Line

• Super User

Hard or soft Jerk baits I prefer FC like 10 to 12 lb Sunline Super Sniper, most crank baits 10 to 12 lb Berkley Big Game.

Tom

Most pros would answer 8-12lb. fluorocarbon and tell you that the 'low stretch' abbrasion resistance and the fact that it sinks are the reasons you should.  Fluorocarbon stretches, monos like Big Game and Original Stren are just as abbrasion resistant and the fact that fluoro sinks has no bearing on the performance of your crankbaits.  It is, however, a thinner line by pound test than most monos.  I don't think the benefits over a quality mono are worth the expense, especially because I re-tie frequently when cranking and a bulk spool of Trilene or Stren goes a long way.

I use 10lb. Stren and tried out some Yo-Zuri Hybrid last season with good results.  I'll go a little heavier when fishing rip-rap and a little lighter when I need the benefit of a little extra depth.

• Like 1

• Super User

Getting my basic training in the 1950's I learned how to cast, set the hook and land fish with the equipment of the day. I guess my muscle memory and reaction has become part of my fishing "fiber", I have no problem with modern equipment, if anything there is a big improvement.  I'm a braid and leader user, all purpose non technique specific spinning gear and I don't use different gear for different lure types, I just automatically react without thought.  I don't favor one brand of braid over another.  I've loaded up 2 reels 1 for fresh and 1 for salt with US Braid, this inexpensive braid is working really nice.

I'm a huge fan of sunline sniper floro for treble hook baits. 12lb for jerkbaits and mid diving cranks and 16lb for squarebills and deep cranks. I don't understand why someone would throw a squarebill on anything less than 12lb. When I'm throwing a squarebill. It's gonna be around laud owns, trees, grass, ect.

• 2 weeks later...