fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Rod Wrapping Tables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DavidGreen_*

Guest_DavidGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted January 12 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hey Keith, JimRippe, Upnorth, Master_Hunter_1977, all rod builders.
Here is a look at my wrapping table setup (it has changed some in the last couple of years). I was wondering what you all have for a wrapping area.

Posted Image

This table is directly across from the one in my avatar. It is 10'x 3.5' the fluorescent tubes are duel 40w, the power wrapper is an Amtak, the mixer on the left end is the one TK had in RodMaker (works great), the drying box under the table is 8'. I don't use the swing lamp anymore. I now use an Optivisor.

Tight Wraps!   :)

#2 JimRippe

JimRippe

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 09:31 PM

That is a sweet set-up.  For myself I use the dining room table. This is where my Amtack wrapper is set-up at.   I live in a townhome with limited space.  I am thankful my wife puts up with the rod building stuff most of the time.  I must go outside to shape my grips. That's not a problem.  Now the Optivisor.  that is a must to have.  It has saved me from going nuts.  Before I could only work for about 15 minutes then I'd have to take a break.  Now, I can work for an hour or so on a wrap before taking a break.  Now I have visted Tom Kirkman at his shop in N.C. and that is an awesome set-up.

#3 Guest_DavidGreen_*

Guest_DavidGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted January 13 2006 - 08:20 AM

Jim,
yeah I saw some photos of TK's setup. I tried one time to get a building that would allow me that much work space and equipment setups, but the overhead would have killed me. When I started building in the late 80's I used one of the spare bedrooms in our apartment, man that was tough trying to keep it clean enough. This shop is in my attached garage that I gutted and rebuilt just for my reel service and rod building really keeps the overhead down now..

The Optivisor is a must have, I tried using the swing arm lamp and magnifier that is on the bench in the pic for awhile but soon found it would not serve my purposes, the other must have is enough lite.

On the far right of that bench is another bench that has my drill press, and cork lathe setup. It is were I do all of my cork work. I'll try and get a pic of it posted.

#4 flechero

flechero

Hawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 12:39 AM

That is one supremely organized work area!!!!  I salute you!!  My current work area is a combo of a half of a garage that shares space with a woodshop, storage, home workbench and a few others... bottom line is it looks like a tornado hit it, on a good day!  I have shop plans (the wife said I could build it last year) but I decided that we would pay off all our debt before I built the shop.  And the good lord willing, we'll be debt free and start pouring concrete in May.  (keep your fingers crossed for me!)

I will be saving your pictures as inspiration into how organized I should be... I'm classic right brained, lots of ideas and low organization.  I would like to change the organization part of the stereotype.

Thanks for the glimpse into the shop!
"Grandpa shook his head and said "I can see it now, he'll be the first 5 year old in history that can back a trailer down the ramp."  

Anyone have a booster seat to fit a GMC pickup?  

#5 Guest_DavidGreen_*

Guest_DavidGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted January 14 2006 - 08:47 AM

Here is a pic of my cork layout and turning table. It is located off the right end of my wrapping table. It has an 8" drill press with cork clamp (the one that TK shows in the RB photo section) for drilling out my cork rings to match Andy's mandrels.
I turn my cork off blank on the Grizzly Hobby Lathe, the yellow hood is connected to the big dust collector in the cabinet below. The lathe unit is mounted on it's own stand and can be removed and stored in the cabinet next to the collector.
Then I have the whole space for guide prep (notice the dremel hanging). It also has my Berkley line winder sitting in the left corner. Reamers and cork clamps are hanging off to the left on the wall. My cabinets and tables are not pro done I built them, and as you can see I'm in no way a cabinet maker.....LOL
The good part about the whole shop is that everything in it is white (walls, floor, ceiling, and table tops), with no less than 80w of florescent lighting over each table.

Posted Image

:)

#6 flechero

flechero

Hawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 10:36 AM

That's a great workstation!
"Grandpa shook his head and said "I can see it now, he'll be the first 5 year old in history that can back a trailer down the ramp."  

Anyone have a booster seat to fit a GMC pickup?  

#7 Upnorth

Upnorth

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted January 14 2006 - 02:56 PM

Great setup Reemech.  Mine is nothing worth taking a picture of.  I have a decent workbench in the garage, but I can only tie out there in the summer.  In the winter it is into the spare room on a old table.  I use an Amtak wrapper and a Delta Midi lathe for cork.