• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002753144909
  • LocationYuma, Arizona
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lower Colorado.... Yuma Arizona

Posted September 14 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm going to be in Astoria Oregon from May 28th, 2014 to June 4th 2014 and I plan on looking for some smallmouth bass on the Columbia River.  I have been looking at a map of the Columbia River from Tongue Point (Cathlamet Bay up river to the Wallace Slough) also including a strech of river on the Washington side near Cathlamet.  If anyone has any experance catching some bronze  backs on this section of River would be great.  All my fishing is catch and release.    If you know of any close by areas outside of were I have stated I'm going to be fishing I would love to hear about them.

Thank You for your Time......

#2 Glenn

Glenn

I love bass fishing!

• BassResource.com Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,469 posts
  • Facebook:bassresource
  • Twitter:bassresourcecom
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Potholes Reservoir, Banks Lake, Columbia River: Tri-Cities.

Posted September 15 2013 - 11:18 AM

That's some serious brackish water you're looking at.  I've fished that area a few times with minimal success.  Your best chances are up river from Longview, further away from the salt water influence.  Stay in the sloughs, away from the main channel.  HOWEVER - pay extreme attention to the tide charts!  You will get stuck otherwise, guaranteed.  Those sloughs drain out very quickly when the tide changes.

Also, get yourself as many topo maps as possible and study all of them.  That area has a lot of hazards that get you in trouble if you're not paying attention.  And no single map shows them all.

That said, it's a beautiful stretch to fish.  You'll have fun.

The people that hate you, don't know you. They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us:

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 BassinBlues

BassinBlues

Always wishin' I was Bass Fishin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationYuma, Arizona

Posted September 15 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thank you... I grew up in Astoria and lived there for 25 yrs....  That entire time I did no bass fishing on the river, really wish I would have.  I only bass fishing Sloughs that were shut off from the river...  I do know how dangerous that river is...... Thank you very much for the input, and it is a beatuiful body of water!!

#4 Oregon Native

Oregon Native

Oregon Native

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Columbia River for Smallmouth
    California Delta for Largemouth
    Out here in Tennessee not sure yet.

Posted September 26 2013 - 01:07 AM

Was born in Astoria many years ago. The farther up the river I believe the better. I used to fish a lot of sloughs and have won many tournaments in the Scappose area. There is a slough just up from Astoria called John Day I believe and sturgeon fishermen head down under a trestle and bass fishermen head up. I like the high tide to the low with the low being my favorite. Learn to love current. Glenn is right on....be carefull sandbars, deadheads and other @#!$ can leave you stranded. If by yourself take safety measures. Most all the sloughs have some good fishing and keeping secrets is the name of the game for the pigs that live in this area. Our best five in a tourney was just shy of 25#. Come may or so head up to Hood River and fish from there up to the Dalles. AWESOME smallies. Big wind area and six footers and higher not uncommon.
Tight Lines

#5 BassinBlues

BassinBlues

Always wishin' I was Bass Fishin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationYuma, Arizona

Posted September 30 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thank you very much for the info

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users