• 52 posts
  • Twitter:@dyldoeck
  • LocationWichita, Kansas
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Harbor Isle or
    Butler SFL

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:54 AM

What difference does it make if a rod is moderate fast or fast taper? I know that the rod bends farther down on a moderate fast taper, but that is it.

#2 K_Mac

K_Mac

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationSouthern Illinois
  • My PB:Please Choose

Posted February 10 2013 - 01:23 PM

When using a slower action rod, more of the rod is in play when under load as you know. This results in a couple of differences between a fast and moderate fast, with all other things being equal. The MF rod will be more forgiving in that more of the rod is being used to keep pressure on the fish. This is good thing when fishing baits with treble hooks that generally are easier to pull loose during the fight. It is also a good thing when working tight to cover where fish are fought up close and personal, again allowing a little more  work to be done by the rod, and putting less stress on everything else-including you. Conversely, a F action will bring the power of the rod into effect faster, allowing faster hook-sets. This can be desirable when fishing a bait with a single hook-like a jig or soft plastic. In this case you want to be able to get the power of the rod into play immediately to drive home the hook. Once hooked these baits are less vulnerable to be pulled out, so speed is the key.

The above is generally accurate IMO. What I have learned is there are great differences how rods are rated in both power and action, and how a rod performs is a very subjective thing. Tight lines.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

#3 tbone1993

tbone1993

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Table Rock Lake, Kentucky Lake

Posted February 10 2013 - 02:14 PM

http://www.allfishin...Rods-Action.htm   Look at that site for a good visual of the difference. If you need more info ask away. 

#4 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationLauderhill, Fl
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Toho

Posted February 10 2013 - 03:00 PM

Stiffness of tip. Mod is softer than Fast.
Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#5 Jrob78

Jrob78

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:09 PM

When using a slower action rod, more of the rod is in play when under load as you know. This results in a couple of differences between a fast and moderate fast, with all other things being equal. The MF rod will be more forgiving in that more of the rod is being used to keep pressure on the fish. This is good thing when fishing baits with treble hooks that generally are easier to pull loose during the fight. It is also a good thing when working tight to cover where fish are fought up close and personal, again allowing a little more  work to be done by the rod, and putting less stress on everything else-including you. Conversely, a F action will bring the power of the rod into effect faster, allowing faster hook-sets. This can be desirable when fishing a bait with a single hook-like a jig or soft plastic. In this case you want to be able to get the power of the rod into play immediately to drive home the hook. Once hooked these baits are less vulnerable to be pulled out, so speed is the key.

The above is generally accurate IMO. What I have learned is there are great differences how rods are rated in both power and action, and how a rod performs is a very subjective thing. Tight lines.

Very well said.

#6 jhoffman

jhoffman

Shake This

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts
  • LocationBellefonte, PA
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Juniata/Susquehanna, Raystown, Chautauqua

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:05 AM

Keep in mind, the slower the rod the more it protects light line. For example, if you decided to go to lets say 2lb breaking strength a very fast rod would snap that on the hooksset. The slow rod would be more forgiving and when the fish surge you could protect that line better. Having a very fast action rod with light line is a recipe for disaster. This can be seen with flyfishermans love for bamboo. The reason is, its a very slow rod when your protecting a 6x-8x tippet.

#7 Dylan.747

Dylan.747

Carpe Piscis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:@dyldoeck
  • LocationWichita, Kansas
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Harbor Isle or
    Butler SFL

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well I only have a moderate fast vendetta and was just wondering if it would be suitable for most types of fishing.

#8 Delaware Valley Tackle

Delaware Valley Tackle

I Love Bass Fishing!

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Facebook:100001517419739#!/pages/Milford-PA/Delaware-Valley
  • LocationFort Plain, NY
    Mohawk River Valley
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:53 PM

Stiffness of tip. Mod is softer than Fast.

Not necessarily. For Example a Steez rod has a very fast action yet very soft tip. A Mod-Fast Flipping stick is slower yet still quite stiff.
10% Disc. on Reel Repair/Service & Custom Rods for BassResource.com members! www.delawarevalleytackle.com

#9 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
  • My PB:Over 15 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior
    Conroe, TX
    Guntersville, AL

Posted February 11 2013 - 11:56 PM

Taper doesn't have much to do with stiffness in any portion of the blank. It affects recovery, power, speed, and lifting strength. Stiffness of any portion of the blank can be related to taper, but is not a direct result of.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users