Need Real Time Usage Between Stainless Steel Guides And Alum Oxide Feedback

i dont have anymore money, just got a gx2 rod and yes i use braid to stop losing lures in thickets. what i pose is....do you or have you owned recent rods with stainlless guides or eyelets and how do or will they hold up to lmbs?i heard 10 yrs ago they were funky and cut braid. but why sell megamillions if the guides aren't good enough> of course its a gx2 ugly stik. any generous feedback in short will do.

Most stainless have inserts that are braid capable. I ruined 3 rods (all fenwick with ss guides) with braid about 4 years ago. It cut grooves in the guides.

rod is a new ugly stik 6 .6  gx2 not older models. i have never seen any braid saw into any guides on any rods in years ....and hope not. thank you for your hard earned time to respond peeples.

• Super User

VICKER'S HARDNESS SCALE:

Stainless Steel (SS): 200

Chrome: 800-1000

Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400

Alconite: 1700

Zirconia: 1400-1800

NANOLITE: 1800

SiC: 2200-2400

Baston a sponsor on BR posted this a few weeks ago.. Maybe this will help.

appreciate that but someone with ss guides can share if guides still smooth with braid.i cant rely on scale and why would a rod comp sell inferior products. ugly is not a bottom feeder company.

rod was 42 with tax.without reel' cant we get along.im poor. i other other 400.00 saltwater combos as well. aslo a btr12000d deepwater shimano combo.

I would not count on that rod having guides that would hold up to braid.  The good news is that the tip eye takes the lion's share of the abuse.  Doesn't take much to replace that one.

best answer yet. ugly tested braid for 30 days on the guides and no wear. i do agree if tip flys off its easy to put alum ox on it.fuji type repair kit 4 tips. let ya know in 30 days.if no wear...,it wont wear down.

• Super User

I have an inexpensive rod with ss guides and have been using PP on it many years, not one iota of a problem.  I do have an occasional guide rust out from saltwater use, not a big deal.  None of the guides on my rods have experienced any kind of grooving, may have a few cracked inserts and that's about it.  Weight differences in guides are not substantial enough to make a difference to me, I'm good to go with stock guides.

You are safe to use braided line on your rod. Stainless steel and guides in general come in range of quality. I've built a number of bass and trout rods with good SS ring guides. They are light, budget friendly and plenty durable including with braid use. It's actually the contaminants on braid that can cause problems. If you fish in silt, sand or slop conditions rinsing your line when you're done isn't a bad idea. 

your post is the only one this month that had logic and realism and i thank you for assuring me.

Its just the one that is telling you what you want to hear. Like i said i have ruined many fenwick eagle gt with braid. Also have an abu cardinal rod that had braid once and has grooves. All purchased within the last 5 years.

So shrug this off if you want, but I doubt your cheap ugly stik will stand up to braid usage. Good thing is they are dirt cheap and can be replaced every year.

• Like 1

GOT THE TRU SKINNY from the engineer at ugly and powerpro. ugly never in 2 yrs had a rod returned due to cut guides and powerpro said due to new roundness the older braid was abrasive but last 7 years has been good line. so the new stainless guides are better conditioned and tested well as the run braid through it for days to test them.

• Super User

From the official Ugly Stik website:

Ugly Tuff™ guides feature new one-piece stainless steel guides to eliminate insert pop outs and can be used with all types of line, including braid

Took me two seconds to get this info via the googles and the interwebz.  No need for any of the attiude tossed around in this thread.  Help, be helped, be grateful, or pass it by.

• Like 1