bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Best Time To Use Top Water Frogs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn9106

Shawn9106

Bass Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:05 PM

Will frogs work other then in the morning and night ? im talking top water poppers

#2 CalebWVU

CalebWVU

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:13 PM

They'll work just about any time, but I'd say morning and night are generally more productive.

#3 Shawn9106

Shawn9106

Bass Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:49 PM

i never knew you could use them all day, i would quit about 10 in the morning and start back around 8ish at night haha

#4 webertime

webertime

~~~Here fishy fishy fishy~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 02:26 PM

How's this... Fished a tournament Saturday up on Missisquois Bay (Where David Dudley won the Champlain FLW). We gave the reef a break at noon and went to the backwater. Sunny, very few clouds, water is LOW (77 degrees) and the weeds/pads are lacking this year. I threw into 8" of very clear water near an isolated group of pads and had a 2lber smack my frog. We had several more blow ups before we got sketched out about getting the 522 we were in stuck and moved back to the reef. Fish them anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up...

Personal Bests:
Largemouth, 7lbs 0oz.
Smallmouth, 5lbs 4oz.
Wife 5'9"

#5 mikey5string

mikey5string

Slob.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 03:26 PM

All day.

The frog has been my number one produce this summer by far.

Bass LOVE frogs. Theyre a nice sized, easy meal loaded with protein. They live in the same places bass hunt; aquatic vegetation close to shore. They swim on top and cant see an ambush from below. I think a bass would go for a frog over chasing a shad or getting a mouthful of claws and shell any day.

I always have a rod with a frog tied on and I throw it at anything green close to shore. I will get hits as soon as it hits the water. If not, I will twitch it once and get hit. I rarely use them in open water or away from shore but have caught fish walking them in open water.

Frogs are a classic, proven bass bait, big bass too. I catch bigger bass more consistently with a frog than any other bait.

Jackall Iobee frog is a great one, it is expensive though. The boo yah pad crasher is a great lower priced alternative. The pastic is softer than other brands and allows for better hook up ratios.

#6 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 03:57 PM

The times to use frogs are very optional. I like to use them to try and find the fish in heavy cover. They will attack them all times of the day. Bass tend to hit topwater all day long as long as the conditions are right. Spooks work great, but not in heavy cover, which is when I use a frog. Down here in S Fl, I like to throw them in heavy pads, and see if there are any fish in the area. Its a hard bait to throw just because when you see the hit you tend to want to set the hook and pull them in. You have to be a little patient with them. BooYah is a great frog and I get better catch ratios with them. The best way is throw it, let it hit the water, let the ripples die out, then give it a few tugs, let it sit, and give it a few more. Keep repeating, and walk along the cover. Use heavy braid, and if you see the hit, give it a few seconds check for line tension, and if its there, set the hook. Its a tough skill to master, but when you get it down, it can be very rewarding.
Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#7 mikey5string

mikey5string

Slob.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 06:36 PM

plus one for lgmouths point about heavy cover. Youd be hard pressed to find a more weedless bait than a hollow body frog.

#8 iceintheveins

iceintheveins

Selective Harvest On Bass, Or Pay The Price

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:57 PM

I use frogs more in sunny conditions than in cloudy ones. This is because those conditions are conducive to bass holding under thick surface vegetation, and in shaded pockets along the shoreline. Both are the best places to throw a frog. So if you can't find thick vegetation, throw to the shoreline shade!
Better Bass Fishing Is My Mission