fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Accurate Fish scale?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 eastCoastbassin

eastCoastbassin

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Floater
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 09:39 AM

II recently got the," check your scale" comment from some fishing buddies. Jealous? Maybe, but now I'm doubting my scale. I will test it later on a 5lb weight, but I also like quality, so my question is, WHAT SCALE DO YOU RECCOMEND TO CARRY IN THE TACKLE BOX? I don't want to be "THAT" fisherman, so I could use some suggestions. Thanks and tight lines yall...

#2 WanderLust

WanderLust

Would rather be fishin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 09:58 AM

Length & width measurements are a good way to balance against a cheaper scale. At least then you know it was ballpark. Esp for bragging rights.

If you absolutely need a good tool for this... Boga an accurate one albeit at a price.... and trust me. Buy the float for it as well. ;)

#3 Dwight Hottle

Dwight Hottle

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 12:13 PM

The best in digital for accuracy is Salter Brecknell. Best spring scale is a Boga. These two scales are the most accurate per IGFA for routine yearly certification.

CEO, VP, SECRETARY AND CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

#4 Hammer 4

Hammer 4

Fishin the High pressure waters of So. Cali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 12:15 PM

For the weekend warrior, the Rapala works pretty well..about 30.00 or less.

#5 philsoreel

philsoreel

Cause the guy on tv said so!.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 01:25 PM

I've had terrible luck with scales. Rapala's and Berkley's were very inaccurate, dropped a set of mechanicals in and threw another set at a jerk in a ski boat. I've been carrying two cloth tapes and a video camera(my iphone) to document in case my scales croak again. Glad this question was asked, I'll check into those mentioned.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

#6 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 02:53 PM

Rapala has several digital models. I use the "mini" digital - it reads to 50lbs and is small enough to fit in the fanny pack I wear when fishing from the bank. When I've done test pulls on mine against a known weight it's always been close. I did a test pull last month just after catching my LMB PB (9.06). The test weight was calculated at 11.64 - the scale read 11.59 (eerily close). I checked it several times and powered down the scale between pulls and got the same results. I only have experience with this unit and can't say if it's a fluke or whether all units of this model are equally accurate. Also, all my test pulls have been in the 7 to 14lb range - nothing heavier. I imagine accuracy declines as you get closer to maxing out the load cell.

In any event - if you're not trying to document a record catch - just keeping track of weight for "talkin' purposes," anything acccurate within a couple tenths of a pound is probably plenty close.

Attached Thumbnails

• 50_lb_mini_digital_scale.jpg

Just fish...

#7 Jig Man

Jig Man

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 03:44 PM

BOGA GRIP.

#8 endless

endless

"I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 05:29 PM

I just got the Berkley brand from Walmart and so far been good. I had it over a year now and still check it with my weight plates. But last time I went out with some boys here from the site, me and kaotic1 use both are scales on s13john fish and both read the same. I think he has the BPS brand but I could be wrong.

Oh please dear lord let it be an 8 or more!!

Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing.-Ambrose Bierce
gallery_22855_157_3521.jpg

#9 Captain Shane Procell

Captain Shane Procell

Florida Everglades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have had really cheap scales for the last 20 years. Finally bought the "Boga". Its a high quality product built to last a lifetime.
Capt'n Shane
Florida Everglades
Posted Image

#10 BassThumb

BassThumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 05:49 PM

I use the the $30 Rapala Pro Guide scale. I've owned two of them because my old one got knocked overboard after about 4 years of use. The old one would read about 2 oz heavy, and the one I have now is about 1 oz heavy. Good enough for me, at least for $30.

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed_002.jpg

#11 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • 5,261 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have never had any problem with a digital Berkley scale. Do I want to trust it with money on the line and ounces count.............no. But it gives me a general idea of what a fish weighs, and more time than not it's as close as what most TX scales say. If I have any questions or doubts when culling I balance beam them, that don't lie. I bet most of the people upset at there scales are people who used to catch 5 and 6 lbers "all the time" untill they started putting them on a scale  and then they magicly shrunk to 3.25 lbs.
I am not afraid to suck.

#12 BassThumb

BassThumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 05:52 PM

I bet most of the people upset at there scales are people who used to catch 5 and 6 lbers "all the time" untill they started putting them on a scale and then they magicly shrunk to 3.25 lbs.

That's because of all the water that drained out of the fish in the time it took to scale them.  Actual excuse I heard.   ;D

#13 philsoreel

philsoreel

Cause the guy on tv said so!.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 06:14 PM

I bet most of the people upset at there scales are people who used to catch 5 and 6 lbers "all the time" untill they started putting them on a scale and then they magicly shrunk to 3.25 lbs.

That's because of all the water that drained out of the fish in the time it took to scale them. Actual excuse I heard. ;D

LMAO!!! I've heard that one before to. I call it Big Fish Fever.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

#14 .dsaavedra.

.dsaavedra.

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 06:15 PM

i had a rapala mini scale as posted above, and it was very very accurate, within an ounce or two.

i got rid of it because i didn't like using the hook to weigh fish, and i got a Berkley digital lip grip scale.

i like this scale a whole lot better. still accurate within an ounce and so much easier on the fish. i even use it to land pickerel so i don't have to deal with their teeth.
dave saavedra

#15 Hammer 4

Hammer 4

Fishin the High pressure waters of So. Cali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 06:17 PM

Rapala has several digital models. I use the "mini" digital - it reads to 50lbs and is small enough to fit in the fanny pack I wear when fishing from the bank. When I've done test pulls on mine against a known weight it's always been close. I did a test pull last month just after catching my LMB PB (9.06). The test weight was calculated at 11.64 - the scale read 11.59 (eerily close). I checked it several times and powered down the scale between pulls and got the same results. I only have experience with this unit and can't say if it's a fluke or whether all units of this model are equally accurate. Also, all my test pulls have been in the 7 to 14lb range - nothing heavier. I imagine accuracy declines as you get closer to maxing out the load cell.

In any event - if you're not trying to document a record catch - just keeping track of weight for "talkin' purposes," anything acccurate within a couple tenths of a pound is probably plenty close.

Same one I have, mines within 1/10th of an oz.  ;)