Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aluma-Bass

Jig Weight

16 posts in this topic

Curious on what jig size weight everyone is using for depth say 15ft or less?

Usually something between 1/8 and 1/2 depending on the jig and mood of the fish. A 3/16 shakyhead with a Zoom Trickworm or a 3/8 skirted jig with a Paca craw are my go-to baits right now.

1 oz Mata Jig or Big O from Siebert Outdoors/ Rage Tail Lobster.

I haven't fished the NorthStar Black Series yet, but it looks GREAT to me!

For me jig weight is determined by my ability to keep contact with the bottom. Varies with wind, waves, drifting or anchored up. Sometimes a heavier jig will let you tap bottom to actually call the fish in with the noise when fishing over rock. Like rattles in a crank bait.

1 person likes this

1/4 or 3/8

3/8-1/2 oz or 1/4 oz for small presentations

Curious on what jig size weight everyone is using for depth say 15ft or less?

Too many variables to toss out an answer; type of jig, type of cover if any, type of structure if applicable, lake, pond , river etc, type of bass, type of trailer.....

Tom

Most of the time I throw 3/8-1/2.

1/4 or 1/2. Those are the only two jig sizes I own anyway. I'll mess with the trailer if I want a faster/ slower fall rate. Also, I'm talking about casting jigs, not pitching/ flipping, which as I understand is a different ball game altogether.

3/8 or a 1/2 for me.

For me jig weight is determined by my ability to keep contact with the bottom. Varies with wind, waves, drifting or anchored up. Sometimes a heavier jig will let you tap bottom to actually call the fish in with the noise when fishing over rock. Like rattles in a crank bait.

Excellent reply !

I usually start with 3/8 and go up or down from there.

Aluma, great question - difficult answer as you can note by the above posts.

Here is what i see other guys doing with jig heads:

Standard Jig Head

Use 1/16 to 3/8 an add the plastic of their choice.

Jig head weight depends on the fall rate you want to present and the distance you want to throw it.

On Buggs Island we use the 3/8 to fish the rocky points and stump fields.

On Lake Chesdin we use a lighter weight jig head as we fish the shore and grass lines with pitching and flipping techniques.

On the Historic James River we throw the size needed depending on the tides for the lower James below Richmond.

On the upper James from Bosher's Dam towards Charlottesville we do the same although the current is not as large a factor as it is below Richmond and the tidal James.

Jigs and Pigs

If you want to discuss jigs and pigs you know what to throw on the upper James for the smallies.

You may want to parallel that jig weight with a jig head and plastic presentations.

I throw jig heads and plastics on a spinning rig with 8 pound flourocarbon.

I throw jigs and pigs on a baitcaster with 12 to 17 pound flourocarbon test unless I am throwing the size you need for the upper James when I use a spinning rig.

I will send you a PM about the best jig head on the market. They are not cheap but their hooks are long and very strong and they are outstanding jig heads.

1/4 or 3/8

1-8? fow 3/8-5/8 oz

8-15' fow= 5/8-1 oz

Depends on the wind, and we usually have plenty. 3/8-3/4 most of the time for me.