Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoulder CO
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:38 PM

Just recently moved right outside of Denver from Va and am looking for some good spots for bass fishing. I also have a kayak that I'm trying to take out, if anyone has any good info that would be much appreciated.

#2 tritondriver

tritondriver

tritondriver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Locationmanteca, ca
  • My PB:Between 12-13 lbs

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:32 AM

i watched a video a few years ago of a pro that was from CO, dont remember his name, but in that video he basically said there was only one lake for bass fishing and i believe it may be south of the springs..

#3 iceintheveins

iceintheveins

Selective Harvest On Bass, Or Pay The Price

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:The Yampa River, Colorado's best smallmouth fishery. Lots of 2 - 4 pound, obese bronze bombers in this river. Connected Lakes is my favorite lake, just a group of small gravel pits, no bigger than 100 acres. No monsters, but lots of 2 - 5 pound largemouths and the odd 6 - 7.

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:53 PM

The better bass fishing is on the Western Slope. Chatfield and Bear Creek have large numbers of smallies but a two pounder is a good one. Aurora doesn't have the numbers but it does have bigger fish up to 5.5 pounds or so. Many small ponds around Denver do have some nicer largemouth. It's just a matter of finding the right ones.

Better Bass Fishing Is My Mission

#4 BuckMaxx

BuckMaxx

Rippin Lips...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Twitter:@Buckmaxxmineral
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs

Posted May 04 2013 - 06:57 AM

Welcome to our state. When I moved out here in 2002. If someone would have told me the bass fishing was as good as it is. I would have told em they are crazy. I grew up in Southern Mo on the Table Rock and Bull Shoals.How could you get any better then that??

Our bass fishing can be second to none. Biggest bass I have caught was 9 lb 2 oz. which was out of a small private lake. The biggest difference is most of our impoundments are irragation, so there is constant water moving in and out. This brings new oxygen into them constantly. With more oxygen the fish are more active and feel better. This also means they eat ALOT. Most of the big water Pueblo Aurora etc you shouuld probably have a boat. But there is plenty of small water around if you just do some research.

I would recommend you look into the Denver bass club but there are others. If you are not interested in tournament fishing it would be a great way to meet people.The Division of parks and Wildlife will also be extrememly helpful. THey will almost do everything but hook em for you.

Good luck!!
Super Sexy '92 Ranger DC 482v, 150 Merc, Hyd Jack, Hotfoot, Pure Bad...

ALL THE GIRLS WANNA RIDE.... ~Jawga Boys~

#5 Bass_Akwards

Bass_Akwards

Good things come to those who bait!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationBoulder Colorado

Posted July 04 2013 - 11:03 AM

Just recently moved right outside of Denver from Va and am looking for some good spots for bass fishing. I also have a kayak that I'm trying to take out, if anyone has any good info that would be much appreciated.

Use google earth man.  There's tons of great ponds around denver and the suburbs.  A good stick can catch some nice fish in many of them  I'm consistently catching 17 18 and 19 inch fish in places many anglers tell me they only catch 15 and 16 inch max. I was fishing a group of ponds on Monday night and as usual, asked everyone I saw in the parking lot after "how'd you do?"  I guess people could be lying but one guy said he didnt catch anything one guy said he caught three bass but nothing over 15 inches a couple guys had "more than 5 bass" but nothing over 15 inches.  This is insanely typical.  I ask anglers d**n near every time I go out "How'd you do tonight?"  "Anything over 15 inches?"  "Anything over 2 1/2 pounds?" (I never ask what they use as I hate when people ask me that) If I ask 100 fishermen at my local ponds these questions 89 of them will give me these same answers.  Meanwhile I'm catching 18 inch, 3 pound fattys and 16 inch fighters, and 20 inch whales!!!   I watch guys fish all the time.  we're shore fishermen so it's easy to do.  I watch how and where they cast.  Where they chose to stand when casting. The choices of bait their using etc and I just laugh.

7 out of 10 anglers at the local pond get how to "fish".  They get what a soft plastic is and get what cranks and jerks are, they all have their favorite lures and baits from childhood, but when you watch them fish, it's easy to see why they never catch the bigger bass in the lake or pond.  I'm not saying any more than that.  The point I'm trying to make is, don't ask people where the "good fishing" is.  Most people have no clue, and will tell you there's not any giant bass in a place where there IS giant bass but they just don't know it, and won't know it until they see me pull in two 4 pounders. :-)  

The guys who know where to land the piggies aren't just going to tell you where they do it either.  It takes a lot of research and a lot of casts to find those lakes and ponds that hold nice bass and then even more casts and time and money and energy to find the honey holes and special, tender little nooks and crannies on those bodies of water.  Get out there and put in the work and you'll find some killer bass hopefully.  PM me and I'll give you a nice body of water to fish for starters.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.  ~Paul Schullery

#6 Namsu11

Namsu11

Fry

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted July 19 2013 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to our great state! I agree fully with BuckMaxx! When I first moved to CO from MI, I was under the impression that this was a "trout only" state. Was I ever wrong! Like others have mentioned, you will have to put in a lot of time and effort to locate good water and nice bass, but there are plenty of places! I have caught 2 largemouth that weighed 5 lbs. in the past 2 years and countless smallmouth and largemouth in the 3 lb. range. If you live near Denver, might I point you towards Aurora Reservoir and Quincy Reservoir close to Highway 225. The state record smallie was pulled out of Aurora Reservoir a couple years ago, and Quincy Reservoir is considered a trophy bass water. If you haven't yet done so, get yourself over to FishExplorer.com and register. Spend some time reading and checking out the website. It is how I got started out here in CO! Feel free to message me here on bassresource and I would be happy to talk bass fishing! Best of luck sir.

#7 Revival

Revival

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted July 20 2013 - 07:04 PM

When i lived in Colorado, everyone was fishing at the Pueblo Reservoir for Wipers.  I used to bass fish at night at Valco ponds which was right before the reservoir.  There were 2 ponds open at the time but i heard that they have opened more.  The night fishing was awesome.

#8 CoBass

CoBass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted July 22 2013 - 03:25 AM

Welcome to Colorado. Like the others have said, if you're looking for largemouth skip the bigger lakes/reservoirs and focus on small ponds. If you're target species is smallies, chatfield, bear creek, and horsetooth all have large populations of smaller fish that are pretty easy to catch. If you want a chance at a state record smallie, Aurora is the place to go. The last two state record smallies came from Aurora and I've seen pics of bigger ones caught that weren't turned in for the record. It's a tough place to figure out but there's some huge smallies in there. Aurora also has a very healthy walleye population and even though they aren't there in numbers, the last two state record channel cats were also caught there.

#9 wlewis55

wlewis55

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoulder CO

Posted August 06 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it def took a lot of searching to find some decent spots. for everyone who thinks there aren't big bass in CO is just a fool. Ive caught multiple 3 pounders and pulled a 4.2 out last week, and have missed bigger! I've only been here for 3 months and can't wait to see what other fisheries I can find!  trying to upload the picture of my 4 pounder but it says my file is too big.

#10 BuckMaxx

BuckMaxx

Rippin Lips...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Twitter:@Buckmaxxmineral
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs

Posted August 23 2013 - 07:28 AM

Good for you!! I can tell you the bigger lakes right now are TOUGH!! I have been going to the smaller private spots and catching 30-40 a night on topwater. One of the most memorable for the year will be my girlfriend's 4 lber. It came 2 feet outta the water to karate chop her buzzbait. AWESOME!

Super Sexy '92 Ranger DC 482v, 150 Merc, Hyd Jack, Hotfoot, Pure Bad...

ALL THE GIRLS WANNA RIDE.... ~Jawga Boys~

#11 JellyMan

JellyMan

Hut!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida
  • My PB:Between 11-12 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pretty much anywhere in Florida.

Posted August 25 2013 - 09:19 PM

I lived in Highlands Ranch for 4 months but never fished. I just heard through the grape vine that Chatfield and Aurora are about it other than private water. I hear about good water outside the state tho. New Mexico, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas.

GOD I am glad to be home. Colorado was cool but my home is Florida. No job or salary will get me out of Florida. Dont know what you got till it's gone.

Revo STX / 7'1 MH/F Omen Black (Jigs)

Revo STX / 7'1 M/F Omen Black (Weightless Plastics)

Revo S / 6'10 M/F Omen Black (Top Water/Cranking)

Revo STX / 7'1 MH/F Omen Black (Weighted Plastics / Pitching)

#12 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Ponds and lakes in the middle of NO WHERE

Posted October 12 2013 - 09:25 AM

willy getting skunked!!!!!! hahahah

The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you? –Lee Wulff

#13 Blake - ColoradoAngling

Blake - ColoradoAngling

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted December 03 2013 - 11:41 PM

I live next to chatfield resavoir and there's these ponds and there call the south platte ponds and they all have tons of bass up to 2 and a half feet... Cuaght a 32 in large mouth out of there at the beginning of september

#14 CoBass

CoBass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted December 04 2013 - 02:33 AM

I live next to chatfield resavoir and there's these ponds and there call the south platte ponds and they all have tons of bass up to 2 and a half feet... Cuaght a 32 in large mouth out of there at the beginning of september

There are some decent bass in South Platte Park but there ain't no 2 and a half foot bass in there let alone a 32 incher. Fish that size would be world record sized and a fish like that doesn't live anywhere in Colorado. Not trying to be a jerk about it  but maybe next time you should turn your tape measure over and use the side that is in inches not centimeters.

#15 Blake - ColoradoAngling

Blake - ColoradoAngling

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted December 04 2013 - 08:51 AM

There are some decent bass in South Platte Park but there ain't no 2 and a half foot bass in there let alone a 32 incher. Fish that size would be world record sized and a fish like that doesn't live anywhere in Colorado. Not trying to be a jerk about it but maybe next time you should turn your tape measure over and use the side that is in inches not centimeters.

Ok we'll maybe not 32 inches but in those ponds there's a lot of bass over 2 feet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users