What's A Great Rod And Reel For Bass Fishing?

I need HELP picking out a rod and reel as a gift for my husband. He's a big time bass fisherman and he has tons of rods and reels. I'm Just trying to find something different and maybe a newer item on the market. Thanks in advance!!

• Super User

Does he have a swimbait rod? These are long rods made for big lures that look like real fish, usually 7'10" to 8' long rated for lures between 3-10 oz. TW has a Sale right today with 15-20% off. IRod gen2 makes a good swimbait rod for about $150'. Look at XL swimbait rod.

Tom

PS, Shimano Cardiff 300 series reel is a good with this rod, about $110.

If you don't know the exact types of techniques or styles he fishes, you will be better off just buying him a *** 200$ gift card.

To me there isn't much thought in a gift card! A gift has meaning, a gift card not so much. Just my opinion though! So just trying to see what all you guys use. Even if he has to return it. It's the thought that counts, right?!

I don't even know how to use this forum properly. So just bare with me lol

Ok so just forget the rod.

What's some great reels?

Daiwa tatula type r, 13 ***, any lews. I mean hard to say depends what it's used for not to mention it's a pretty open ended question

How about an Abu Garcia Revo Rocket.  I would be willing to bet he doesn't have one of those, and it would work with what he already has.  Another idea would be bass fishing t-shirts, you can't go wrong with that.

• Super User

Since my wife knows nothing about fishing and she knows nothing about how many stuff I have for fishing you can be 99.99% sure that whatever she purchases for me as a gift won´t be something I want or need.

I understand the desire of you giving him something in the physical form of a rod/ reel/ lure, my take ? give him a gift card so he can purchase whatever he wants.

• Like 1

Check his current rods and reels and see if he has an 8 foot heavy or XHeavy rod with a reel. If not go for that......It is a specific set up for large swimbaits. As far as which brand for rod and reel, I'll defer to all you swimbaiters here.... 

I would get him a shimano metanium xg from japan lure shop for about $300 shipped or if you don't want to spend that much get him a daiwa alphas sv for $200.  You need to find out if he uses right or left handed bait caster  reels.  You'll impress him for sure, I know I'd be.

• Super User

The top of the line bass casting rod is G. Loomis NRX series, every bass angler wants this rod.

The NRX 853C JWR G is 7'1" medium heavy jig & worm rod, green series, this is wonderful all around bass rod. Price $545.

TW is Tackle Wharehouse; look online, brands "G" for G. Loomis, casting rods.

Look under "I" for iRod, swimbait bait rod mentioned earlier.

Tom

• Like 1

If you are wanting to get him a reel I highly suggest getting him some higher end Shimano which can be found here: 

https://japanlureshop.com/reel/shimano/shimano-baitcasting.html?limit=all

My recomendation would be a Metanium XG in whatever hand retrieve your husband uses. This would be a gift that would be leaving in bass fisherman jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas.

He may enjoy a gift card/trip to the tackle shop and a day on the water with his wife more than giving him something random if you don't know what he wants.  Knowing me, I'd probably shamelessly return it for something else.  Let him pick out your attire and spend a day on the water with him, if you can stay out of his hair.  For example, my wife LOVES running.  I usually watch the kids, but she LOVES if I take the time to go running/racing with her.

• Global Moderator

READ THIS GIRLS

any G Loomis rod especially the NRX series with any top Shimano reel.  you can't loose unless he already has 1

You could also get  some nice swimbaits like Huddelston or maybe an assortment of some Megabass lures.they are a lot less personal then buying a rod and reel. this is a very personal thing for a fisherman.

Would you want him to be picking out your clothes at the mall? no. but if he bought a nice accessory you would be petty happy.