for jerkbaits sometimes just for the fun of hooking up big smallies on ligher tackle in open water. It's a gas.

x2 but with LMB
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

#9 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have two ML spinning, and four ML BC rods. I use them when the weight of the bait is light enough to warrant that power and where I think I can still get a good enough hookset. And, as Dwight said, I will use MLs (and L and UL) to increase the "fight" of the fish... :)
Just fish...

#10 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevalle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 11:15 AM

I don't like a L or ML for texas rigging, not enough power to set the hook or pulling a decent fish thru some heavy slop. I do like them for open water fishing using any kind of a lure with exposed hooks and braid. I did have a 1# and a 4# on the same rattle rap the other day on ml clarus spinning, 2 on 1 lure with that rod was a trip.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#11 telmomarques

telmomarques

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 12:00 PM

i use ml for shaky head, dropshotting, darters and spilt shot rig with 7 lbs sunline sniper flurocarbon or 14 lbs stren braid

#12 Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Burnin' Gas and Catchin' Bass!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 03:28 PM

Topwater fishing, finesse, it would be a nice smallmouth rod, and it would toss Pointer 78's well.
And I don´t wanna think about tomorrow
I don´t need anything money can buy
I don´t have to beg, steal, or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

#13 Globadoc

Globadoc

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 05:03 PM

I picked up a field and stream tech spec.rod a dicks on clearance for $30 bucks a 6-10 med light/fast tip.

Dear Fishing Gods, please let my local Dick's put the Tec-Spec rods on clearance. And by the way, make it a day when I have disposable cash on hand. Thanks in advance!

#14 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have a Rage rod with the same ratings as the one you bought. I use mine for wacky rigs, grubs, light cranks and jerks, floating worms, and a ned rig. Just caught a good one on it today on the ned rig with half a zinker on a 1/16oz jighead, fun fight for sure.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#15 Globadoc

Globadoc

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 08:31 PM

I picked up a field and stream tech spec.rod a dicks on clearance for $30 bucks a 6-10 med light/fast tip.I already have a 6-6 med/fast carbonlite and plan on getting a 6-8 med x-fast carbonlite which i use for most single hook applications.What would u guys use this rod for i was thnking maybe weightless worms or drop shots?Idk but for the price i thought it was worth it now i just have to find a use for it.

I received a coupon in the mail for buy one, get one 1/2 price on Tec-Spec rods, so I may have to go get a couple of them. But in looking at the current lineup, there is no 6-10 ML. There is a 6-10 M/F Spinning designed for drop shop/shaky heads and a 6-10 MH/XF casting designed for soft swimbaits. You may want to recheck those technical specs (bad pun intended).

Edit: looks like the shaky head dropshot rod is a medium light, although it is listed on the tag as medium. My mistake and apologies.