fishing
fish
fish
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Making A Tackle Room...organization Tips Wanted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 airborne_angler

airborne_angler

Itchin to go Fishin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 01:40 PM

So now that 3 of the 4 stepkids have moved out, I have a room I'm turning into my tackle room. The plan is to run furring strips (1×2) on the studs from where the wall meets the ceiling down to where the wall meets the floor.

Then I want to run pegboard over the existing wall, with the furring strips allowing a space so I can insert pegs into the pegboard.

Now this is where the decision making comes in. I've got a ***** ton of soft plastics...all sorts of brands, all types...lizards, flukes, finesse worms, swimbaits,ribbon tail worms, creatures...you name it...

Some brands I only have one bag of,some i have multiple bags of products ..so what's the best way to organize these. Do I do it by brand...do I do it by category...by color?? I know its entirely up to me but this is my first time setting up something up like this...what works for everyone?

I'm leaning towards category...all the bags of bait I only have 1 bag of a brand in lets say,ribbon tail worms will go on one peg, while baits i have multiple bags of,say for example, 7 bags of Berkley Ribbon tails,will get thier own peg.Colors arent gonna matter, styles will...clear as mud?
To Fish or Not to fish...What a stupid Question

When Fishing,I practice C.P.R. (Catch, Photograph and Release)

Dinks are Dinks...Be easy on em, they cant help it

#2 deaknh03

deaknh03

Nobody looks good with brown lipstick on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 01:56 PM

I would organize them by type, and in that type have a sub organization by brand. Good luck, and hopefully when the kids move back home they don't mind sleeping in the backyard in a tent.

Stupidity has a certain charm-ignorance does not.

#3 tbone1993

tbone1993

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 09:20 PM

So now that 3 of the 4 stepkids have moved out, I have a room I'm turning into my tackle room. The plan is to run furring strips (1×2) on the studs from where the wall meets the ceiling down to where the wall meets the floor.

Then I want to run pegboard over the existing wall, with the furring strips allowing a space so I can insert pegs into the pegboard.

Now this is where the decision making comes in. I've got a ***** ton of soft plastics...all sorts of brands, all types...lizards, flukes, finesse worms, swimbaits,ribbon tail worms, creatures...you name it...

Some brands I only have one bag of,some i have multiple bags of products ..so what's the best way to organize these. Do I do it by brand...do I do it by category...by color?? I know its entirely up to me but this is my first time setting up something up like this...what works for everyone?

I'm leaning towards category...all the bags of bait I only have 1 bag of a brand in lets say,ribbon tail worms will go on one peg, while baits i have multiple bags of,say for example, 7 bags of Berkley Ribbon tails,will get thier own peg.Colors arent gonna matter, styles will...clear as mud?

This might sound weird and like a ton of work but what I would do in my own house would be  to cut a hole in the ceiling in one section to create a box for rods that are 8 ft long.   I have tall ceilings in most rooms except my basement is pretty short.  The peg boards work great but so do the metal selves for plastic rubber maid boxes and such. I would also put a desk in there with a tv/ computer. Make it essentially a man cave. 

#4 BeckieC

BeckieC

I work to support our fishing habit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 11:23 PM

Whatever you do, do it quick before they boomerang!  Been there, done that times 3 kids, everyone of them boomeranged an couple of times before we got them out for good.  Love em, but I love them more now that they have their own places.

#5 A-Jay

A-Jay

The harder I work, the luckier I get ~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,826 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 03:48 AM

Put a door on it - One With A Lock ~

A-Jay

US Coast Guard Retired
~ Semper Paratus ~
Hope is not a strategy
President of the Scrounga Club

#6 SwampLife

SwampLife

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:50 AM

Post pics of the progress

#7 PABASS

PABASS

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:46 PM

I would sell off any plastics that have not been used in a  two years time.  Currently I sort my plastics by type and then by color, however if I had a ton I would mirror what brick and mortar stores do brand, type, size, color.

#8 iabass8

iabass8

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:54 PM

Eventually you will get tired (at least I did) of having colors mixed in that are the same type of worm or having brands mixed together. Just make one massive wall for your hooks/hardbaits/jigs/plastics, keep everything separate and you will know exactly what you have and use/don't use and it will be so much easier to keep it organized. You will probably end up doing this down the road anyway so trust me, it will save a lot of work and just do it right the first time. Welcome to the man cave club!

#9 airborne_angler

airborne_angler

Itchin to go Fishin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 10:45 PM

I was discussing the whole thing with my wife and made mention I need to get some furring strips to start with...she suggested I go out and get some pallets.

Around here some places have them for free. Might be a little work to disassemble them, but you can't beat free. The strips can be crude, as they are just gonna be a way to set the pegboard off the existing wall a little bit.So that's where I'm gonna start...collecting pallets...anything left over can be used for a bonfire...
To Fish or Not to fish...What a stupid Question

When Fishing,I practice C.P.R. (Catch, Photograph and Release)

Dinks are Dinks...Be easy on em, they cant help it

#10 wnybassman

wnybassman

My name is Noel, and I am a Vanish user........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 04:47 AM

I would sell off any plastics that have not been used in a  two years time.

Good advice.  I have found over the years that I put tackle in my bassroom that is not just a back-up stash to what I carry in the boat, it sits there until I either sell it, try to give it ww2farmer, or throw it away.  Very rarely does it ever get used again and generally just takes up space.

Although pegboard is a good idea, IMO you will also need shelving to harbor plastic shoebox size tubs or something one size larger.  You can store a lot more stuff in a smaller area that way, although you won't be able to "see" it.  My room is pretty small, maybe you have a lot more room to work with.