bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Shallow River Smallies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 ironmike12

ironmike12

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 12:52 PM

I've been fishing a shallow river in southern Ohio and have not been able to consistently get bit. Does anyone have any favorite rigs and or baits for this type of situation. It is pretty rocky in most places. I have talked to a few guys who run light jig with a grub, not sure what I'm missing.

#2 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 01:51 PM

I fish a river like that here in PA. Spinnerbaits are a good option when you use the right combo for the conditions, like if the water is really clear I found that a 1/4oz or 3/8oz spinnerbait with nickel willow blades with a translucent color skirt and body works well. My favorite color spinnerbait is one I make that I call ghost blue illusion which is a pearl colored head with a skirt made of clear blue illusion which looks like pearl but when the light hits it at certain angles in gives off a blue hue, very deadly. I also like small 1/8oz to 3/16oz finesse jigs and of course tubes, and the tubes I keep it simple by using green pumpkin, natural pumpkin, and watermelon red flake for clear water and stained water I like to use green pumpkin flash which is green pumpkin with chartreuse and purple flake, black, and black neon. I like the tubes to be 2.75" to 3.5" and I'll always start with a 3.5" and then downsize depending on how the bite is, like if I'm getting bites but few hook ups I'll go down to a 3" tube and see how that works. Also a Manns 1 minus in bone or shad, a great crankbait for your type of water. The key to the spinnerbait and crankbait is to move them fast in clear water and slow it down in stained water, good luck.

#3 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 02:27 PM

the two rivers I have listed as my favorite are like that deepest spots are small bends that get maybe 4foot deep most of it is 2foot deep I like to throw flukes, grubs, light light jigs and tubes
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#4 elkriverangler

elkriverangler

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 09:15 AM

Sounds very similar to my Home Water here in WV.

All good advice so far but you should throw some 3-4" Senkos/Yum DIngers in the mix also. In Shallow RIvers you can Fish them Wacky or Texas Rigged drifted in moderate current as well as Eddys and slower Water.

Topwater Poppers like Rebel POP R, Rapala Skitter Pop and others can be pretty effective if conditions are right. I will use them even in the Dead of Summer on Shady Banks.

#5 mod479

mod479

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sounds very similar to my Home Water here in WV.

All good advice so far but you should throw some 3-4" Senkos/Yum DIngers in the mix also. In Shallow RIvers you can Fish them Wacky or Texas Rigged drifted in moderate current as well as Eddys and slower Water.

Topwater Poppers like Rebel POP R, Rapala Skitter Pop and others can be pretty effective if conditions are right. I will use them even in the Dead of Summer on Shady Banks.

^^ This.

I was also gonna suggest 3" or 4" senkos/dingers texas rigged with no weight, just let them drift naturally and watch your line closely. The river I fish is very shallow and snaggy, so I tend to texas rig more often than wacky style.

I've taken some nice fish on all black, green pumpkin, and watermelon candy colors...more often then not, the smallies wont hesitate to hit the 5" ones either, just experiment with color and size until you figure out what they want.

#6 Gavin

Gavin

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 09:58 AM

If the water is clear...I'd go with a walk the dog plug. Make a long cast upstream and work it back as fast as you can..Stained water...I'd probably go with a shallow running crankbait or a spinnerbait... Plastics on the bottom if all else fails.

#7 Michael DiNardo

Michael DiNardo

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:54 AM

Buzzbaits across deeper riffles.

Mike

#8 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • 4,938 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 01:40 PM

you could also try fly fishing that's my goal next spring for small mouth im gonna pack the fly rod and a spinning rod and wade the creek if I fail miserably at fly fishing I will have a spinning back up
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#9 ironmike12

ironmike12

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the awesome info everyone. I will be trying out all these tactics over the next few weeks. I only live a few minutes from the river. Thanks again for the help.

#10 mrmacwvu1

mrmacwvu1

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 12:24 PM

I live right on the border of west virginia and ohio

if you tell me the river you are fishing i might be able to help more

#11 ironmike12

ironmike12

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted June 25 2012 - 09:33 PM

I am fishing the little miami river in the cincinnati area. I caught two today with the advice from everyone. a very healthy 1.5 pounder and a 2.75 pounder to boot.

#12 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • 4,021 posts

Posted June 25 2012 - 11:02 PM

Very cool, I like to see advice produce!

Tom

Getting closer.

#13 Broke bass fisherman

Broke bass fisherman

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted June 25 2012 - 11:14 PM

Congrats. Sounds like a good day on or more likely in the water.

#14 mikebone

mikebone

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 08:43 AM

When nothing else works i go with some heavier rooster tails... they dont catch real big fish but if you wanna hook up on a few real quick ill throw the rooster tail, gives you some good convidence too

#15 Sean MD

Sean MD

Fry

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 05:43 PM

These are all great responses and most of the ones I was going to suggest have already been mentioned. I might add slow-rolling a white or white/chartruese spinnerbait near some rock formations.