fishing line

bass fishing

fishing rods

Fishing Tips

bass fish

fish for bass

fishing tips

Jerkbait Rod ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 boogie

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hey guys, what kind of rods do you use for jerbaits ?

Poisson On !

#2 Phish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 12:15 AM

I just started using a Dobyns Champion 704CB this year. Ratings: 7′ 8-14lb, 1/4-3/4oz, Medium Mod/Fast. Its listed specialties are: Crankbaits, Jerkbaits, Poppers, Sammys, Gunfish, Staycee 90.

I took a long time to decide on a perfect jerkbait dedicated rod, and I got advice direct from the company - this was recommended as the ideal jerk bait rod. I only have a few trips with it but the action does seem ideal. Also double up with this rod on shallow cranks. I've been on a Dobyns kick lately so it's hard for me to suggest anything else, but I'm sure there are similar action rods out there.

#3 Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,802 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 01:47 AM

St. Croix Avid 6' 2" M/XF. I can really make my bait do whatever I need it to do with the extra fast tip.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Please read the Forum FAQs

Fishing Videos!

#4 Fishes in trees

Fishes in trees

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm short (5'7") and I find if I use too long a rod for fishing jerk baits I'm smacking it into the boat as I jerk down. Several years ago I found a 6'3" med light Shimano spinning rod with an extra fast tip. I throw jerk baits (mostly Pointers) on 14 lb Fireline with a fluorocarbon leader. It works ok.

I'm on the lookout for a better set up, but I haven't found one yet. I'd consider a bait caster for jerk baits except generally when the jerk bait bite is on it is windy, and I'm not real good at throwing jerk baits into the wind with a bait caster. So that is that
north of Richmond, MO

#5 KevO

Eat. Sleep. Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 04:43 PM

Dobyns 685cb is what im using. I love it.

#6 roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • 35,212 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:43 AM

St. Croix Avid AVC66MF/ Scorpion/ #12 Sunline Super Natural Monofilament

Fishing Videos!

#7 Hanover_Yakker

Hobie Fishing Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:16 AM

Like Bluebasser and roadwarrior - the AVIDs are awesome. I have a 6'8" M/XF casting model I have paired with my Revo Inshore, because I use the rod also in the saltwater for flounder, stripers, specks and reds. When I am using it as a jerkbait rod, although the reel is spooled with 30lb. PP braid, I use a leader at least 3-4' in length. Doesn't appear to affect the presentation on my LC SP78's or MirrOlures one bit!
Hobie Fishing Team
Powerteam Lures
Bull Bay Rods
Power-Pole Shallow Water Anchor

#8 J Francho

J Francho

• Global Moderator
  • 22,036 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:48 AM

St. Croix Avid 6' 2" M/XF. I can really make my bait do whatever I need it to do with the extra fast tip.

I use the same rod.

Everything in moderation.

Fishing Videos!

#9 robdob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 06:37 PM

the best jerkbait rod on the market is the denali micheal murphy signature series jerkbait rod

#10 flippin and pitchin

flippin and pitchin

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 10:28 PM

I also use the Dobyns Champion 704CB with a Lews Tournament Pro and #10 YoZuri Hybrid. I know a couple of guys who like the 685CB but I prefer a 7' rod.

#11 The one that got away

The one that got away

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 11:26 PM

I use an Avid AVC66MF with a Curado 51e and 10# mono. Good jerkbait rod. I also use it for shallow and lipless cranks, and for topwater action. It gets a lot of use. I was thinking of selling it, but then thought better of it - I don't think there's a better rod for that price range.

#12 Dwight Hottle

Dwight Hottle

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 11:01 AM

Medium heavy moderate action. Croix makes them in the Avid line & Legend Extreme lines. Will handle baits up thru one ounce.

#13 Dave Hull

Dave Hull

let's go fishin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 09:04 PM

I have 2 favorites an Avid AS66MF paired with a 3000 Stradic FJ and a Legend Tournament TBS71MF paired with an older size 4000 Stradic FG. Not sure which one I like the best. The Avid is less tiresome to fish all day but when it gets windy the Legend really punches through it better.

#14 mod479

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:00 AM

Casting gear: Dobyns 704cb (7' Medium/Moderate)
Spinning gear: Dobyns 703sf (7' Medium/Fast) OR Abu G. Vendetta (6'6" M/F)

I like to use the vendetta for soft plastic jerks, lots of control with that rod. It's much stiffer however, than the 2 dobyns I have listed. The difference here is I can drive a 2/0 skip gap into the fishes mouth much better with the vendetta. The dobyns are softies. They're for use with treble hooks...keeps them buttoned right up.

#15 KYntucky Warmouth

KYntucky Warmouth

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:25 AM

I use two rods for jerkbaits the first is my tube rod, a 7'M/XF Zillion, and the other is my shallow crank rod, a 6'10''MH/F Gen 1 e21 Carrot Stix Gold. The action of the e21 is slower that a normal F and is underpowered for a MH but it makes a perfect jerkbait/crankbait rod. The Zillion is a stiff little booger and overpowered for a M but works well with a fast snap retrieve.