bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Best Tube hook?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fishohio

Fishohio

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'm an avid tube fisher. I'm usin the XPS magnum widegap in 2/0 and 3/0 to throw 3.5 and 4" tubes (BPS).

Sunday i took my boys to the pond to play around and caught alot of LMB's 2-4pnds, but I missed quite a few on the hookset, ounce I hooked em I didn't loose um but in a tournament I would of been pulling my hair out! >;)

Was just wondering what hooks you all use for tubes. I usually T-Rig them as I fish mostly laydowns,brush and pretty thick cover.Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks.

You don't have to be crazy to love bass fishing, but it helps!!!

#2 Marty

Marty

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:58 PM

You can't necessarily assume the brand of hook was responsible for the problems. I don't know why any good sharp hook of the right size shouldn't be capable of solid hooksets.

As to size, it may just be my personal preference, but I wouldn't be comfortable with those sizes. At a minimum, I use wide-gap 3/0 and 4/0 on 3.5" and 4" tubes, respectively.

Assuming your hooks are sharp, I think upsizing would get you better results than another brand.
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in 14 days I lost two weeks---Joe E. Lewis

#3 ToledoEF

ToledoEF

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:08 PM

I like using Gamakatsu G Lock Hooks in 3/0 for texas rigging!

#4 Fishohio

Fishohio

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thanks fellas, I think i'm going to try the 4/0. Didn't know if anyone might be havin the same problem with XPS hooks. There deceint especially for the price! Seem plenty sharp. I did pick up a small bag of gammys g-lock today just to see if there's any difference.

You don't have to be crazy to love bass fishing, but it helps!!!

#5 IDbasser

IDbasser

Smallie hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 10:21 PM

I like the Gamakatsu skip gap hooks.
Smallmouth fishing with my two boys.  Fishing the Snake River and its Reservoirs.

#6 riverat

riverat

Work is for people that don't know how to fish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 09:04 AM

I have been using the Mustad Big Mouth Tube Hook for tubes for the past 3-4 years and have no complaints. I use the 3/0 for 4" tubes and the 4/0 for 4 1/2" and 5" tubes.