Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sdaversa

Question About Braided Line?

7 posts in this topic

I just bought 15lb SpiderWire braided line, but totally forgot that braided line has a much thinner diameter than mono, which I had been using. My question is whether or not I should just put on this new line or go return it and get the same line with heavier lb test to take advantage of the smaller diameter of the line. My spinning reel is rated for 12-16lb mono and this 15lb braid has the diameter of 4lb mono.

Apologies for the dumb question. This is my first time buying new line haha.

Thanks in advance!

I'd be more concerned about it on a baitcaster (digging in). I use thin braid all the time on spinning setups (esp. saltwater). I think you'll be fine.

in my opinion, it would be personal perference. I use braid on all my gear and with spinning I use 8/30. 30 lb test but 8 pound diameter. I use it because I can still put a lot of line on my reels but if you drop down to 4 lb diameter you will need more line to fill the reel up. Or you can just use more backer line and less braid.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Much appreciated.

I use either 15 or 20 lb braid (4 or 6 lb mono diameter) on all my spinning reels, works great! I do fill 1/4 or 1/2 of the spool with mono first though, you can still put a lot of braid on there...

Good to know! Thanks!

I use 15# Power Pro on my reels. Like jkarol24, I use cheap mono backing, leaving room for 50-60 yards of the braid.