bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

St. Croix Avid Vs Premier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 fo-mo-co

fo-mo-co

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 04:13 PM

So I am in the market for a new 6 foot casting rod. I think its down to the either the Avid or Premier rods. Is there anything that really makes the Avid worth 70$ more?

#2 Mr Swim Jig

Mr Swim Jig

Swim Jigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yes their is, The blank and the components used in the construction of the rod. Both rods are excellently made rods in the USA plus also with the Avid you do get a life time warranty instead of a 5 year warranty with the Premiere. But both rods are available for St Croix's trade up program.

#3 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 04:27 PM

It depends on what you want the rod for, if you are going to cast spinnerbaits and such you could get a premier, it is a good rod, it isn't quite as crisp as the Avid and it weighs a little more but nothing too drastic. If you want to use worms and jigs well the Avid would be the best bet as it is lighter and is more sensitive.

#4 fo-mo-co

fo-mo-co

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 05:02 PM

I am going to be casting a little of everything from small spinners to swim baits. I have bigger rods for larger baits but I am looking for a compact rod that will do a mixture of things well. I am going to pair it up with my Smoke 150 if that changes anything.

#5 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 05:06 PM

If money is no object go Avid, but Premiers are fine rods too. I wish St Croix would make the Avid with the Premier rear grip, not a fan of the "hump".
I am not afraid to suck.

#6 Will Wetline

Will Wetline

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 05:48 PM

I own both Premier and Avid rods and am well pleased with both. I'm willing to pay the extra $$ for the Avid, though, because they're lighter and this no-longer-young bassmaster appreciates that over the course of a 10 hour day.

The AS70MLF teamed with a Stradic 2500 does for me what Gandalf's wand does for him (I say modestly).

#7 fo-mo-co

fo-mo-co

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input guy. I was looking at G.Loomis but I think my money will buy me more with St. Croix. I wish money were no object but it is. I think I am going with the Premier. Unless you guys know where I can pick up an Avid for under 170.

#8 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 06:47 PM

Unless you guys know where I can pick up an Avid for under 170.

Used, they pop up all the time on here, ebay, bbc, etc..... I wouldn't hesitate to buy a nice used one. They are warranteed for life by St Croix, you can use the Gold Star service program they have, which is a no questions asked, original owner or not, $50 replacement fee for a broken rod. Avid and up are eligable for life, Mojo's Rage's, Premiers, and Triumphs for five years.
I am not afraid to suck.

#9 fo-mo-co

fo-mo-co

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 07:17 PM

I am coming from a Berkley Lightning rod. I just don't think it has a fast enough action. It feels nice and doesn't weigh to much but I feel it looks the hook setting power I hope the St. Croix will give me.

#10 00 mod

00 mod

Dink dropping how many lbers?

• Global Moderator
  • 6,495 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 07:21 PM

For $10 more they can be found anywhere with free shipping to boot. Do a search, you will find plenty!

Jeff

PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#11 00 mod

00 mod

• Global Moderator
  • 6,495 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 07:23 PM

http://www.bassresou...page__hl__+avid

7 footer in good condition shipped for $30 less than you wanted to spend right here on our forum!

Jeff

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#12 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 07:59 PM

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/103715-you-like-stcroix-and-daiwa-do-you/page__hl__%2Bavid

7 footer in good condition shipped for $30 less than you wanted to spend right here on our forum!

Jeff

Shhhh don't post that, I'm waiting for the wife's approval.

Tom

Getting closer.

#13 00 mod

00 mod

• Global Moderator
  • 6,495 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 08:02 PM

oh....sorry! If I didn't already have 2 of those, I would have snatched it up already. Just bought another avid today myself, AVC70mhm

Jeff

#14 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 08:02 PM

I use to love my premiers, then I get a hold of the avid and the hand hump alone just made them feel better in my hands. You can't go wrong with the lower priced premiers, they are stout and can take the abuse.

Tom

Getting closer.

#15 00 mod

00 mod

• Global Moderator
  • 6,495 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 08:04 PM

I use to love my premiers, then I get a hold of the avid and the hand hump alone just made them feel better in my hands. You can't go wrong with the lower priced premiers, they are stout and can take the abuse.

Ha Ha. Attemts at turning you so that the avid is still in the flea market! Nice!

Jeff