I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRamer, TN
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted March 13 2013 - 08:41 PM

I was looking at the upcoming BFL rules and regs out of JP Coleman this weekend and noticed that the size limits are different.  It specified 15" on Smallmouth AND Largemouth and 12" spots.  So I started researching all three of the reciprocal states size limits and have found limited and conflicting information.  When looking at Alabama's regulations one section says 14" smallmouth and then another section says 15" smallmouth after September ? 2012.  I never did find the Alabama limit for largemouth and spots, so I looked forward to an FLW tournament in April out of McFarland and saw that it stated 15" on ALL fish.  I then went on to Mississippi and found little to nothing besides the BFL regulations.  I looked at Tennessee's regs and found that the Smallmouth and Largemouth remained 18" and 15" respectively, but noticed that it said there was no longer a size regulation on spots.  However, I found where there was a proposal to change the TN part of Pickwick to 15" on Smallmouth.  So to spare further confusion I thought I would check with the guys on here and see if anyone has concrete evidence or proof of the new regulations for the three sections of Pickwick.  Thanks for the help guys.

#2 brianwhite

brianwhite

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationpontotoc, ms
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:pickwick

Posted March 13 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think they're all goin to 15" across the board. Last year tn was off limits due to the size limit diff. Now it's all open

#3 jiggin_it

jiggin_it

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRamer, TN

Posted March 13 2013 - 09:52 PM

well i know the 15" change was proposed in tennessee waters but i have seen two different 2013-2014 regulations.  When I bring it up on my phone it says 18" smallies but when I bring the same page up on my computer it says 15" smallies????  i think you are right, but they need to give people something solid to go on.  its already a confusing lake to fish anyways with the reciprocal agreements pertaining to the license and such, so why create more confusion. 

#4 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,051 posts
  • LocationGermantown, TN
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick Lake
    Tennessee River

Posted March 14 2013 - 08:03 AM

The smallmouth size limit was reduced to 15" to conform with the adjacent state regulations.

All of Pickwick is now at a 15" minimum. However, this does NOT apply to anyone fishing with

me or my friends. In our boats the minimum size for keeping a smalljaw is 12lbs 1oz.

:eyebrows:

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 jiggin_it

jiggin_it

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRamer, TN

Posted March 14 2013 - 10:20 AM

ok that clears up the confusion on sm and lm but what about spots.  the tn regulations clearly states no size limit, and a lot of people may say "well why would wanna keep a spot under 12" and most days that is true, but i have fished several tournaments that were just terrible days for everyone, days where 4 fish will put you in the money and that 9 inch 9 ounce spot would push you over the top.  sounds funny but its true and thats y i was wondering.

#6 TN basstracker

TN basstracker

Rage-a-holic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN & Savannah, TN
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick and Kentucky Lakes

Posted March 14 2013 - 12:52 PM

TN has always been 15 inch LM on Pickwick, but changed from 18 inch SM to 15 inch SM, effective March 1st, 2013 when new licenses went on sale.

http://www.eregulati...13-regulations/

MS goes to 15 inch across the board, effective March 21st, 2013, according to MDWFP website.

http://www.mdwfp.com...ze___limits.pdf

Memphis, TN & Savannah, TN
(Pickwick Lake)

#7 tnriverluver

tnriverluver

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn
  • My PB:Between 11-12 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted March 17 2013 - 09:46 PM

TN has always been 15 inch LM on Pickwick, but changed from 18 inch SM to 15 inch SM, effective March 1st, 2013 when new licenses went on sale.

http://www.eregulati...13-regulations/

MS goes to 15 inch across the board, effective March 21st, 2013, according to MDWFP website.

http://www.mdwfp.com...ze___limits.pdf

Young whipper snappers.  It has only been about 10-12 years or so that they were all 12 inch limits LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users