fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Any Idea Who Makes......?

Best Answer dropshot40 , February 13 2013 - 08:23 PM

AN update to 2013 product.. Rods continued to be made by GLV international... Baitcast reels are transitioned to Danco from Quantum... Spinning reels im not sure on full assortment but see some going to Danco instead of Wright Mcgill... The X-Factor line of Rods/Reels/Jigs/Spinnerbaits are discontinued...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 coak

coak

I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Scioto River.....5th Ave Bridge or Twin Rivers by the Post Office

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:30 PM

I was looking at some of the house brand Gander Mountain rods. In particular the GSX Elite II and the GSX Titanium split grip casting rods. I'm just curious if anyone has either experience with these or may know who the house brand blanks are made by????

Thanks,
Coak

#2 Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Burnin' Gas and Catchin' Bass!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:47 PM

I am not positive about the GSX Elite II, but the GSX Titanium GSX Tourney, and X-Factor rods are all produced and labeled by Quantum.
And I don´t wanna think about tomorrow
I don´t need anything money can buy
I don´t have to beg, steal, or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

#3 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Favorite Lake or River:Silver Lake (WNY)
    Conesus Lake (WNY)

Posted December 26 2012 - 10:00 PM

No idea, but I remember once 4 or 5 years ago I broke my 7' MH/F St Croix Avid casting rod, and didn't have another rod at the time for a back up. While I sent the broken Avid in and waited for the new one, I ran up to Gander Mtn. and bought a 7' MH rod for like $75 bucks to use in the mean time. I was very impressed with it and I kept and used it for a couple months even after I had the replacement Avid. I have since given the rod to my cousin and he still uses it. It was a nice rod for not alot of $$. Fuji reel seat, fuji black framed alconite guides, nice cork etc..
I am not afraid to suck.

#4 coak

coak

I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Scioto River.....5th Ave Bridge or Twin Rivers by the Post Office

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well thanks for the info junkie and farmer. I'm going to perhaps take a closer look at these and see how they feel. I appreciate the info for sure.

#5 BASSclary

BASSclary

Steezy in the crease.

• Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationStafford, VA
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Potomac RIver;
    Curtis Lake;
    Burke Lake.

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:21 PM

Its obvious that their reels are pretty much quantums,

But the rods bare no resemblance IMO.

I have heard that Either All Star or St.Croix make them, but their is no real proof i've seen.

Rage Tail
Seaguar

DOWN WITH THE SHIMANO POSSE.

#6 Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Burnin' Gas and Catchin' Bass!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:29 PM

Its obvious that their reels are pretty much quantums,

But the rods bare no resemblance IMO.

I have heard that Either All Star or St.Croix make them, but their is no real proof i've seen.

I was told Quantum manufactured them by a GM associate, but as some models are labeled on the rod I'm assuming would be fairly easy to check for yourself.
And I don´t wanna think about tomorrow
I don´t need anything money can buy
I don´t have to beg, steal, or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

#7 YoungProdigy19

YoungProdigy19

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake St. Clair
    Lake Ryerson

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:52 AM

Gander reels and rods are quantum.

#8 dropshot40

dropshot40

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York and In Between
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:35 PM

As a person who has worked for Gander for 4 years I can shed alot of info on the particulars of their private brand label. First off their reels. The Baitcasters are Quantums. Most of them are stamped on the reel and if not the boxes are.  The spinning reels are kinda split up. The Guide Series, Tournament, and Titanium Reels are currently produced by Wright McGill. Wright took over producing these reels sometime in late spring early fall of 2012. Previous to that the reels were produced by a company called Danco out of Florida. That was a short lived venture of about a year. And before that the reels were done by Pflueger. The only reel left still produced by Pflueger is the X-Factor Spinning. As for the Gander Mountain rods (As well as other retailers and even so called manufacturers) they are produced by the largest manufacturer of rods in the world GLV international. They currently are producing rods for just over twenty companies (Big Box retailers as well as a bunch of Rod/Reel companies which will remain nameless. http://www.glvint.com/index.html

Gander has been using this company for three years. Previous to that it was A Bos Ltd. This doesnt downgrade their quality whatsoever, alot of their rods are high quality with high quality components. I personally love the GSX Elite II. They are light, excellant actions, awesome components, and a great warranty. The Gander I was at we took back any Gander brand rod at any time with no questions asked. I made sure my guys followed this to a tee. It had our name on it. I I never liked some of the rod companies warranties. (Send us a check for 50$ and we will repair or replace etc) So I made sure we took it back and swapped it out with the same or comparable rod. No do all stores do this Im not sure, some may stay strict to the policy (1 year, 2 year etc)..  If your curious sometimes about who makes something for a company look at the first 4 digits of the UPC. That is the manufacturer specific code. Many times retailers will not change this for their system (more work involved) and some will. At Gander when we private labeled something it went under the 4000 UPC beginning. But some items were never changed and left with the manufacturer UPC index. PS incase you ask the Gander Mountain soft plastics are all produced by Big Bite Baits.

#9 webertime

webertime

~~~Here fishy fishy fishy~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, VT
  • Favorite Lake or River:Champlain

Posted January 02 2013 - 08:44 AM

2013 Post of the year so far!  Thanks DS40

If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up...

Personal Bests:
Largemouth, 7lbs 0oz.
Smallmouth, 5lbs 4oz.
Wife 5'9"

#10 A-Jay

A-Jay

The harder I work, the luckier I get ~

• Members
  • 5,845 posts
  • Location~ 45th Parallel North ~
  • My PB:Between 11-12 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie for Smallies & Lake Baccarac for Largemouth

Posted January 02 2013 - 08:49 AM

who the house brand blanks are made by????

Thanks,
Coak

I think his name is Fred . . something.

:eyebrows:

A-Jay

President of the Scrounga Club
~ Semper Paratus ~

#11 G3Boats

G3Boats

USA Retired On The Potomac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouthbridge,VA
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Tidal Potomac

Posted January 02 2013 - 10:04 AM

Exactly three years ago I picked up a Titanium 6'6" IM8 M baitcaster on sale for $75 (regular price $100) on year end sale and it has proven to be one heck of a rod.  The thing only weighs 4 oz and you can throw cranks all day on it without  getting tired.  The cork still looks new and it really gets a work out.  I don't know who made that one, but they sure did a great job with quality components.

#12 dropshot40

dropshot40

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 10:53 AM

The blanks are manufactured by GLV. They do not buy blanks. They purchase the graphite and produce them. Now I couldnt tell yah where they buy the graphite from.

#13 dropshot40

dropshot40

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 08:23 PM   Best Answer

AN update to 2013 product.. Rods continued to be made by GLV international... Baitcast reels are transitioned to Danco from Quantum... Spinning reels im not sure on full assortment but see some going to Danco instead of Wright Mcgill... The X-Factor line of Rods/Reels/Jigs/Spinnerbaits are discontinued...

#14 Diggy

Diggy

I fish by foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Spotted
  • Favorite Lake or River:Canal de Snakehead

Posted March 21 2013 - 06:59 AM

They had so much new stuff there this week, this thread helped alot

A fish a day, keeps the skunks away.

#15 Triton Man

Triton Man

Michigan Bass Fisherman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationPortage, MI

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thank you DS40 for all the info.  I shop at Gander Mtn frequently and always wondered about the rods and reels.  I have a guide series rod I enjoy fishing with.  I bought a GSX Titanium spinning reel that came with a free Gander Mtn Vortex rod a few weeks ago when their spring fishing sale started.  Sadly I have already returned both.  The spinning reel bail wouldn't close most of the time after only about 30 minutes of use and the reel seat screw was cut to short on the rod to even secure my new reel.  I was disapointed but decided to upgrade to a Shimano Symetre reel and got half off the new GS Elite spinning rod.  This rod is very similar looking to the 13 Fishing Omen rods but was $35 dollars less with this deal.  My buddy bought the Omen rod in a matching lenght and action and I will be comparing them if the ice ever gets off the lakes here in Michigan.  My biggest concern with the GS Elite is the grip on the spinning rod.  Its shaped pretty well to get your fingers closer to the blank but not sure it will be comfortable after lots of use.  The Omen grip seemed very comfortable and is tapered off at the top instead of boxed off like on the GS Elite.  Hopefully performance is the same, actually, hopefully the GS Elite has better performance since thats the one I bought!  The GS Elite is 40 ton Japanese Toray Carbon blanks vs the 30 ton in the Omen but that doesn't determine sensitivity alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users