bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Best setup for a Chatterbait type lure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 airborne_angler

airborne_angler

Itchin to go Fishin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 04:22 PM

Ive watched the tutorial video Glenn put together about spinnerbaits,and one thing I keyed in on was him saying that its just not practical to throw a spinnerbait with a Spinning outfit.

So what about the latest craze, Chatterbaits,Pure Poison and the other baits similar to these.

I have several smaller SK Pure Poison baits(3/16oz) and im not sure I can get any really good distance casting this light of a lure on a baitcaster,without the fear of a serious backlash/birdsnest. Id probably wear myself out trying to get distance,casting that light thing all day on a Baitcaster.

Anyone throw Chatterbait type baits on a spinning setup with success?
To Fish or Not to fish...What a stupid Question

When Fishing,I practice C.P.R. (Catch, Photograph and Release)

Dinks are Dinks...Be easy on em, they cant help it

#2 HuntFishAK

HuntFishAK

Bassin' & Bowhuntin'...it's a way of life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 04:34 PM

Yes, I have.  I was throwing the trout/panfish sized Chatterbaits.  I've caught many different species on them.  Trout, largies, smallies, crappie, walleye, etc.

#3 rondef

rondef

Searching For My Trophy LMB & SMB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 06:52 PM

I use both baitcasters and spinning reels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits depending on the weight of the bait and the water clarity.  I have never had a problem using spinning reels.
www.reelamericanheroes.org
www.ragetail.com

#4 Hammer 4

Hammer 4

Fishin the High pressure waters of So. Cali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 07:09 PM

I use both baitcasters and spinning reels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits depending on the weight of the bait and the water clarity. I have never had a problem using spinning reels.

Ditto.

#5 zero

zero

bleach fan

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 07:38 PM

i can throw 1/8 oz chatterbait on steez baitcaster without promblem i prefer 1/8 and i will bump to 1/4-3/8 depends on depth and wind and clarity

#6 JDK.

JDK.

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 09:59 PM

I never throw small chatterbaits always 5/8 or bigger with big plastic craw on back which helps for weighting..
You might wanna adjust the brakes on your reel and add a bulkier trailer for betting casting..but i dont see the harm in using a spinning combo if you feel you must