Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thehooligan

Another Budget Baitcaster Thread...

32 posts in this topic

Sweet. Get a set of Abec 5 bearings and a Hawg Handle, that thing will kill.

Yea, when I can free up some money that will definitely happen...

There is ZERO reason to upgrade the bearings in a new Curado.  Flush them with Acetone, and add a drop of Bantam Oil that came with the reel.  Otherwize, it's waste of money.  You don't get any valuable return your investment. 

If you want to do something worthwhile to your reel, get a Carbontex drag from Smooth Drags for about $10.  That's an improvement that is worth it's weight in gold.

1 person likes this

There is ZERO reason to upgrade the bearings in a new Curado.  Flush them with Acetone, and add a drop of Bantam Oil that came with the reel.  Otherwize, it's waste of money.  You don't get any valuable return your investment. 

If you want to do something worthwhile to your reel, get a Carbontex drag from Smooth Drags for about $10.  That's an improvement that is worth it's weight in gold.

solid advice, this would be what I would do to my customers reels, unless the bearings have been contaminated with salt water or are bad for some other reason, But Shimano bearings will run as good as any ABEC5 bearing if they are lubed the same. The carbontex drag is hands down an improvement, on any reel that doesn't use them.   

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill take a look at the bearings when the reel comes in thursday.

Reel came in today, its super clean. I spooled it up with some 8lb flouroclear and threw it on an old 6'6 medium berkley lightening i got at a flea market for $15 bucks.

Im super impressed with this reel, especially with the 1/4oz weight range. First thing i did was pop the cover to check the brakes. Had 4 in, 2 out. I started with 1/2 oz lures, was throwing them great. Stepped down to 3/8, still great. Then i started throwing 1/4 oz lipless cranks and it was a real sweet spot. Im super impressed how well this throws light baits. I even put on an 1/8oz yozuri jerkbait and was shocked that i could cast it, lol.

I think i got some spinning gear going up for sale to fund a hawgtech handle and a better rod, seriusly considering the 6'10 medium elite tech smallmouth rod.

Will i get more distance with some 15-20lb braid or should i stick with the 8-10lb mono ?

Reel came in today, its super clean. I spooled it up with some 8lb flouroclear and threw it on an old 6'6 medium berkley lightening i got at a flea market for $15 bucks.

Im super impressed with this reel, especially with the 1/4oz weight range. First thing i did was pop the cover to check the brakes. Had 4 in, 2 out. I started with 1/2 oz lures, was throwing them great. Stepped down to 3/8, still great. Then i started throwing 1/4 oz lipless cranks and it was a real sweet spot. Im super impressed how well this throws light baits. I even put on an 1/8oz yozuri jerkbait and was shocked that i could cast it, lol.

I think i got some spinning gear going up for sale to fund a hawgtech handle and a better rod, seriusly considering the 6'10 medium elite tech smallmouth rod.

Will i get more distance with some 15-20lb braid or should i stick with the 8-10lb mono ?

Awesome. You may get more distance with braid. My Lexa is spooled with 20 lb yellow PP and I get a pretty far cast on it. More confident with it than mono, either way.

1 person likes this