• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Locationtallahassee, florida
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake seminole

Posted August 29 2014 - 11:09 AM

I have an H2O hollow body, I just haven't learned to walk it properly. I started getting the hang of it and it shanked itself. Now it just tends to bob along.

Just because its not walking, doesn't mean it won't work. I "bob along" an h2o frog all the time and do just fine with it!
Believe!
  • Demonic Forrest likes this
hahaha  yeah , thats right.

#17 Demonic Forrest

Demonic Forrest

Your eyes are swallowing me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • My PB:Between 2-3 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Tennessee River, Wheeler Dam.

Posted August 29 2014 - 11:17 AM

Just because its not walking, doesn't mean it won't work. I "bob along" an h2o frog all the time and do just fine with it!
Believe!

I'll continue bobbing it then. Lol still haven't gotten used to hooking fish with it yet either.

I would drag myself through a mile of broken glass just to watch you cease to exist.

#18 kikstand454

kikstand454

someone take me fishing!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 11:42 AM

The key (for me) with the frog bite .....or any topwater bite really, is to reel when you see the explosion. Make this become your topwater habit. Most people set the hook and pull the bait right out their mouths. If you see "boom" and your first instinct is to reel- you will catch WAY more topwater fish. Do it! Practice it. Make it habit.

I have made it a habit of smiling at the bite then reeling down into the fish for a hook set. Its keeps things relaxed. I fish a LOT of topwater though for inshore fish, and a topwater hit is "normal" to me now. Still super exciting. ....but normal. When I'm working a topwater I EXPECT to get bit. Its a different mindset.

#19 Demonic Forrest

Demonic Forrest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted August 29 2014 - 12:03 PM

The key (for me) with the frog bite .....or any topwater bite really, is to reel when you see the explosion. Make this become your topwater habit. Most people set the hook and pull the bait right out their mouths. If you see "boom" and your first instinct is to reel- you will catch WAY more topwater fish. Do it! Practice it. Make it habit.

I have made it a habit of smiling at the bite then reeling down into the fish for a hook set. Its keeps things relaxed. I fish a LOT of topwater though for inshore fish, and a topwater hit is "normal" to me now. Still super exciting. ....but normal. When I'm working a topwater I EXPECT to get bit. Its a different mindset.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I used to do that actually, I would reel up the slack and wait a second. I kept hearing people say to set the hook as soon as you feel a bite so I went back to doing that.

• kikstand454 likes this

I would drag myself through a mile of broken glass just to watch you cease to exist.

#20 kikstand454

kikstand454

someone take me fishing!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah- don't necessarily wait a second. ... jut reel down and if you feel the fish- THEN set the hook. The problem with swinging on the strike is not only do you pull the bait away from the fish, but if the fish missed- you have now jerked the bait out of the strike zone! If you just reel you give the fish time to inhale the lure, and if its a miss .... then your lure is still right there where it was and you can call that fish back up!

#21 Basser126

Basser126

Fry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hey I got a question, I know when your rod has a lure weight limit but I'm throwing a 3/8oz buzz bait when my rod is 3/4oz limit. Should I be ok?

#22 Demonic Forrest

Demonic Forrest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted August 30 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hey I got a question, I know when your rod has a lure weight limit but I'm throwing a 3/8oz buzz bait when my rod is 3/4oz limit. Should I be ok?

I don't take the weight suggestions seriously. I use every weight on mine and its a Heavy. Plus 3/8 is less than 3/4 anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users