CybrSlydr

Does my thinking track?

8 posts in this topic

So I've read that in the winter, jerkbaits can be that go-to lure for finding those cold fish.  Awesome - so I've been thinking about a jerkbait.

But then I got thinking - since it's switched to winter here in SE Ohio, we've been looking more at rivers and such for fishing.  Reason being is flowing water, like rivers, doesn't ice over so we can still fish it.

But jerkbaits don't work in flowing water, do they?  Specifically the suspending kind?  The flowing water kinda negates that point, correct?

Makes it a little harder to keep the bait down but no, it doesn't negate the usefulness of the technique.  You should be concentrating on eddies and other quiet water for bass anyway.

6 people like this

During the winter, you should be looking for water with minimal current so the jerkbaits or any other bait, shouldn't be effected.

5 people like this

I fish rivers with jerkbaits and they are awesome in moving water. As Scott F pointed out, when you have cold water you need to  focus on deep holes with slow moving current, these are wintering holes and the fish will stack up.

1 person likes this

Like @Scott F said, you should be looking for deeper, slacker water in the winter. When it does warm up though and fish start becoming more current oriented, suspending jerkbaits will absolutely not work in current whatsoever! I would not even try to throw them. ;)river smallies.jpgIMAG0557.jpgIMAG0560.jpg5770.jpegIMAG0591.jpg13291.jpegIMAG0085.jpgIMAG0092.jpg

Like I said....not worth it, wouldn't even bring them with for a river trip. 

3 people like this

Jerkbaits should still work in moving water, but, like everyone is saying, focus on slower moving water. That water is usually warmer

1 person likes this

Moving water will actually work the bait for you a little bit. I fish them in outlet current and once it gets to the right depth I don't have to so much but watch for a bite.

1 person likes this

Ok, thanks for the input folks! :)

I think I'm going to pick up a Rapala X-Rap.