• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pawtuckaway Lake

Posted November 23 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hey guys. Buying a bass boat and need some opinions and advice.

#1-- 2006 skeeter sx180 w/ 115hp mercury optimax. Low hours, extremely clean, stock fish finders, 70lb 24v minnkota, $10,500

#2--2005 nitro nx882 w/ 150hp Merc xr6, 8ft power pole, fixed jack plate, hydraulic steering upgrade, hummingbird 597ci, garmin 500c, 24v 75lb minnkota, boat had had a LOT more use than skeeter, carpets worn, all seats need to be replaced. $11,250

Both boats have on board chargers and hot foot pedals. Idk if skeeter is a better boat but I will be sacrificing the upgrades on the nitro for a newer boat In better condition with less hours. Can you guys please give me honest opinions and help direct me to the better choice? This will be my first boat and will have to consider the 2 strike vs the 4 stroke. Thanks guys

#2 BostonMahhk

BostonMahhk

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 23 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'm sorry. The skeeter had a 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke not a Merc optimax

#3 tnriverluver

tnriverluver

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn
  • My PB:Between 11-12 lbs

Posted November 23 2013 - 05:34 PM

Skeeter!!!!

#4 BostonMahhk

BostonMahhk

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 23 2013 - 05:35 PM

Can you explain why?

#5 slonezp

slonezp

Life isn't fair.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationWandering Aimlessly
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Anywhere I can drop a line.

Posted November 23 2013 - 06:08 PM

If the Skeeter is in better overall condition, why not? The Yammie 4 stroke is a very reliable motor. 115 on an 18' boat may be somewhat underpowered, but for a first boat, you'll want to have as little problems as you can. If the Nitro has been beat up pretty good you may want to pass. Either way, have a competent mechanic look at whichever boat you buy before you hand over the cash. If it cost you $100 to prevent a $10k mistake, it's well worth it. 

Is "basstiality" the same as sleeping with the fishes?

Posted Image

#6 tnriverluver

tnriverluver

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn
  • My PB:Between 11-12 lbs

Posted November 23 2013 - 07:21 PM

Can you explain why?

Just my personal opinion, but during those years I am sure Skeeter built a better quality boat than Nitro.  With their latest offerings though they are much closer together.

#7 Lewi

Lewi

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs

Posted November 23 2013 - 09:38 PM

Really I see this as a no brainier decision I have to say with what you state. Skeeter.

1).There are some appealing upgrades to the Nitro but I am curious to the care what was taken with it as the carpet and seats are in bad shape and that is something that I am VERY particular to.

2).The Skeeter is a fine boat and would be my hands down choice in the years you are looking even though the Nitro line in the last few years are very appealing...I would like personally a little more HP out of the Skeeter but you should be very satisfied with from what I have read a very reliable 115 Yamaha motor.

3). With the 2 & 4 stroke debate you may as well search here for that and other sites to decide what it is that you want.  There are pros and differences (note I didn't say "cons") to these types of engines that may be more appealing from one to the next.  

Can't wait to see what you get!

-Lewi

#8 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationKCK
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:One without other boats

Posted November 23 2013 - 10:55 PM

Keep looking, the nitro's beat up and with the Skeeter you'll always want more HP.
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#9 BBD

BBD

FloGrown Angler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted November 23 2013 - 10:57 PM

Buy the Nitro simply because it has a big motor on it, and it has a lot of useful options.    But please post pics for us to see JUST HOW worn the carpet/seats are.  If they're in extremely bad condition, pass on both of those boats and don't consider anything that's underpowered for the size/weight of the hull.

In my opinion, you'd be crazy to by an 18' Skeeter with a 115 on it.  Repowering a boat can be expensive, so do this right the first go round.  That Skeeter is going to be dog slow compared to the others who will show up to the tournament with REAL motors on the back doing 75+mph.

Now, if you don't plan on being a compettitive tourney guy, then the underpowered Skeeter may be the way to go, but as said earlier, the newer nitro lines are very good, and it has a decent sized motor for that hull

Long story short.  If you're going to spend 10k+ on a glass boat, GET THE BIGGEST MOTOR YOU CAN AFFORD. I cannot stress that enough!!!!!

I think you'll regret getting an underpowered boat after spending a decent chunk of change like that when you can find properly powered boats for that money in great condition, especially since this is the time of year to buy a boat.  Buying a new boat is alway exciting, but don't let that excitmenet blind the fact that YOU WILL WISH you hadn't had spent money for an underpowered boat.

FloGrown - It's A Lifestyle

WWW.FLOGROWN.COM

#10 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, Pa
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie, Lehigh River

Posted November 24 2013 - 12:06 AM

Look out for the skeeter trailer, I've seen some (think they were ezloader) really messed up ones when I was looking for boats, some even had split/cracked rims because they mixed different alloys. Getting a new trailer could be as bad as getting a repower.

How's the wear on the nitro?

Tom

Getting closer.

#11 BostonMahhk

BostonMahhk

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 24 2013 - 02:48 AM

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#12 BostonMahhk

BostonMahhk

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 24 2013 - 02:51 AM

The nitro is 6 hrs away and the skeeter is 2 hrs away so it's kind of an issue to see before I buy and both are winterized and covered so I can't really test drive them either

#13 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, Pa
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie, Lehigh River

Posted November 24 2013 - 02:59 PM

Those carpets don't look bad at all, seats are ripped beyond repair.

If the guys want to sell their boats they better get them ready to run so you can test them.

Tom

Getting closer.

#14 BBD

BBD

FloGrown Angler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted November 24 2013 - 03:05 PM

Get the Nitro. New seat covers and you'll be fine, but don't buy any boat without testing then in the water like WifeAlwaysWins said.

BUY THE NITRO. That Nitro should run about 60/65.
FloGrown - It's A Lifestyle

WWW.FLOGROWN.COM

#15 BostonMahhk

BostonMahhk

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 24 2013 - 03:31 PM

I can get brand new seats for $380 and they told me they've meticulously maintained the boat and ALWAYS had it serviced and even more often than needed. They said what normally needed to be done every other year always got done every year and they've never had an issue with the engine. I know the Xr6 is one of mercury's best built engines. I've read nothing but great things about it. What actions can I take to ensure its in good condition with it being 6 hrs away?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users