• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSouthern NJ
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted March 05 2014 - 11:33 AM

Review is here. This is not my review BTW

Every now and again a company comes along that does things differently. They cast away the tried and true and do it their way. Their swagger exudes confidence, their products cut new ground and they seem to align themselves with like-minded people and dreamers. Personally speaking, I put 13 Fishing in that category.

A few weeks ago I finally got my hands on the new  to run through the wringer. As impressed as I’ve been by their rods, I had high expectations for this reel—and as it turns out, I wasn’t let down.

Lightweight, but a definite workhorse

Finding heavy duty casting reels isn’t too entirely difficult, but finding one that blends ergonomics and weightlessness can prove to be a challenge. While many tough reels are bulky and tiring to use, the  an absolute pleasure to fish with for days on end.

It only weighs 6.7 ounces and the model I tested features an 8.1:1 gear ratio. I’ve been using it for pitching and flipping and it’s been an absolute monster. It eats up line quickly and efficiently, allowing you to get big bass out and away from thick cover in a hurry.

This reel also has a 22 pound Bulldog Drag System that, when cinched down, will not slip or release any line whatsoever at any point throughout the day. It doesn’t matter if you stick a 6-pounder in a thick brush pile or accidentally set the hook on an infamous “tree bass”—there is absolutely no give in this drag system. I’ve wrapped the line around my hand and pulled until the line almost cut me and still cannot make the drag slip. This is a huge plus, especially for shallow water anglers that fancy huge hooksets.

Great handle and paddles

Over time, you’ll find some low profile casting reels that may actually be a little too low profile. The handle will be small and difficult to locate at times without looking and the miniature paddles will make it hard to control unruly fish. This isn’t the case with the Concept A Casting Reel.

13 Fishing designed this reel with an oversized handle that gives you the definite upper-hand when fighting big fish. If you get surprised by a bite, it’s easy to locate the handle without any fumbling or wasted time. I’ve also been very impressed by the compressed cork paddles on the handle. Some anglers worry about the durability and longevity of cork, but I have personally made thousands and thousands of pitches with it and it looks the exact same as the day I took it out of the box. No color fading, no cracking and no separation to speak of.

You’ll also notice a very handy rubberized insert on the thumb bar. If you’ve just handled a fish or you’re fishing in inclement weather, this insert eliminates all slipping and helps you engage the thumb bar very easily.

Extremely smooth

For a reel that retails at $169.99, the Concept A is remarkably smooth and performs like some reels double its price. It has six ball bearings, three being anti-corrosion and three being stainless steel, with a super smooth roller bearing that allows for ridiculous casting distance and very smooth retrieval, even when it’s under a big load.

The chassis of this reel is made from very lightweight aluminum, but it has proven to be durable in every situation I’ve put it in. I’ve dropped it and banged it around in my truck and boat without any loss of structural or mechanical integrity.

I’ve also been pretty blown away by its Arrowhead line guide system. Basically, this system automatically levels the spool on the cast and retrieve, which facilitates flawless line management throughout its operation. Whether you flip it, pitch it or cast it, the line rests evenly on the spool each time—no lumps, tangles or knots.

If you’re in the market for a new bass fishing reel, I definitely suggest checking out the 13 Fishing Concept A Casting Reel. It’s lightweight, strong, ergonomic and super smooth—I don’t know what else you could ask for in a quality fishing reel.

#2 Delaware Valley Tackle

Delaware Valley Tackle

I Love Bass Fishing!

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Facebook:100001517419739#!/pages/Milford-PA/Delaware-Valley
  • LocationFort Plain, NY
    Mohawk River Valley
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted March 05 2014 - 11:48 AM

Sounds like it was written by one of their marketing people. If anyone has one of these I'll service it free just to get a look inside and let everyone know what I find.

10% Disc. on Reel Repair/Service & Custom Rods for BassResource.com members! www.delawarevalleytackle.com

#3 motodmast

motodmast

Make it your goal to be great at what you do.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/david.mast.594
  • LocationEnumclaw, Washington
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Tapps, Sawyer, Potholes, Hayden and american lake, plus all the small electric only lakes

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:05 PM

I read that review, it was by Wired To Fish

~Dobyns Rods (http://www.dobynsrods.com)

~Lews Reels (http://www.lews.com/reels)

~Fisher Brothers Baits (https://www.facebook...rBrothersBaitCo)

~ Limit Out Performance Marine (http://www.limitoutmarine.com/)

#4 CYP

CYP

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSouthern NJ

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:18 PM

I read that review, it was by Wired To Fish

Yup

#5 Maico1

Maico1

JDM SNOB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationEast Greenbush, New York
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Abanakee

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:35 PM

Here is the link to that Terry Brown review...http://www.wired2fish.com/13-fishing-concept-a-casting-reel/

#6 Cgrinder

Cgrinder

grumpy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationDetroit Metro
  • My PB:Between 3-4 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Misery

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:36 PM

If only they made lefties.

#7 lmbfisherman

lmbfisherman

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario
  • Favorite Lake or River:Guelph Lake, OR Pond

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yeah it sounds like a "fanboy" review.  No offense, I would like to have seen pictures of the internals and more detail about the construction/parts. 

G Loomis, Shimano, Fenwick and Wilderness Systems Ride 135

#8 new2BC4bass

new2BC4bass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:14 PM

What can I say.....it isn't a Shimano!  :teeth:

#9 bootytrain

bootytrain

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:26 PM

I don't see any new designs, technology,or anything revolutionary about these. I'm thinking they will perform well but not class leading or anything.

#10 Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn N Bassin

Grizzn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationCoxsackie ,Ny
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Ponds and lakes in the middle of NO WHERE

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:35 PM

Sounds like a decent reel. No left handers??

The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you? –Lee Wulff

#11 Tywithay

Tywithay

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:59 PM

Saltyshores did a review of the C reel. Caught a sweet snook on it.

#12 Fishwhittler

Fishwhittler

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 02:02 PM

What can one take away from reading that review?  Let's see:

Lightweight, but a definite workhorse

Finding heavy duty casting reels isn’t too entirely difficult, but finding one that blends ergonomics and weightlessness can prove to be a challenge. While many tough reels are bulky and tiring to use, the  an absolute pleasure to fish with for days on end.

It only weighs 6.7 ounces and the model I tested features an 8.1:1 gear ratio. I’ve been using it for pitching and flipping and it’s been an absolute monster. It eats up line quickly and efficiently, allowing you to get big bass out and away from thick cover in a hurry.

This reel also has a 22 pound Bulldog Drag System that, when cinched down, will not slip or release any line whatsoever at any point throughout the day. It doesn’t matter if you stick a 6-pounder in a thick brush pile or accidentally set the hook on an infamous “tree bass”—there is absolutely no give in this drag system. I’ve wrapped the line around my hand and pulled until the line almost cut me and still cannot make the drag slip. This is a huge plus, especially for shallow water anglers that fancy huge hooksets.

So…he just told us it's light, has a strong drag, and a fast gear ratio.  Ok.  We already knew that thanks to the manufacturer's specs.  Granted, not all drags actually live up to their rating, so we'll give him a pass there.  But, how smooth is the drag?  Does it stay smooth at all settings, or does it start to jerk as you crank it down tighter and tighter?  And just how smooth does the reel remain while under pressure?  Do the gear teeth feel any rougher under load than load free?  Better yet, has he fished the reel for a full fishing season and noted any changes in performance?

Great handle and paddles

Over time, you’ll find some low profile casting reels that may actually be a little too low profile. The handle will be small and difficult to locate at times without looking and the miniature paddles will make it hard to control unruly fish. This isn’t the case with the Concept A Casting Reel.

13 Fishing designed this reel with an oversized handle that gives you the definite upper-hand when fighting big fish. If you get surprised by a bite, it’s easy to locate the handle without any fumbling or wasted time. I’ve also been very impressed by the compressed cork paddles on the handle. Some anglers worry about the durability and longevity of cork, but I have personally made thousands and thousands of pitches with it and it looks the exact same as the day I took it out of the box. No color fading, no cracking and no separation to speak of.

You’ll also notice a very handy rubberized insert on the thumb bar. If you’ve just handled a fish or you’re fishing in inclement weather, this insert eliminates all slipping and helps you engage the thumb bar very easily.

Again, he's just given us a list of features, plus a few small tidbits of actual info about the reel's handle and knobs.

Extremely smooth

For a reel that retails at $169.99, the Concept A is remarkably smooth and performs like some reels double its price. It has six ball bearings, three being anti-corrosion and three being stainless steel, with a super smooth roller bearing that allows for ridiculous casting distance and very smooth retrieval, even when it’s under a big load.

The chassis of this reel is made from very lightweight aluminum, but it has proven to be durable in every situation I’ve put it in. I’ve dropped it and banged it around in my truck and boat without any loss of structural or mechanical integrity.

I’ve also been pretty blown away by its Arrowhead line guide system. Basically, this system automatically levels the spool on the cast and retrieve, which facilitates flawless line management throughout its operation. Whether you flip it, pitch it or cast it, the line rests evenly on the spool each time—no lumps, tangles or knots.

If you’re in the market for a new bass fishing reel, I definitely suggest checking out the 13 Fishing Concept A Casting Reel. It’s lightweight, strong, ergonomic and super smooth—I don’t know what else you could ask for in a quality fishing reel.

Rudimentary reading skills are all that's required to ascertain the reel's bearing count from the manufacturer's specs.  Now, does the reel lose any of that smoothness after several months of fishing?  

That roller bearing he raves about has absolutely ZERO impact on how well the reel casts.  A quick glance at any baitcast reel schematic will show where the roller bearing is located, and that it's physically impossible for that bearing to affect casting for better or worse.  If he wants to talk about casting, why not tell us about that braking system?  Is it user-friendly?  Does it have a wide range of adjustability?  Is it a terrible design?  Etc., etc.?

Describing another feature, he moves on to the aluminum frame.  Most baitcasters over $100 have an aluminum frame these days, and I'd hazard a guess that very, very few of them are weak enough to be damaged unless you deliberately try.  Tossing a reel around on a boat deck or truck bed shouldn't damage any decent metal reel frame.  It's not really good for it, but it won't result in the metal breaking unless you slam it around for years.

He gives us another small fragment of a review with the info concerning the line guide.  Apparently the shape of the line guide does help reduce friction during casting.

After reading that review, we still know little more than we did before reading it.  We know that the person reviewing the reel liked it, but as far as information concerning why we should buy the reel other than that the reviewer liked it, there's not much to go on.  Why is this reel better than the competition?  What does it do that other comparable reels don't, and vice-versa?  How will it hold up over the long haul?  And, how well is the reel built?  Are there rough edges in the fit and finish that would indicate corner-cutting, or is the reel finely constructed?

To me, the Wired 2 Fish review is not what a good review should be.  It provides little information concerning the reel's actual performance and spends too much time simply going over the manufacturer's specs and verifying that they are in fact incorporated into the reel.

My 2¢.

Tight lines all.

"I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."- John 3:3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Card-carrying member of the ACFC (Allen Craig Fan Club)

"Allen Craig is so valuable, the Cardinals wouldn't even trade his baseball card."

#13 iabass8

iabass8

#@%$*&%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Favorite Lake or River:Mississippi River, Pool 4

Posted March 05 2014 - 02:30 PM

Wired to Fish's reviews always come across as if a "fan boy" wrote them. I wouldn't even call them reviews. They are just a positive, detailed explanation of what an item is. Hats off to them for being pretty detailed in their observations. I actually do enjoy reading them though. the only thing I took away from 13 concept "review" is that the knobs are nice, it casts far, it's frame is aluminum, and it's really smooth in compared to reels twice it's price (it seems all reels these days are given this tag when they first come out)

#14 motodmast

motodmast

Make it your goal to be great at what you do.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/david.mast.594
  • LocationEnumclaw, Washington
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Tapps, Sawyer, Potholes, Hayden and american lake, plus all the small electric only lakes

Posted March 05 2014 - 02:35 PM

It's just like any new reel or rod, or lure or soft plastic, let people go buy them and test them for themselves. That how most things happen and is the best way for it to happen. I'm not afraid to try something new, I've had excellent luck and really enjoyed 13 fishing's products so far so I'm gonna say I will probably really like this reel. But I won't actually know until I get my hands on one and use it for a season. That's the same process I used to determine I don't like Shomano reels, but I love Lews Reels

And BTW, how can there be a review of something that's not even been out for a month yet, and is still yet to be released to the public. I love Wired To Fish, but they say EVERYTHING is great and is the BEST they have ever used...

~Dobyns Rods (http://www.dobynsrods.com)

~Lews Reels (http://www.lews.com/reels)

~Fisher Brothers Baits (https://www.facebook...rBrothersBaitCo)

~ Limit Out Performance Marine (http://www.limitoutmarine.com/)

#15 Tartan34

Tartan34

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationWindermere, FL
  • My PB:Between 10-11 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Butler Chain

Posted March 05 2014 - 03:15 PM

Here is a "field test" on the Concept C, although in a salt water application.  

http://saltyshores.c...t-c-field-test/

Not as detailed as I would like, but some good information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users