#16 moguy1973

moguy1973

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Any Ozark stream is great!

Posted February 25 2013 - 11:12 PM

Try canned corn or bread ball on a hook. I have caught grass carp on it with success. I assume that they would work with Asian carp too.

00 Mod, that is a monster carp that you got there...did you snag it?

Unfortunately a grass carp and common carp are completely different fish from asian carp.  Like everyone else said they are plankton eaters and just swim around eating all the nutrients out of the water and is how they completely decimate any body of water they are found in.  Plus they reproduce very quickly which multiplies the problem. 

#17 jakebwallace

jakebwallace

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Cumberland River

Posted February 26 2013 - 07:18 PM

Unfortunately a grass carp and common carp are completely different fish from asian carp.  Like everyone else said they are plankton eaters and just swim around eating all the nutrients out of the water and is how they completely decimate any body of water they are found in.  Plus they reproduce very quickly which multiplies the problem. 

That is not what I wanted to hear. There has to be a way.

#18 jakebwallace

jakebwallace

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted February 26 2013 - 07:36 PM

Contacted our friends over in England; here is what they sent:

photo.jpg

#19 xxjoker122

xxjoker122

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Locationnew jersey
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:pompton river, , monksvile,passic river, greenwood lake, pompton lake, Atlantic ocean,lake Okeechobee, falcon lake, lake hopackong, bud lake, pines lake, Erskine lake, lake Erie

Posted March 12 2013 - 06:19 PM

Does anyone have any advice on how to target these fish with a rod and reel? I have researched until my eyes bled without finding anything of substance. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Buy wonder bread  ONLY!, then buy a cinnamon spice jar. ADD moisture to the bread, then roll into a ball making sure to pack it hard,after this put the ball into the cinnamon jar and swoosh it around. It will cast a mile, never fall off your hook, and will slowly release spice into the water.That is my bait of choice

#20 Brian Needham

Brian Needham

come take my picture!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationMarion, AR (10min from memphis, Tn)
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Bear Creek, AR/Pickwick/TNriver

Posted March 12 2013 - 08:04 PM

you CAN NOT, repeat , CAN NOT catch the Asian/jumping/flying/silver carp with baits,lures,doughballs, or anything else as a food product.

its not going to happen.

the brits fish for german carp, isreali carp, and sometimes grass carp........none of which are feeders like the Asian/jumping/silver carp.

you can thank a catfish farmer in Mississippi for this wonderful species.

2014 Tackle the Storm Donation Total as of 4/06/14= $65.50

Boat Driver/Gear Talker for The Jeffro and Needham Show

#21 RyneB

RyneB

ABU FOR LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Shelbyville, Vermillion River, Illinois River,lake kinkaid,lake barkley, anywhere theres bass.

Posted March 12 2013 - 08:19 PM

theres a stretch of illinois river within 5 min of my house and have been dealing with these carp for many many years. I have snagged well over 150 fish. Using big weighted trebles and by snagging them by accident with redeyes and other treble hooked baits. Only once have i ever had one bite my bait and i land it. I was using a 1/4 oz orange jig head with a white mister twister grub. They are an amazing fight no matter which way you snag them. When you hook into one, there initial run is amazing. Drag stripping like you wouldnt believe. When we are bored during the heat of the summer well take out my Tracker (dont want to get the ranger full of stink and blood) and snag several fish. Theyre fun, but they have all but descimated the white bass population.

boat.jpg

#22 Tuckahoe Joe

Tuckahoe Joe

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • Facebook:Joe Wieczorkowski
  • LocationDundalk, MD
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Pinehurst, Unicorn Lake, Smithville Lake, Tuckahoe Lake, Loch Raven Reservoir

Posted March 12 2013 - 11:46 PM

This is how you deal with asian carp.

#23 RyneB

RyneB

ABU FOR LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Shelbyville, Vermillion River, Illinois River,lake kinkaid,lake barkley, anywhere theres bass.

Posted March 15 2013 - 10:40 AM

our county has actually been in talks with opening up a few days a year and have legal firearm owners go out and shoot them with shotguns. During summer months theyre pretty easy to sneak up on. You will be trolling an theyre all around you. They travel in massives schools (hundreds/thousands). So you could easily just shoot some bird shot into the school and kill several. Seems dangerous, but theres guys out there now trying to shoot them out of the air with arrows. It is actually funny, some of the things you see. Pry the most comical was 4 foreign men in a 10 foot jon boat, all with HUGE musky nets. They would just drive the shore line with there 9.9 and waiting for the carp to jump. They came by us and asked us to keep them some if he caught any. We ended up giving them 3 asian carp. I have heard of guys selling them to bucket fisherman for $5 a piece. I have eaten them before, and they are really good eating.

boat.jpg

#24 Brian Needham

Brian Needham

come take my picture!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 05:34 PM

seems easy fix.........shock  them, then feed the homeless....

Edited by J Francho, March 19 2013 - 02:28 PM.
Profanity and political comments removed

#25 RyneB

RyneB

ABU FOR LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Locationillinois

Posted March 18 2013 - 05:18 PM

i would be up for killing every living thing in the river and then restocking. The stretch of river by me is called "the sauger capitol of the world." Host plenty of tourneys (cabelas tourney is there next weekend). So i understand that killing all ther walleye and sauger is not an option. But its gotten out of hand. We used to catch 100+  white bass in a few hours. I have caught 3 in the past 4 years. Thats sad IMHO. Starved Rock state park is 10 miles from me. Well hike to the top of the rock and as far as the eyes can see, you can see the pods of asian carp. Its reall crazy when you see a barge docking and revving his engines, the whole area becomes full of jumping carp.

boat.jpg

#26 jakebwallace

jakebwallace

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted March 19 2013 - 01:58 PM

i would be up for killing every living thing in the river and then restocking. The stretch of river by me is called "the sauger capitol of the world." Host plenty of tourneys (cabelas tourney is there next weekend). So i understand that killing all ther walleye and sauger is not an option. But its gotten out of hand. We used to catch 100+  white bass in a few hours. I have caught 3 in the past 4 years. Thats sad IMHO. Starved Rock state park is 10 miles from me. Well hike to the top of the rock and as far as the eyes can see, you can see the pods of asian carp. Its reall crazy when you see a barge docking and revving his engines, the whole area becomes full of jumping carp.

Luckily the Cumberland in Nashville has not gotten to overpopulated yet. I have gone to the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers and the amount of Silvers held in those waters is overwhelming. 

#27 xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSylmar, CA
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Castaic is tough but close.

Posted March 28 2013 - 05:17 PM

Typical response of F&G - nada.  For all their posturing about caring for the resource . . . . they have no real motivation to act effectively.

If they had real incentives then they would allow commercial overfishing for this species or electroshocking/culling to keep the numbers down to levels where other species are sustainable.

Whether these quick "off the cuff" suggestions are feasible or not, if a private party, individual or corporate, owned the fishery, then something effective would be done.  When no one owns it, no one cares enough.

#28 jakebwallace

jakebwallace

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted March 28 2013 - 06:10 PM

Typical response of F&G - nada.  For all their posturing about caring for the resource . . . . they have no real motivation to act effectively.

If they had real incentives then they would allow commercial overfishing for this species or electroshocking/culling to keep the numbers down to levels where other species are sustainable.

Whether these quick "off the cuff" suggestions are feasible or not, if a private party, individual or corporate, owned the fishery, then something effective would be done.  When no one owns it, no one cares enough.

They have no motivation because they work for the government. Let the private sector find the solution and everyone is happy, except the government.

#29 Brian Needham

Brian Needham

come take my picture!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 06:29 PM

Luckily the Cumberland in Nashville has not gotten to overpopulated yet.

if they are in the water they are over populated, you just don't know it yet.

they are truly worse than locust.....they breed, destroy, and move on.

#30 xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSylmar, CA
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Castaic is tough but close.

Posted March 28 2013 - 06:50 PM

They have no motivation because they work for the government. Let the private sector find the solution and everyone is happy, except the government.

Yes, but so long as no one owns it, the private sector is irrelevant. 

Only when a property right is created can the private sector find the solution.

My point is that the absence of ownership is the problem.

These are public waters, regulated by public officials whose incentives are not sufficiently coincident with the fishery. 

If someone owned the fishery, then that owner would be more effective in dealing with an invasive species that is destroying his asset.  There would be more coincidence of what's good for the fishery and what's good for management.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carp, asian, asian carp, fish, how to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users