Looking To Get A New Trolling Motor For Lowes Stinger 175

• Super User

I would go ahead and get the 52" simply for the fact that I would rather have too much and not need it than need it and not have it.

Always get the longest shaft & most thrust ;)

• Super User

Measure from the deck of your boat to the water line and add 12 inches. Having a shaft that is too long and the head of the motor will set up so high that it can interfere with your fishing. At least, I don't like it when the motor sets up too high.

• Global Moderator

I had a 45 on my 16' Lowe and it was never too short. I had a 52 for awhile, I can't count the number of times that thing got in the way when casting, retrieving, or setting the hook. 

• Like 2

• Super User

Definitely go with the 45" shaft. 52 will be too long for your application. A lot of of the mod v's like yours even run a 42" so the 45" will be plenty for what you've got. 

That's a lot of power for an aluminum boat that size! I have 17' starcraft that is similar in design and my 55# motorguide x3 is more than enough motor, even in strong current on the river.

Anyway, I have a 36" shaft on mine.

• Super User

Don't for a moment think that is too much power.   The rule for trolling motors on boats is to buy the biggest one that you can afford that will fit.  If you have room in your battery storage area for another battery, go with the 101 36 volt.  You will not regret it.  p.s.  Should you do this you will probably also need a 4 bank on board charger.   If you go to a 36 volt system, you have to be able to charge all 3 batteries the same at the same time.

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the Fortrex.

• Like 1

I disagree with that logic. One of the advantages of an aluminum boat like the OPs is light weight. He could get satisfactory power from a 12 volt motor and you're suggesting he add two more batteries. That's like having another person onboard all the time not to mention the additional expense of the 36v motor, two more batteries, and bigger charger.

• Global Moderator

I disagree with that logic. One of the advantages of an aluminum boat like the OPs is light weight. He could get satisfactory power from a 12 volt motor and you're suggesting he add two more batteries. That's like having another person onboard all the time not to mention the additional expense of the 36v motor, two more batteries, and bigger charger.

Depends on where you're fishing if you can get enough power from a 12V. I had a 55lb Maxxum on my 16' Roughneck, which is even lighter and  smaller than the OP's boat. It's always windy around here so I'm on the trolling motor almost nonstop and more often than not, my batteries were dead by the end the day. Throw in some current on the river or power plant lakes and I might not make it to lunch time. I couldn't have been happier when I upgraded to the 24V system so I could fish all day without losing power. 

I'm always going longest shaft I can rather have more than not enough in waves... Longer the better unless you're a fair weather fisherman... Lol

Everyone I know runs motor guide ... I'm going to try a minnkota I have a motor guide now and it's a good motor, but I would like to have the new ulterra, I fish by myself and with small kids so I launch by myself a lot... And I like the anchor feature for crappie fishing and with kids that nice to not lose the spot while heling them

I don't care what boat you have, minimum trolling motor I would have anymore would be 80#! No more messing with the wind or fighting ! Go were you want when you want!

Bluebasser86

I had a 46# MG ON MY BCB PII, 19'.... I was 12v I had 2 batt wired up in series and now granted I had group 27 w/ 200 min reserve on main and 140 on second with a total 275 mah. So if your gonna run 12v just run two large batteries with plenty of output and make sure you have good heavy wiring, I choose to run stereo power and ground in 2 ga or 1/0 as main from batt to motor plug. And then just be sure you have good clean connections.

• Super User

A Lowe Stinger 175 isn't that light of a boat.  I own a Lowe WF 180 (2002), and my boat is a tank, by aluminum boat standards.  I smack into and drive over stumps all the time.  That is just a function of the lakes that I mostly fish in.  My boat isn't that much lighter than fiberglass boats of a comparable size.  I don't think that the newer Stinger 175 is that much lighter.

I run an 70-something pound thrust Minn-Kota Maxxum and if I had the room in the compartment to put another battery in it I would.

I think the rule of buying the biggest trolling motor that you can afford that will fit is a good rule.  It is better to have the power and not need it than it is to not have it.

When it comes to trolling motor power, I am a big fan of more power = better.