Catch And Release!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted May 04 2013 - 01:39 PM

I recently sanded down the hump on an Avid and all the filler fell out. It looks and feel terrible. I did some research and it seems that people are recommending Elmer's Wood Filler, but I've never done this before and would like some help in case I mess up my handle. I would like to get it back close to factory if possible.

What colour should I purchase?

Will the filler make my handle feel different than say the bottom end I left untouched?

Is it okay not to apply a cork sealer? Will it fall out when wet or when I clean my handle with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

Any other ways to fill the voids that's better than the Elmer's?

#2 Maico1

Maico1

JDM SNOB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationEast Greenbush, New York
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Abanakee

Posted May 04 2013 - 01:58 PM

Not sure what you mean by the hump........You could also get some cork rings and do the following. Sand off enough cork to mix with epoxy to fill the void and then sand it down until smooth and to the shape you want. I am assuming you have a hole or gouge etc.

#3 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Catch And Release!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 03:12 PM

I sanded down the power hump behind the reel seat and all the wood filler fell out. I want to fill those voids.

It looks like this.

005.JPG

Can you tell me what type/brand of epoxy? I actually don't know what that is.

What is the mix ratio between cork dust/epoxy?

#4 Crookedneck

Crookedneck

Practice CPR! Catch, Photo, Release!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:The Menominee

Posted May 04 2013 - 04:44 PM

2 options. Take some water proof wood glue with cork shavings or golden oak wood filler
"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." -Steven Wright

#5 MichBassMan

MichBassMan

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Locationmichigans up

Posted May 04 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have fixed several handles that looked just about like your picture before I started. I took an old piece of cork and used rough sand paper to make cork sawdust. I mixed it with wood glue making a runny paste. I just dabbed some in the holes I wanted to fill. position the rod so the patch is up while it dries. Some deep holes may take a second application because it does shrink slightly as it cures. Light sanding with fine sandpaper and your done. 

#6 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Catch And Release!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:16 PM

Went out to the local hardware store to see what they had and they've changed the Elmer's Carp. Wood Filler from Interior/Exterior to Interior only. I wasn't sure if they've changed the formula as well so I emailed them and they said to use their ProBond Max Wood Fillers. I'm still not sure what the best option is for me since I'm really picky with my gear so I might just leave my handles alone for now.

#7 ataris41

ataris41

Nothing is Impossible

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Twitter:jrose196
  • LocationSt. Robert, Missouri
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Kentucky Lake and Table Rock

Posted May 06 2013 - 05:45 PM

If you don't like the feeling, you should get some Wilson over grip for tennis rackets. At walmart you can get 3 rolls for $2.99 and it is awesome. I have it on all of my cork handles.  YOu get a good grip, even in the rain. Its alot cheaper than a rod wrap and I think it probably works just as well. It also looks pretty rad. And when you take it off, its not sticky on the cork. Just an idea if you are not liking the feeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users