fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Field And Stream Tec Spec Elite Casting Rod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 jkcherokee

jkcherokee

Fry

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 05 2012 - 10:19 PM

Anybody have any feedback on these? I hear its the best rod 80 bucks could buy, plus im gettin 25 percent off. Im putting a Quantum Escalade baitcaster on it. Any feedback on the setup?

#2 outdoorsman110

outdoorsman110

Kayak Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted May 05 2012 - 11:28 PM

Escalade.... Oh boy..

Yeah they're good rods.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

#3 jkcherokee

jkcherokee

Fry

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 07:50 AM

Any feedback on the escalde? Im having some issues settin it up right i think

#4 Ima Bass Ninja

Ima Bass Ninja

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 09:48 AM

i had an older escalade the one with a graphite frame. Not the new blue ones. Unfortunately it was junk. Anti reverse bearing went out within a year and it never performed as well as my other bait casters. I eventually just stripped all the parts and junked it.
"Givin' him the best of, everything that's left of
The life inside this man

I've been Born Again!!!!"

#5 outdoorsman110

outdoorsman110

Kayak Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 11:02 AM

You would been better off with the cheapest Shakespeare Baitcaster than the escalade. That thing is a nightmare. The best reel I can reccomend to you is a Daiwa Strikeforce 100H, Lew's Laser MG. the Daiwa goes for 30$ on eBay, best beginning reel in the world. And the Lew's goes for 79$ about as much as the escalade. Both are high quality reels.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

#6 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 04:34 PM

Any feedback on the escalde? Im having some issues settin it up right i think

I think you can get the old version Kintic for 80 bucks from Cabelas, that is a fantastic reel but these lowere tier, made for Dicks Sporting goods Quantums are pretty much junk. There are plenty of value priced reels that are good, like I said, the Kinetic can be had cheap and it originally was 120, it compares to another that you can find cheap, the Shimano Ctica E series and the BPS pro Qualifier.

#7 jkcherokee

jkcherokee

Fry

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 10:10 AM

Im looking right now at the Pinnacle Matrix XT or the F&S Tec Spec baitcaster. which one?

#8 Ima Bass Ninja

Ima Bass Ninja

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 01:31 PM

Im looking right now at the Pinnacle Matrix XT or the F&S Tec Spec baitcaster. which one?

Might i inquire why you have settled on only those 2? There are better deals to be had but not sure if you got a gift card or something from D's which is why you are set on buying from there.

But From those 2 choices..The F&S baitcaster. Why? Aluminum Frame.
The life inside this man

#9 trevor

trevor

Tog, Tautog, Blackfish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 04:18 PM

Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier is great, and on sale pretty often. Even so, it's retail is $100. In my opinion, it's around the $100 mark that baitcasters start to be of pretty decent quality. Not that all are, but that seems to be a rough estimate.
If that XS1000 is really just sitting in a box in your garage, PM me and I'll give you my address. I'll even pay shipping!

#10 jkcherokee

jkcherokee

Fry

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 07:45 PM

Might i inquire why you have settled on only those 2? There are better deals to be had but not sure if you got a gift card or something from D's which is why you are set on buying from there.

But From those 2 choices..The F&S baitcaster. Why? Aluminum Frame.

I picking dicks ones because I have 25% off anything I want at dicks since i work there

#11 Ima Bass Ninja

Ima Bass Ninja

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 07:58 PM

I picking dicks ones because I have 25% off anything I want at dicks since i work there

Ahh gotcha. That's a good reason. :D. Seriously though I would personally shoot for a name brand reel was sold in different stores like a revo or citica or kinetic. Etc. While I'm not against store brand reels ( quite the opposite actuall cause I own many bps pq's) I have found the " made exclusively for D's " reels subpar. What it really says to me is " we're gonna cut some coners so we can sell it to D's cheap and they can tack on their overhead cost" so I would stay away from the escalade or pinnacle. Shoot for the tech spec if you're set on those 2.
The life inside this man

#12 buzzfrog

buzzfrog

Just on the shore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 07:49 AM

get a quantium code, very nice, i broke my tec spec, for the money id get a triumph croix or sellus, hell save a bit and get a veritas

#13 webertime

webertime

~~~Here fishy fishy fishy~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 08:23 AM

Doesn't your DSG carry Citica's? or Orra's?
The current Escalade is just a Quantum Code with a blue paint job.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up...

Personal Bests:
Largemouth, 7lbs 0oz.
Smallmouth, 5lbs 4oz.
Wife 5'9"

#14 buzzfrog

buzzfrog

Just on the shore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 08:30 AM

Weber, I did not know that, my code is going on 2 years and I use it religiously.