bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Feathered hooks on poppers ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 kyron4

kyron4

River Fishin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 07:57 AM

Most top water poppers have a "dressed" feathered treble hook on the rear. After so many fish they get pulled out and beat up and I replace the feathers. My question is does it make a difference to the bass ? Has anyone notice less his without feathers ? Do the add the extra atractant thats needed for top water fishing ? Is it worth the time to replace them ? -Thanks

#2 simplejoe

simplejoe

Wiggle it just a little bit!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 08:23 AM

I have poppers with feathers and some without and they all catch fish. It's just adds a little more flash with the feathers then without. It's more of what you like, if you don't like using feathers then don't, that popper will still catch fish either way. 8-)
Take the time to fish not only for yourself but, for your kids to learn and enjoy.

#3 bilgerat

bilgerat

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 11:47 AM

Being that bass only see the bottom of a popper (or most topwaters for that matter) I'd rather have a dressed treble adding a little flash more than worrying about the overall color.
"Paddle faster, I hear banjos"... 
 stronger, smoother, silenter, reliabler....

#4 bass or bass ?

bass or bass ?

I love catching bass and playing bass!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 04:52 PM

When the popper is sitting stationary on the surface, the feathers move subtly in the water. That motion is a definate plus for your lure.
~B.A.S.S.~N.A.F.C.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

#5 bassfisherjk

bassfisherjk

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 10:07 PM

I agree with Joe,it's personal preference.This Joe likes the dressed treble's on my popper's.

#6 Copen1822

Copen1822

Jiggermiester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted January 31 2010 - 11:21 PM

This Joe likes the dressed treble's on my popper's.

X2

#7 Crestliner2008

Crestliner2008

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 07:56 AM

I concur as well. Although I've caught bass without feathers, the addition seems to attract more strikes. Just like adding a scent to a plastic bait. Just a bit of a confidence boost.

On all my poppers, I replace the stock dressed treble with a Sure Set dressed treble. I just like the way this hook snatches those short strikers!  ;)
Posted Image
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

#8 moloch16

moloch16

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 03:21 PM

To me the feathered treble looks like a fish tail in the water and definitely adds a little extra bait-fish type action.  A lot depends on the mood of the fish I've seen fish come up to inspect the bait carefully before striking and other times they come flying out of nowhere and hit it like a 500 car freight train - those fish didn't notice the life-like feather treble  ;D
Currently Fishing Shearon-Harris

#9 bassman31783

bassman31783

Catching Bass / Playing Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 05:46 PM

I always have a dressed hook on all my poppers & suspending jerkbaits.  I don't know if they literally catch me more fish, but I sure fish them with greater confidence which in turn makes them better.