dday07

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationsocal.
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Any quarry i can find in Socal and Coosa River,AL.

Posted March 06 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just getting into rock quarry fishing...what are your fav. lures for this kind of fishing? Btw This is a deep quarry.

#2 papajoe222

papajoe222

Eat. Sleep, Fish.......Repeat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationJust southwest of Chi Town
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Delavan in southern Wisconsin

Posted March 06 2013 - 08:39 PM

My favorites are small,natural colored baits. Zara Spooks for top-water, RocketShads for small profile spinnerbaits, suspending FatFree Shad and Fingerlings for cranks and french fry worms suspended under a slip bobber with the weight below similar to a drop shot.  The difficulty with fishing quarries and deep clear strip pits is the lack of cover. The fish tend to use the available structure in their movements and if they're moving, they're very catchable.  The problem lies in the fact that they don't move around frequently, but will suspend just off any structural breaks such as ledges or rock piles rather than close to or on the breaks.  They could be thirty feet off a ledge, but suspended at the same depth as the break, if the water is clear and light penetration is good.

Oh yea, If you can, avoid noisy baits. If you swim a jig, go rattleless. This is one situation where making long casts and keeping a low profile will up your chances a little. 

Take a kid fishing, it'll keep you feeling young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users