bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Buying Reels Off Ebay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 iabass8

iabass8

#@%$*&%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:17 PM

Im accustomed to buying things in store and I've never had to use ebay for fishing items...until i want a reel (another curado 50) thats d/c. Im a bit out of the loop on prices for these as i bought mine for 119.00 and 99.00 and am very aware tjese are worth north of 150. The cheapest i can find via ebay is 154.00. Standard now a days? Not a big deal just curious. Is paypal the best method as payment /w paypal smart connect? Am i instantly billed so i can pay it off? Is the shipping estimation correct? Ive had my debit card stolen where i was refunded but im not using that at all to pay to the seller. Do i have to put money into the paypal account first to use the smart connect? They gave me a credit limit so im not sure.
I know these answers are probably on the site but a lot of you buy off the nay alot amd are probably well versed with it.
Thanks guys.

#2 GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:24 PM

i would use paypal. paypal offers buy protection on anything you buy. paypal sends a transaction to your bank account for the amount of the purchase, then sends the amount to seller. so your bank info is never sent to seller. paypal is the safest way to buy things off of ebay.

#3 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yep, 50e's go for about 150 now, they're in demand (:

Anyways, Paypal is safest. I dont know what smart connect is, I just use regular Paypal. It doesn't always show up instantly though, sometimes it takes a day or two before I see it in my bank.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

DOWN WITH THE SHIMANO POSSE.

#4 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:33 PM

Is $154 for a new or used one?
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#5 iabass8

iabass8

#@%$*&%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:34 PM

So there isnt something to make monthly paymemts? I thought thats what i was looking at. Ive just become skeptical about storing bank info. Id rather one and done it myself.

#6 iabass8

iabass8

#@%$*&%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:34 PM

Is $154 for a new or used one?

New in box.

#7 irnwrkr

irnwrkr

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:37 PM

I use a reloadable gift card. Link it to paypal, and my bank account never gets involved.

#8 Loop_Dad

Loop_Dad

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:45 PM

The scam artists actually use the ebay / paypal to their advantage. Pay attention to your seller's rating. I don't go anyone less than 95% positive, I don't want to deal with problems. I also pay attention to how much transaction they have done in the past. Scammers open new account, and scam and disappear.

I also pay to Paypal with my credit card, instead of withdraw from my checking account. Paypal didn't always protect me and I was grad that I had credit card company's protection on my side.

How to Remove Hook from Gut-Hooked Fish -> http://everything-sm...d-fish-removal/

#9 GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:45 PM

So there isnt something to make monthly paymemts? I thought thats what i was looking at. Ive just become skeptical about storing bank info. Id rather one and done it myself.

paypal is the only one that has your bank account info. you could also use a prepaid credit card and just put money on it when u wanna buy something off paypal.

#10 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 05:48 AM

The scam artists actually use the ebay / paypal to their advantage. Pay attention to your seller's rating. I don't go anyone less than 95% positive, I don't want to deal with problems. I also pay attention to how much transaction they have done in the past. Scammers open new account, and scam and disappear.

I also pay to Paypal with my credit card, instead of withdraw from my checking account. Paypal didn't always protect me and I was grad that I had credit card company's protection on my side.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

I just started using ebay a few months ago and iv only bought from sellers that were 98% or higher all but one were 99% with upwards to 1000-3000 sales so I knew they were legit. Sense April iv won and bought 177 items/bids ALL of them were fishing lures or terminal tackle lol plus iv gotten some suff off the flea market here and paid with PayPal.

I also use my credit card mostly my bank card is on there but I choose to use my Capitol One card to have billed.
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#11 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,236 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 05:54 AM

i would use paypal. paypal offers buy protection on anything you buy. paypal sends a transaction to your bank account for the amount of the purchase, then sends the amount to seller. so your bank info is never sent to seller. paypal is the safest way to buy things off of ebay.

X2

Iabass, remember to oil and grease the reels you purchase on ebay.

If there are any problems with the reels please take them to a certified repair tackle shop or a local guy who works on reels and have the problem corrected.

I have never bought any reels off ebay but I have purchased a beautiful Kistler rod without any problems.
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#12 jeb2

jeb2

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 07:45 AM

I also agree with this. I like PP, but they do not have any of my bank info. I use my regular Bass Pro Visa to make purchases. So that is the only info PP has from me. They can not directly access any of my bank or checking accounts. PP forced me to get one of the CC's after I'd spent my limit of introductory allowed money, and the darn site defaults to that card even though I never activated the card. So I have to make sure to always take an extra step of choosing my BPS card instead. A little bit of a hassle, but worth it to me so that I don't have to give PP access to my bank accounts.
John B
08 Skeeter SL210, F225 Yamaha
Humminbird 798, 997, 1197

#13 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 08:20 AM

Be careful. I bought something off ebay, and 2 weeks later my credit card was compromised. Never use paypal again.
Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#14 Aluma-Bass

Aluma-Bass

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have bought several rods and reels off ebay with no issues! Don't buy from a seller with less then like 97% feedback.

#15 Busy

Busy

Patience

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 12:15 PM

I use PayPal; they allow you to edit your billing agreements yourself. I have it set up to e-mail me the transactions on everything so I'm always in the loop. If you buy something I think it automatically sets up a billing agreement for you, but after the purchase is complete, you can go into your account and cancel your billing agreement to avoid fraudulent charges by that seller in the future. This saved my rear when my Apple ID account got broken into. I saw the first charge for $25, cancelled my billing agreement with Apple through PayPal, reported the fraud to PayPal who then backcharged Apple for the $25 and then I reported the problem to Apple. Before I could even change my Apple ID password another $200 was charged to my Apple ID account but the charges never hit my bank account because PayPal was not authorized to pay Apple due to me cancelling the billing agreement. Apple understood and took the charges off of my account. This all happened within ~30 minutes of the first purchase; those fraudsters move fast.

Never had a problem on eBay but I always go with proven sellers. eBay will also protect your purchases. With the protection from PayPal, eBay, and your bank buying online is pretty safe. I would recommend not using your primary account with PayPal however, because if someone drains your account you could be stranded for a while before the charges are refunded.
"Superiority is not just a matter of secret techniques"
-Hagakure