Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

airborne_angler

Best setup for a Chatterbait type lure

6 posts in this topic

Ive watched the tutorial video Glenn put together about spinnerbaits,and one thing I keyed in on was him saying that its just not practical to throw a spinnerbait with a Spinning outfit.

So what about the latest craze, Chatterbaits,Pure Poison and the other baits similar to these.

I have several smaller SK Pure Poison baits(3/16oz) and im not sure I can get any really good distance casting this light of a lure on a baitcaster,without the fear of a serious backlash/birdsnest. Id probably wear myself out trying to get distance,casting that light thing all day on a Baitcaster.

Anyone throw Chatterbait type baits on a spinning setup with success?

Yes, I have.  I was throwing the trout/panfish sized Chatterbaits.  I've caught many different species on them.  Trout, largies, smallies, crappie, walleye, etc.

I use both baitcasters and spinning reels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits depending on the weight of the bait and the water clarity.  I have never had a problem using spinning reels.

I use both baitcasters and spinning reels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits depending on the weight of the bait and the water clarity. I have never had a problem using spinning reels.

Ditto.

i can throw 1/8 oz chatterbait on steez baitcaster without promblem i prefer 1/8 and i will bump to 1/4-3/8 depends on depth and wind and clarity

I never throw small chatterbaits always 5/8 or bigger with big plastic craw on back which helps for weighting..

You might wanna adjust the brakes on your reel and add a bulkier trailer for betting casting..but i dont see the harm in using a spinning combo if you feel you must