zwhiten12

RIPPN' LIPS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Any lake is a good lake.

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:42 PM

I know the whole setup is important, but should you invest more in the rod or more in the reel? Thanks y'all!

#2 DarrenM

DarrenM

Kayak Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Virginia
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lee Hall Reservoir

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:46 PM

This has been hashed out a lot. I like a good reel with a good drag system, good gears. It'll last a long time.

Same could be said of a good rod. I give the nod to the reel. I think.

-Darren

#3 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationLauderhill, Fl
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Toho

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:49 PM

My median is $200 for a reel, $100 for a rod. With that being said, even the rods in the $50-75 are great.
Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#4 Dwight Hottle

Dwight Hottle

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationErie, PA
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:51 PM

Most guys go 2 /3 on the reel & 1/3 on the rod. On better combos I like to go 50/50. A good reel deserves a good rod.

CEO, VP, SECRETARY AND CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

#5 zwhiten12

zwhiten12

RIPPN' LIPS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:54 PM

My median is $200 for a reel, $100 for a rod. With that being said, even the rods in the $50-75 are great.

What sets those 150+ rods apart from the 50-75 dollar rods? Thanks!

#6 Teal

Teal

Fish, Pray, Love

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:57 PM

Darren is right, it is very debatable. But my opinion is to buy a quality reel and then buy the best rod that fits the remaining budget. I want a reel made with quality components that will last a long time with proper care. Reels have alot of moving parts and ive been on the losing end of trying to save money by spending less on reel to 'get me by'

#7 Teal

Teal

Fish, Pray, Love

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:00 PM

The weight of the rod, better blanks, better guides.

#8 zwhiten12

zwhiten12

RIPPN' LIPS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:18 PM

Darren is right, it is very debatable. But my opinion is to buy a quality reel and then buy the best rod that fits the remaining budget. I want a reel made with quality components that will last a long time with proper care. Reels have alot of moving parts and ive been on the losing end of trying to save money by spending less on reel to 'get me by'

That's exactly how I feel, i feel like I just need to spend the minimal amount to get by, but I don't want to regret it later...

#9 Southfork

Southfork

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'm the opposite of the majority here. 

I spend a lot more on rods than reels.  The way I look at it, I'm buying that rod for life, all my rods have lifetime warranties.

I've been spending more on reels lately, but I'm much more comfortable putting down a lot of cash on something with a little piece of mind.

I do have one exception tough, and that's my catfishing rods.  I spend way more on the reels than I do rods there.

#10 Rangerphil

Rangerphil

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationSwpa
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Lake or River:Smith Mt. Lake

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think it depends on what technique you are doing. A great rod will change your fishing forever!
I always catch a limit in practice!

#11 retiredbosn

retiredbosn

Fish tremble when they hear my name!! From laughter!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC
  • Favorite Lake or River:Greenbrier River, New River

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:38 PM

I agree with ranger, bottom contact presentations demand the best rod, reaction presentations demand more from the reel. My set-ups are evolving, my crankbait rod cost 59 the reel 200, bottom contact a 100 reel on a 150 rod.
PB's LM 8 lbs 14oz
SM 4.2lbs
"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is totally inadequate for the governance of any other" John Adams

#12 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:31 PM

Given a specific budget I would give more money towards the rod.

I have rods from $30Ugly Stiks, $50 BPS, $70 Clarus, $100 Premiers then mid $150 Smoke, Avid, LTB, then my highest-end rod a St Croix Elite will use any side by side on a given day.

A couple things that I find with the mid to higher is you get a better sense of what the lure is doing on the bottom. I form like a picture veiw in my mind due to the added sensitivity of a rod like a senko amongst the weeds or rocks. I can feel the wiggle of the senko as I twitch it, as it just tip overtop a rock or falls out of a weed I dont get this with my under $100 rods.

With moving baits you feel a difference in the crank even with the slightest bit of moss/weed gets in the hooks and changes the retrieve action of lure. If you are on top of or in the weeds the feel is better once again can sort of form a picture of the lure in those weeds.

The best benefit, that I dont see mentioned much, is the fight with better rods. I get much more feedback and enjoyment of what the fish is doing, where its heading or direction its going like if its coming up to jump, nose down headed for cover. I can feel it rolling(catfish) can feel bass its body wiggling flexing substantially more vearing left to right. Just the fish's power is transmitted at a higher degree making the fight all that much better.

This is my view on what a person gets out of better rods. I wouldnt say they are needed just something different that adds to the hobby of fishing.

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#13 jignfule

jignfule

Time flies, but memories live for ever more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:42 PM

I lean towards putting the $$$$$$ on the rod and I fish with Calais and Sustains

#14 zwhiten12

zwhiten12

RIPPN' LIPS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:50 PM

[quote name="QUAKEnSHAKE" post="1232990" timestamp="1360380674"]Given a specific budget...

I want to buy a nicer rod, but I just can't get the thought of somehow breaking the rod and being out that much money where as if I bought a cheaper rod it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

#15 DarrenM

DarrenM

Kayak Fishing

• Members
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Virginia
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lee Hall Reservoir

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:53 PM

Given a specific budget I would give more money towards the rod.

I have rods from $30Ugly Stiks, $50 BPS, $70 Clarus, $100 Premiers then mid $150 Smoke, Avid, LTB, then my highest-end rod a St Croix Elite will use any side by side on a given day.

A couple things that I find with the mid to higher is you get a better sense of what the lure is doing on the bottom. I form like a picture veiw in my mind due to the added sensitivity of a rod like a senko amongst the weeds or rocks. I can feel the wiggle of the senko as I twitch it, as it just tip overtop a rock or falls out of a weed I dont get this with my under $100 rods.

With moving baits you feel a difference in the crank even with the slightest bit of moss/weed gets in the hooks and changes the retrieve action of lure. If you are on top of or in the weeds the feel is better once again can sort of form a picture of the lure in those weeds.

The best benefit, that I dont see mentioned much, is the fight with better rods. I get much more feedback and enjoyment of what the fish is doing, where its heading or direction its going like if its coming up to jump, nose down headed for cover. I can feel it rolling(catfish) can feel bass its body wiggling flexing substantially more vearing left to right. Just the fish's power is transmitted at a higher degree making the fight all that much better.

This is my view on what a person gets out of better rods. I wouldnt say they are needed just something different that adds to the hobby of fishing.

I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from. That's a good breakdown. While I stated reel as my pref, I don't discount the importance of the rod. I also have Ugly Stiks to Compres and now a Premier. There's a pretty big difference in feel there which plays a big part in fishing vs catching.

-Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users