• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Ponds and lakes in the middle of NO WHERE

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:13 PM

Ive read quite a few posts on here about winter and all of the articles.. But theres still some mising what about pond fishing in the winter.. IVe only been out a handfull of time.. id say about 6-8 times 4-6 hour sessions on the bank and ive only gotten 2 bites Anything you bank fishermen know that might help?

The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you? –Lee Wulff

#2 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:54 PM

Oh and water temp is 39 -41 in the pond..

The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you? –Lee Wulff

#3 birdseyelespaul

birdseyelespaul

Fry

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFuquay Varina, NC
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Sharon Harris, Barkley, Kentucky Lake

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:17 PM

Grizzn, I am not the most knowledgeable fisherman but I can tell you what I've been told because I have asked the same questions. Obviously the bass will be deep but they are catchable. As a matter of fact, my buddy sent me an article that said to use jigs,flat sided crankbaits, jigging spoons, and jerkbaits. I have tried drop shotting too. I caught my first November bass a couple of days ago. I was using a red tomato colored, salt infused finesse worm with a drop shot rig. If you don't know what it is, its very effective in the summer time and now I'm trying to figure it out in fall/winter. I love a drop shotted worm or minnow. Also, fish very slow. All the hits I got on my worm were very light. Going again Saturday. Gonna try to fish some bass jigs. Should be interesting.

#4 CoBass

CoBass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have been fishing a small pond lately with water temps in the upper 30's to lower 40's and have been having success casting a 1/4 oz blade bait to deeper water and hopping it off the bottom like a spoon. Most hits have been on the fall. I like the blade because it creates a lot of vibration and flash when it is ripped off the bottom and it has a good fluttering action on the fall. I use the same technique in the Spring right between ice off and pre-spawn when the water is cold and the fish are still a little sluggish.

#5 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Topwater Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationKY
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Middle Fork of Kentucky River

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:08 PM

Banking it this time of year can be tough, I'm no expert myself, but getting skunked is pretty common in the late Fall for me. Try to find the deep spots, those with cover will likely be the best. I seem to do best with small jigs and Senkos, just dragging them real slowly, but hard jerkbaits, tubes, among others all can catch fish. Live bait can be hard to beat this time of year too, if your into that. Good luck!

#6 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/westgateclayton
  • LocationGardner, KS
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Kansas:Largemouth-Wabaunsee, Smallmouth-Milford, Spots-Bourban State Lake.
    Missouri:Largemouth-Hazel Creek Lake, Smallmouth-Elk River, Spots-Table Rock

Posted November 30 2012 - 01:04 AM

We fish ponds all winter long if they don't freeze up. Last year we fished jerkbaits all winter long, even when there was ice on parts of the ponds, and we caught fish all winter long fishing from the bank. The key is long pauses, over 30 seconds a few days when the water temps were in the mid 30's. The water temps you have should be great for jerkbaiting if the water is fairly clear. Try some smaller baits like a 65 or 78 pointer in natural colors.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

#7 PondBoss

PondBoss

Big ole Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGuthrie, Oklahoma
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted November 30 2012 - 09:06 AM

Personally from my studies and experiences, fish live both deep and shallow year round. While I do agree with the above posts that fish can be found slow and deep, I think you'd be surprised how many fish you will catch fishing fast and shallow. Not top water shallow, but less than 6 feet. A couple of years back I had one of my best winter days ever while I was standing on the ice and casting to holes I made by throwing big stones. I was even able to see a turtle and a catfish swimming under my feet. That day I caught all of my fish on 1/8 oz spinner baits fished maybe 2 ft deep in 4-6 ft of water. Fish are a lot like people in that they may go on vacation, but they don't move. If you can find cover fish it fast first, then let it rest and come back slow. I think you maybe surprised how many you catch on the first pass.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese :)

#8 thehooligan

thehooligan

Tackle Shop is closed !!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:12 AM

Only thing thats been working for me lately is lipless cranks, jerkbaits, and dropshot.

#9 quanjig

quanjig

Yep......... That's a Northstar jig alright.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Twitter:ufishy
  • LocationNoVa
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Occoquan Reservoir

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:35 AM

Small jigs with a finess worm on the back as a trailer has been my go to for years while pond fishing in winter. 3/16-1/4 oz bitsy bug with a small RI flirt worm is deadly! Small hops and boom, fish on!
If you didn't already know, The Black Keys are for real.

Love is the coal that makes this train roll, let me be your everlasting light - TBK

#10 wademaster1

wademaster1

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:58 AM

SLOW on the bottom

#11 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Kiss my bass!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg Va
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Anna Va.

Posted November 30 2012 - 11:59 AM

Small jigs with a finess worm on the back as a trailer has been my go to for years while pond fishing in winter. 3/16-1/4 oz bitsy bug with a small RI flirt worm is deadly! Small hops and boom, fish on!

X2, Bitsy jigs with a flirt worm, killer !!!

Small hops as Quanjig says and they will eat them up !!!
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#12 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:02 PM

so it looks like im going to go and buy some jerk baits and give em a try and ill pick up a few rat-l that are are smaller than the ones i have.. how about spinners.. any blade prefence i should rig up i can prob rig about 4-5 different colors on the smaller spinner bc im not touching my summer spinner patterns!!!

#13 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:07 PM

thanks for all the tips.. what pound test do you use in ponds. ive got 15 pound fluro on my 2 baits caster... and 6 pound on my dropshot set up.. im sure the fish are even more finikie in teh winter and i think im scaring them with the line!!!

#14 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:10 PM

We fish ponds all winter long if they don't freeze up. Last year we fished jerkbaits all winter long, even when there was ice on parts of the ponds, and we caught fish all winter long fishing from the bank. The key is long pauses, over 30 seconds a few days when the water temps were in the mid 30's. The water temps you have should be great for jerkbaiting if the water is fairly clear. Try some smaller baits like a 65 or 78 pointer in natural colors.

I saw many vids and read articles on this. but i left all my planos of jerkbaits at my uncles. i guess.. do you know if they have a blue gill pattern?

#15 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/westgateclayton
  • LocationGardner, KS
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Kansas:Largemouth-Wabaunsee, Smallmouth-Milford, Spots-Bourban State Lake.
    Missouri:Largemouth-Hazel Creek Lake, Smallmouth-Elk River, Spots-Table Rock

Posted November 30 2012 - 06:56 PM

I saw many vids and read articles on this. but i left all my planos of jerkbaits at my uncles. i guess.. do you know if they have a blue gill pattern?

Yeah several companies make bluegill colors. I still have best luck with golden shiner, bass, and shad colors. I really had a lot of success with the Excalibur Erratic shads. They sit very still in the water and have a subtle, deadstick action, and they're a good sized baits that catch all sizes of fish.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users