10 replies to this topic

#1 AFoster

AFoster

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have watched the video on here on how to fish a suspending jerkbait. I'm curious if you fish a floating jerkbait the same way?

And the video makes the presentation seem extremely slow, do you speed that up as the water gets warmer, or is it supposed to be that slow all the time?

I believe I have heard jerkbaits are good for spawning walleye as well, is this true? fished the same way? suspending or floating or both?

#2 gripnrip

gripnrip

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/darin.davis.12
  • LocationNorth East Oklahoma
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Tenkiller and Grand Lake (home of the 2013 Classic!)

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:01 PM

Suspending jerk baits are used more for when the water is colder.  When you pause the bait it just hovers at the depth it is cranked to.  So when you stop reeling and jerking the bait does not rise to the top.  It mimics what a bait fish does when it dies.

A floater is used in warmer water.  You reel and jerk quickly.  If you stop the bait it will rise quickly. It mimics a fleeing bait fish. Just find a cadence while working each bait.  Let the fish tell you what they want. 

God grant that I may fish until my diying day;
And when at last I come to rest, I'll then most humbly pray;
When in His landing net I lie in final sleep;
That in His mercy I'll be judged as good enough to keep! -Homer Circle

#3 paul25

paul25

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Locationeastern ky
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:dewey lake cave run lake ky and cherokee lake TN

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:03 PM

when im fishing a suspended jerkbait i work the bait pretty fast in warmer water, the colder the water the longer the pauses for me at least 5-10 seconds. This is for bass anyway i've never fished for walleye

#4 AFoster

AFoster

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:14 PM

I may be wrong but i thought i gathered from the video that suspending jerkbait fishing basically turns off after the water warms up to about 45 if i remember right. I don't see why you couldnt use it faster when the water is warmer? maybe I'm remembering the video incorrectly though.  

#5 tbone1993

tbone1993

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Table Rock Lake, Kentucky Lake

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:24 PM

You can customize a jerkbait by putting on bigger/ heavier hooks or even adding split rings. The increased weight can make a floating bait suspend a little.  Its something you have to fine tune.

#6 flukemaster

flukemaster

I'm Dink-Dropping 5 pounders.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,304 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/gene.jensen
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/flukemastr
  • LocationEvans, Ga
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Richmond Mill Lake, NC

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:37 PM

I may be wrong but i thought i gathered from the video that suspending jerkbait fishing basically turns off after the water warms up to about 45 if i remember right. I don't see why you couldnt use it faster when the water is warmer? maybe I'm remembering the video incorrectly though.  

Go back and watch it again. 

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#7 lmoore

lmoore

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Lake or River:Mississippi River Pools 6-12

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:15 PM

A jerkbait is somewhat unique in that it can catch fish basically anytime you don't have ice over the water. Definitely don't put them away after 45, I've caught some of my best smallies in mid summer on a jerkbait.
Kistler Rods Pro-Staff
www.kistlerrods.com

#8 Goose21

Goose21

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationOzarks
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:37 PM

Bass eat year around. Jerkbaits look like food to a bass, they will eat them year around.

A suspending jerkbait is unique in that you can retrieve the bait to a desired depth, pause the retrieve, and leave the bait at that depth in the strike zone.

I may not be hungry but if you leave a banana split in front of me long enough I'll probably eat it.

#9 kanasbassfisher08

kanasbassfisher08

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Locationshawnee mission kansas
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:stockton MO
    ozarks MO
    bone creek KS
    melvern KS

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:47 PM

well i fished during the classic and it was a jerkbait bite all weekend and ive never liked the floaters just because the suspending bait is so much better and more effective and i use it all the way to 55 to 60 degrees and like it was mentioned up top smallies love it long after. i keep suspending dots i put on bait just to make them suspend. a bait should stay put or sink very slow and u can make a bait do this by changing hooks but then heavy hooks may make it sink to fast thats why i use the dots alot easier. all it is is a sticker with a thin layer of lead it makes it easy to tune a jerkbait aka stick bait. hope that helps

#10 AFoster

AFoster

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to watch the video again. Cant wait for some bearable weather so i can get out there and try them. 

Last time i tried to go out, it was so cold my fuel line snapped when i went to prime the bulb. Combination of a 2 year old fuel line, and single digits all night did the fuel line in. 

#11 flukemaster

flukemaster

I'm Dink-Dropping 5 pounders.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,304 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/gene.jensen
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/flukemastr
  • LocationEvans, Ga
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Richmond Mill Lake, NC

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:53 PM

Water temperature usually dictates how fast you work the jerkbait. As the water passes 53 degrees you will notice that the bass's energy level increases and they move shallow and get ready to spawn. From this point on I am jerking a lot faster. I could use floaters at this point and probably will when I'm fishing less than three feet of water but most of the time I like mine to suspend. I will use a jerkbait all year long if I feel the bass are in a chasing mood and don't want a crankbait or spinnerbait. 

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users