• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBrandon, Mississippi
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Ross R Barnett

Posted September 28 2012 - 01:28 PM

I carved a topwater bait out of a piece of oak I found lying on the ground. It started out as me trying to combat boredom and just started carving away. I found an old devil horse that was broken and took the parts off of it and attached it to my creation. I didn't even paint and cast it out a few times just to see what the action was like. Caught a little two pounder off of it. Been thinking about painting it and trying it out again. Anyone done anything like this before?

Posted Image

#2 mikey5string

mikey5string

Slob.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Favorite Lake or River:Saltonstall

Posted September 28 2012 - 08:03 PM

I want to do something like that with scraps of wood. Even the end of an old broomstick would make a decent plug. I like the prop!

how did you put the hooks on? I was thinking of buying some small eye bolts and screwing them in. Id imagine youd have to pre drill the wood and glue them too. Getting them straight would be tough for me. I only have a cordless drill.

Topwaters are great lures to get started with. As long as it floats and splashes youll eventually catch something, maybe even catch a lot. I might paint it all white, maybe some glitter and throw some finish on it to make it glossy. There is a popular saltwater surface plug that looks like a wooden dowel painted white, dusted with blue glitter and packaged for about $10!

#3 Kenneth Lee Owen

Kenneth Lee Owen

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty interested in maybe making more stuff like this in different colors. I'm not sure where I would get more stuff to mount hooks and stuff yet. I took the hook mounts off of the devil horse that was broke. its just a tiny little bracket thing that is screwed into the bottom. I'm thinking about finding some plastic and making another one with a bill on it to make a shallow diving crank of some kind. Considering how much good topwater baits cost it may be a lot cheaper to make this stuff myself if I can paint good finishes and make them strong enough to withstand the bigger fish.

If you make something at some point I'd be interested in seeing how you constructed it, maybe bounce some ideas off each other haha.

#4 islandbass

islandbass

Tsunekichi!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationWA State

Posted October 01 2012 - 05:59 PM

Goes to show fish don't care about paint jobs at times. Good job! Careful though. Lure making is a side addiction to fishing. :eyebrows: I'm with you on the cost of baits getting pricey. Other good woods to use are pine, basswood and balsa.

The first two are strong enough to not need thru-wire construction.

I am not a painter but I do alright with a regular paint brush.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I really like this one. The use of sharkteeth has become my m.o. or trademark.

Posted Image

#5 Kenneth Lee Owen

Kenneth Lee Owen

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:25 PM

Man thats some cool stuff. What type of paint do you use and where do you get the supplies, like hardware, hooks, and such. If you don't mind me asking. I'm really interested in making some more baits myself but I'm not sure what type of stuff I need. Or would be best.

#6 MALTESE FALCON

MALTESE FALCON

IN SEARCH OF THE WORLD RECORD SMALLMOUTH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationLAKE ST. CLAIR MICHIGAN
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake St. Clair & St. Clair River

Posted October 04 2012 - 08:10 PM

You can get all the components you need at www.jannsnetcraft.com . I buy my screw eyes, splitrings, and stick-on eyes there. Very dependable.

Falcon
LAKE ST. CLAIR, MICHIGAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users