fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Frog Colors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 nickw234

nickw234

Is hooked on bass fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted June 25 2012 - 08:21 PM

I was looking to expand my hollow body frog collection. I was just wondering what colors you guys throw for cloudy and sunny days? Most lakes I fish are somewhat clear, but have a slight stain to them.
Thanks, Nick

#2 psuangler91

psuangler91

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted June 25 2012 - 09:03 PM

I've come to the conclusion that color doesn't matter with frogs. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I regularly fish a lake with gin clear water and get most of my blow ups away from the mat and have not noticed any one color that does better than the others. I catch them on black and red, bright green and yellow, brown, and dark green. I just won a club tournament on the Potomac with half my fish caught on frogs and I had five bites on a black and red but it started taking on water real bad and I didn't have another so I switched and got 4 more bites on a green and yellow. So here's my 2 cents, if they're biting frogs they're just worried about killing whatevers on top of the water, and half the time they're busting through a mat and probably never even see the colors.
"It's the ones you DON'T catch that keep you coming back."

#3 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 05:59 AM

Exactly what the previous poster said. But I have seen a color change switch slappers and followers to hook ups, but that usually is a once or twice a year deal. Most of the time when the frog bite is on, any color will do. I carry two colors, a translucent Green pumpkin color (Spro or SK KVD, both work well for me) for clear, semi open water, and something with a yellow belly, I don't care what color the back is,as long as it's green or brown, both work fine, thats a good general purpose use, use in any type of water, frog color. IDK what it is about black or white for me, every one else likes those colors, but I can't buy a bite on them.
I am not afraid to suck.

#4 Vinny Chase

Vinny Chase

Proverbs 18:21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 07:59 AM

Pearl belly..that is the beginning and end of what colors I look for in a frog.

#5 webertime

webertime

~~~Here fishy fishy fishy~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 08:38 AM

I've had a ton of fish fall for my Baby Blue colored Tru Tungsten frog. Color is the last thing I care about with frogs.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up...

Personal Bests:
Largemouth, 7lbs 0oz.
Smallmouth, 5lbs 4oz.
Wife 5'9"

#6 buzzfrog

buzzfrog

Just on the shore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yep, give em yellowish white or black, know I have lots of colors, most is for me to see the frog.
LOL I am probably the only person to throw the Halloween color spro frog, can see it a mile away

#7 Kyle Mahaffey

Kyle Mahaffey

Ground Pounder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 05:57 PM

Can you fish them by grass and fallen trees or is it only by lilly pads. I say this because it depends of the water level for me, sometimes I can get to the pads sometimes I cant.

#8 nickw234

nickw234

Is hooked on bass fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 06:01 PM

Can you fish them by grass and fallen trees or is it only by lilly pads. I say this because it depends of the water level for me, sometimes I can get to the pads sometimes I cant.

I can fish them by all three of those things. Grass, fallen trees and lilly pads.

#9 Kyle Mahaffey

Kyle Mahaffey

Ground Pounder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 06:37 PM

Nice. Looking forward to Frog fishing.

#10 WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi

Really looks like that...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 06:43 PM

I use a bright yellow leopard frog color with a white belly. I have used a darker bullfrog color, but the leopard frogs are more numerous here, so I use it almost exclusively now. Both of them catch fish. I think the action matters more than color. For that I like the Pad Crasher. The Live Target frog looks very similar, and works just as well for $5 more. I'll stick with the Crasher.
I married a moonshiner's daughter and love her still...

#11 buzzfrog

buzzfrog

Just on the shore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 08:23 PM

H rod, 65-80 braid, fast reel, palmer knot, boy you can toss those things into anything except a grinfer :)

#12 countryfried

countryfried

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 09:04 PM

just your greens will do fine. i have also noticed they will bust the bait regardless wat color it is

#13 BassThumb

BassThumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 09:34 PM

I don't think it matters a whole lot. I prefer black frogs, regardless of conditions. I've occasionally seen light colored frogs outfish black ones, but for the most part, I think you can get away with just black.

#14 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sunny days=black
cloudy days=black
anything in between=black
doesn't have to be solid black, can have red, yellow, blue, whatever other colors on it, as long as it's mostly black. Like others have said color doesn't seem to matter much but I've found I seem to hook up more often with black frogs. My theory is they can see it better so it makes it an easier target for them to get.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#15 buzzfrog

buzzfrog

Just on the shore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 10:20 PM

Sunny days=black
cloudy days=black
anything in between=black
doesn't have to be solid black, can have red, yellow, blue, whatever other colors on it, as long as it's mostly black. Like others have said color doesn't seem to matter much but I've found I seem to hook up more often with black frogs. My theory is they can see it better so it makes it an easier target for them to get.

must be some diff bass lol, i can only get away with black at night, or in the ponds i fish, right after a long, say 3 day rain, other than that crystal clear, like 3 feet down, only yellow or green/brown colors..