• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationEnglewood Fl.
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Josephine Creek

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:13 PM

I was looking at the fatboy and thin N as an alternative to the KVD cranks, they never seem to be the weight they are advertized as. Cant get Normans close to home to see them up close. How are their build quality and hooks? Any recommendations for colors?

#2 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,294 posts
  • LocationGermantown, TN
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick Lake
    Tennessee River

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:52 PM

My #1 crankbait is the Norman Fat Boy, Redear

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 mc6524

mc6524

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake of the Ozarks
    Tablerock Lake

Posted April 10 2013 - 07:51 PM

The fat boy is a great bait. Shallow wide wobblr

#4 AGOSS

AGOSS

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Twitter:@_DoubleDuece_
  • Favorite Lake or River:MDC Busch wildlife

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:45 PM

i compare it to a kvd 2.5 because how "FAT" it is, it also has a great wide wobble action. I have it is nutter shad and im probly going to get it in a blue gill color sometime! its a good bait!

#5 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • My PB:Over 15 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Casitas, Castaic,

Posted April 10 2013 - 11:51 PM

The Bait Monkey loves crankbaits, nothing is more of a fad lure!
Norman DD series (deep diving) ruled the field for a decade before the flat sides became the latest and greatest.
Remember this simple fact; bass can't read!
The only reason the DD series isn't still catching bass is they are in the tackle box and not on the end of your line. DD-14 and DD-22 belong as a standard crankbait for every bass angler who usies deep divers. Well made and run good out of the box, good quality hooks. The basic colors; white/green fleck, fire tiger and red/black work everywhere.
Tom

#6 flippin and pitchin

flippin and pitchin

Kicker

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted April 11 2013 - 05:12 AM

I hate the word best, but Norman crankbaits are the best value in a crankbait as far as I am concerned. Their color pallet is exceptional, stock hooks are very good, they run true out of the box  and the finishes hold up for ever.  I have Deep Little N's over 20 years old that I still use today.

The Fat Boy is one of the most bouyant plastic baits out there and rivals balsa. Log Perch, Firetiger and Western Firetiger are few good choices for stained water.

#7 0119

King of the Island of Misfit Toys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationEnglewood Fl.
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Josephine Creek

Posted April 11 2013 - 05:35 AM

Great info guy, thanks. The only thing I had found was 10 years old from tackle tour and they said that they had to be continuously tuned.

#8 MCS

MCS

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts
  • LocationNoFla
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Frederick, Va; the pond behind Publix

Posted April 11 2013 - 07:51 AM

The Bait Monkey loves crankbaits, nothing is more of a fad lure!
Norman DD series (deep diving) ruled the field for a decade before the flat sides became the latest and greatest.
Remember this simple fact; bass can't read!
The only reason the DD series isn't still catching bass is they are in the tackle box and not on the end of your line. DD-14 and DD-22 belong as a standard crankbait for every bass angler who usies deep divers. Well made and run good out of the box, good quality hooks. The basic colors; white/green fleck, fire tiger and red/black work everywhere.
Tom

I see the stores like Dicks still carry the DD series. The ones I am curious about and have yet to find in a retailor are the top dollar and flat broke.  I hear they run very well out of the box and I agree the colors they have are sure like nothing out there. Jelly bean, Red eye, Bull Bream all catch my eye. If you could offer any info up on those models I would appreciate it.

MCS

_________________________________________________________________________________

A fool returns to his folly as a dog returns to his vomit.

#9 BassinB

BassinB

CB&TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWI
  • Favorite Lake or River:King Chain

Posted April 11 2013 - 08:42 AM

I see the stores like Dicks still carry the DD series. The ones I am curious about and have yet to find in a retailor are the top dollar and flat broke.  I hear they run very well out of the box and I agree the colors they have are sure like nothing out there. Jelly bean, Red eye, Bull Bream all catch my eye. If you could offer any info up on those models I would appreciate it.

I have a Flat Broke and I really don't like it to be honest.  First Norman bait I haven't been sold on. The DD22 is a staple summer pattern bait for me.  I choose it over the 6 series Strike King 9/10 times.

#10 BradH

BradH

Tiller Boat Fishin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationColumbus, NE
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Missouri River

Posted April 11 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have a Flat Broke and I really don't like it to be honest.  First Norman bait I haven't been sold on. The DD22 is a staple summer pattern bait for me.  I choose it over the 6 series Strike King 9/10 times.

I picked up a couple flat brokes and I feel the exact same way.  I've caught a few fish on them but I'd tie on a fatboy, kvd 1.5 or #5 crankin' rap before I'd mess with a flat broke again.  They don't cast as well and like to end up coming in sideways no matter how much I tune them.

The rest of the Normans are top notch.  They are made is USA, good hardware, fantastic colors, priced right and flat out catch fish.

The Fatboy outfishes my other squarebills in the heat of the summer.  When it's cooler I like the KVD 1.5 or rapala Crankin' Rap #5 a little better.  The new DD22HD is great.  I've still got a pile of the regualr DD22s that I'll keep using.  The DLN is another fantastic bait.

#11 papajoe222

papajoe222

Eat. Sleep, Fish.......Repeat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationJust southwest of Chi Town
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Delavan in southern Wisconsin

Posted April 11 2013 - 05:16 PM

Their deep little N is a must have in these parts and a DD22 is my #1 deep crank

Take a kid fishing, it'll keep you feeling young.

#12 iceintheveins

iceintheveins

Selective Harvest On Bass, Or Pay The Price

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
  • Favorite Lake or River:The Yampa River, Colorado's best smallmouth fishery. Lots of 2 - 4 pound, obese bronze bombers in this river. Connected Lakes is my favorite lake, just a group of small gravel pits, no bigger than 100 acres. No monsters, but lots of 2 - 5 pound largemouths and the odd 6 - 7.

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:57 PM

Norman cranks rock. Period. All of them I've ever had ran true and were durable.

Better Bass Fishing Is My Mission

#13 TNBassin'

TNBassin'

Crankin' it DEEEEEP

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/jason.kraklau?ref=tn_tnmn
  • LocationDandridge, Tennessee
  • Favorite Lake or River:Douglas Lake, Dale Hollow

Posted April 12 2013 - 12:22 AM

I hate the word best, but Norman crankbaits are the best value in a crankbait as far as I am concerned. Their color pallet is exceptional, stock hooks are very good, they run true out of the box  and the finishes hold up for ever.  I have Deep Little N's over 20 years old that I still use today.

The Fat Boy is one of the most bouyant plastic baits out there and rivals balsa. Log Perch, Firetiger and Western Firetiger are few good choices for stained water.

This. They are quality at a bargain price. The only issue I've had with them, is that Normans are the only cranks that I consistently have to tune right out of the package. The Deep Little Ns especially. I have a bunch of the new NXS Normans, and those suckers are sweet and run true right out of the package.

#14 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,966 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:All in Virginia

Posted April 12 2013 - 04:25 AM

The Little N is excellent.

Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users