fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

What are some of your favorite "Old School" bass baits?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#16 bass or bass ?

bass or bass ?

I love catching bass and playing bass!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 02 2010 - 07:41 PM

The old jitterbugs have much better action and noise than the new ones, so I still use old jitterbugs quite a bit.

I also throw a few old creek chubs (pikies, injured minnows), heddon river runts, and south bend bass o renos every now and then.
I don't use any nice ones as that can be kinda pricey. ;)

I used to collect Punkinseeds, but never have fished with one. I may have to give that a shot. I love those old lures

I have a Heddon Punkinseed that I throw sometimes, although I have yet to catch anything with it.
~B.A.S.S.~N.A.F.C.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

#17 snuffy33

snuffy33

ahh!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted July 02 2010 - 08:35 PM

The old jitterbugs have much better action and noise than the new ones, so I still use old jitterbugs quite a bit.

I think when they put that rattle in them it changed the action.
Not for the better.   
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

#18 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,618 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 02:43 AM

Original Flatfish, still around but never see one in a tackle shop.
Agree with Catt, if it worked 50 years ago it will today.
I've been turned on to a Wahoo redfish gold spoon for bass, not saying it's better than the j-spoon.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#19 0119

King of the Island of Misfit Toys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 08:23 AM

Johnson spoon but in black chrome.  Hildebrandt Snagless Sally yellow with a goldblade. That is a killer but I cant find them anywhere.

#20 Catt

Catt

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

• Members
  • 14,695 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 08:46 AM

Johnson spoon but in black chrome. Hildebrandt Snagless Sally yellow with a goldblade. That is a killer but I cant find them anywhere.

They are in every store down south  ;)
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#21 Catt

Catt

• Members
  • 14,695 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've been turned on to a Wahoo redfish gold spoon for bass, not saying it's better than the j-spoon.

Ya can't catch bass on salt water lures  ;)
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#22 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • 10,618 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 10:23 AM

Ya can't catch bass on salt water lures  ;)

Question or statement?
I catch bass all the time on saltwater lures and vice versa.  Predatory fish are pretty much the same, I don't think fish are as near fussy as many people seem to think.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#23 Catt

Catt

• Members
  • 14,695 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 05:38 PM

Ya can't catch bass on salt water lures ;)

Question or statement?
I catch bass all the time on saltwater lures and vice versa. Predatory fish are pretty much the same, I don't think fish are as near fussy as many people seem to think.

It has amazed me how long it took for some people to blend the two ;)

#24 0119

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 06:04 PM

I havent found a snagless sally in any store in southwest florida. Its my understanding its discountinued. I havent found it on yakimas site either. Thinking about making them from parts available from janns or barlows.

#25 tholmes

tholmes

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 11:00 AM

I havent found a snagless sally in any store in southwest florida. Its my understanding its discountinued. I havent found it on yakimas site either. Thinking about making them from parts available from janns or barlows.

BPS lists them on their website.
http://www.basspro.c...0006000_100-6-0

Some colors are out of stock.

Tom
There are no magic lures and the fish don't care how much you paid for your gear.

#26 0119

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 02:26 PM

Wow thats good to know, thanks! Ive never seen them on the shelves or their print catalog, ever.

#27 deaknh03

deaknh03

Nobody looks good with brown lipstick on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 05:11 PM

man I used to have this jointed topwater rebel in a perch color, now all I can find is silver/black and silver/blue, but that perch used to be my go to lure and would always come thru.
Stupidity has a certain charm-ignorance does not.

#28 bigtimfish

bigtimfish

Cleverness is not wisdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 07:15 PM

Lucky 13, Devils Horse, Manns Jelly worms and last but definatley NOT least, Creme Scoundrel
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory         George S. Patton

#29 junebugmn

junebugmn

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 05:24 PM

I am truly surprised ;) that no one has mentioned the often immitated but never duplicated, Johnny O' Neill's Weed Wing ;) has any one ever used one of these? My favorite color was either black, black chrome, or just green with a mr twister tripple tail or a 3 or 4 inch piece of a tripple tail worm from bass pro shop's, I don't know if they still make those either, but the last company to make the weed wing was harrison hoge and they made the frog's. My other favorite is my old devil's horse yellow with black spot's, a color they haven't made for year's! It's retired!! Junebugman

#30 briansnat

briansnat

I am not a fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 09:53 AM

I am truly surprised ;) that no one has mentioned the often immitated but never duplicated, Johnny O' Neill's Weed Wing ;) has any one ever used one of these? 

I've used most of the lures mentioned here but never saw or heard of the Weed Wing before.  I just googled it and see there are some being sold on Ebay. Interesting looking lure.  Looks like a spinner/spoon combo.