• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Middlefork River, Elkhorn Creek,
    Cumberland Lake, Lake Linville, Cedar Creek Lake

Posted December 11 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys i need some advice for bass fishing this time of year. I just completed my first semester of college. Everything went well, i now have a lot of free time. It is to cold to dirt bike, so ive been thnking about doing some fall bass fishing. The pond/small lake i fish is a great location during the summer, even with the harsh temperatures that southeastern kentucky has to offer. I have always heard the best times to fish are early spring and late fall. I havent done either so i need some help. This pond is deep in areas, i will only be walking the banks. There is a lot of vegetation and cover. What baits would be best? Itll be impossible to use a jig, im thinking about using the old faithful fluke and maybe even the scum frog. Any advise? I havent been in this sport long so bare with me.
Best of luck to everyone from the Bluegrass State!!

#2 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/westgateclayton
  • LocationGardner, KS
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Kansas:Largemouth-Wabaunsee, Smallmouth-Milford, Spots-Wilson State Lake.
    Missouri:Largemouth-Hazel Creek Lake, Smallmouth-Elk River, Spots-Table Rock

Posted December 11 2012 - 01:27 PM

This is a tough time of year to just be getting into bass fishing. Unfortunately one bait you've already ruled out would be one of my top picks to catch bass this time of year. Bass are cold blooded so as the water gets cold their metabolism slows way down and they become much less active. I really doubt you could get anything to eat a scum frog by this time of year. You may be able to get some on a fluke but I'd have a lot more confidence in a hard jerkbait like a pointer or Xrap. A lightly weighted finesse worm drug along the bottom or a 1/4 or 1/8 ounce spinnerbait with a single colorado bladed spinnerbait reeled just fast enough to turn the blade would be some good baits to start with.
  • Goose21 and wademaster1 like this

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 Bankbeater

Bankbeater

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,657 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted December 12 2012 - 06:46 AM

I would try fishing a weightless fluke around the vegetation.
Catching dinks in Missouri

#4 txbassassassin

txbassassassin

Fry

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 12:45 PM

I picked up some of the new 'silent' 1/2 oz strike king red-eyed shad lipless cranks and tore them up in stained 55 degree water last weekend. Casting it along grass lines and pulling in as slow as I could to keep it above the grass with little pops periodically I caught about 15 1-3lb'ers in a 4 hr period - windy/overcast day - pre cold front conditions. Best color was chrome blue back and sexy shad with the red eye. I have become a really big proponent of the silent cranks in all varieties from both Bomber and Strike King.

#5 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • 33,028 posts
  • LocationGermantown, TN
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick Lake
    Tennessee River

Posted December 13 2012 - 12:57 PM

You might want to look into what this guy is doing:

http://www.bassresou...l/#entry1202814

:xmas-115:

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#6 bassh8er

bassh8er

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNebraska
  • Favorite Lake or River:My pond

Posted December 17 2012 - 12:24 AM

You might want to look into what this guy is doing:

http://www.bassresou...l/#entry1202814

:xmas-115:

That would work if he could use a jig, which he already said, and I quote, "Itll be impossible to use a jig".

Having said that, I would fish something slow, and methodically. Like basser said, I wouldn't pick this time of year to start throwing a Scum Frog, but the weather in Nebraska is a little different than in KY.

#7 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • 33,028 posts
  • LocationGermantown, TN
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick Lake
    Tennessee River

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:48 AM

There are always spots where you can fish a jig. Otherwise, the Fat Ika weightless and weedless is another option.
  • Nitrofreak likes this

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#8 wademaster1

wademaster1

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Favorite Bass:All three

Posted December 17 2012 - 09:51 AM

X2 on what bluebasser said, plastics slow on bottom works for me in colder times

#9 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Professional Underwear Model

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg Va
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Anna Va.

Posted December 17 2012 - 11:04 AM

There are always spots where you can fish a jig. Otherwise, the Fat Ika weightless and weedless is another option.

X2

Since the OP said he was shore bound as well, reaching these fish may be next to impossible if the bass are in the deeper sections and they are beyond casting distance, however, jig's such as a grass/brush jig should help him get in that tough stuff and come through it, I have had several really thick vegetation areas that I fish with Seibert Outdoor's jigs, they come through pretty good, although I am not familure with this particular area in the OP's post, I feel pretty confident the quality jigs that are out there will/should be able to perform this task.

That's what these jigs do, it's what they are designed for, If they did not work as intended, I personally would be speaking to someone and give them some feedback about the performance of their product to help them make the product better.

My thought is that it could be possible the OP just simply does not have the right jig for the scenario he/she is presented with.
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users