BrianMRetter

Shimano Curado 200I Question

35 posts in this topic

This Spring I'll be buying my first baitcaster reel & have heard alot of good reviews about the Shimano Curado 200I. Would this be a decent general purpose reel? I plan on buying 2 for 2 different rods & using them for just about everything but finesse lures. Is this a decent baitcaster to start with?

Yes, it's a shimano.

2 people like this

That's a solid reel.  I assume you're just getting started with casting gear?

1 person likes this

Okay thanks. Yes this will be my first baitcaster

Here's a nice video to get you started right:

2 people like this

Great reel 

Take a look at the 70 as well. If you don't need the line capacity it could be a viable option. 

2 hours ago, J Francho said:

Here's a nice video to get you started right:

Thanks! :)

1 person likes this

Unless you're getting a deal on the curado I'd go with the citica I. It's the same reel. 

45 minutes ago, Sammies77 said:

Unless you're getting a deal on the curado I'd go with the citica I. It's the same reel. 

Not really, unless you consider more and better quality bearings, a better spool, X-ship, different gears, and gear ratios as "the same."  Both are good reels, but I'd go with the Curado.  The upgrades are worth the $30 premium.

14 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Not really, unless you consider more and better quality bearings, a better spool, X-ship, different gears, and gear ratios as "the same."  Both are good reels, but I'd go with the Curado.  The upgrades are worth the $30 premium.

Just out of curiosity, because I own 4 I series curados and am thinking of adding a couple of citicas....what is different about the gears? I was under the assumption that the main difference between the two are bearings, star drag and the spool. I could be wrong though. 

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but Ive got to know before I spent that money on the citicas!!!

43 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Better spool? Nope, has the same exact spool just different color anodizing. More bearings? Nope, has the same number of bearings. X-ship? Both have it. Different gears? Nope, same gears.  

The ONLY  difference between the two reels besides color is the curado I has 3 arb bearings and 2 stainless bearings compared to the citica having all stainless bearings. And If you need the lower gear ratio they only offer that in the curado.

Edit: The drag knob may be different material but I never noticed and own both and have had both mine apart. 

17 minutes ago, Poolshark said:

Just out of curiosity, because I own 4 I series curados and am thinking of adding a couple of citicas....what is different about the gears? I was under the assumption that the main difference between the two are bearings, star drag and the spool. I could be wrong though. 

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but Ive got to know before I spent that money on the citicas!!!

Go with whichever you can get cheaper. Especially if you're going to upgrade the spool bearings anyway. 

Here's the boxes side by side. Same bearing count. Both have x ship. 

CU-201HG_2-1.jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-11-13-03-57-1-1.png

Sorry, you're not entirely correct there.

Citica - non-anodized spool, Curado - anodized.

Citica - 4 SS bearings, Curado - 3 ARB+ 2 SS (you forgot the one at the base of the crank shaft, making it X-Ship)

Citica - Hagene drag star, Curado - Al star

They still say the Citica has "X-Ship," but if they're going to make claims for durability, the crank shaft should be supported by a ball bearing, not a bush.  If you don't see any value in those features, then get the Citica.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, J Francho said:

Sorry, you're not entirely correct there.

Citica - non-anodized spool, Curado - anodized.

Citica - 4 SS bearings, Curado - 3 ARB+ 2 SS (you forgot the one at the base of the crank shaft, making it X-Ship)

Citica - Hagene drag star, Curado - Al star

They still say the Citica has "X-Ship," but if they're going to make claims for durability, the crank shaft should be supported by a ball bearing, not a bush.  If you don't see any value in those features, then get the Citica.

No offence but you're just wrong. 

If the citica spool isn't anodizing then what is it? 

Look at a schematic they both have bearings holding the base of the crankshaft. 

"Hagene" star drag vs aluminum?  Seriously lol!

Just now, Sammies77 said:

"Hagene" star drag vs aluminum?  Seriously lol!

Actually, I never gave much credit to this.  I don't thin they went to Al stars until the D series, and then went back for the G and the small form factor 50/51 E.  My Chronarch E reels have a plastic stars too, and it was never an issue.  Bought those bad boys for around $118 a piece - BPS trade in + mail in rebate.  Anyway, I've probably serviced over a 100 of those old reels, and I never ran across a broken star.

I have both reels and like them both, but shimano has done a very good job of marketing nearly identical reels at different price points. Nothing like the e series which had significant differences between the 2 models. 

I was told from the shimano support forum rep over on TT that the curado I has a double anodized spool. vs presumably a single layer of anodization on the citica. that and the star drag material is different and the differences in bearing type.

similar reels. I went with the curado because it is offered in the 5.5:1 gear ratio which the citica is not. I wanted a reel for big lipped cranks and large mepps spinners. the curado I is great.

8 minutes ago, Sammies77 said:

Look at a schematic they both have bearings holding the base of the crankshaft.

Okay

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/CITICA/CI200G6

Part # 3521 is listed as a "bushing."

1 minute ago, Hulkster said:

I was told from the shimano support forum rep over on TT that the curado I has a double anodized spool. vs presumably a single layer of anodization on the citica.

I would almost bet it's just lacquer over brass.  This keeps it from discoloring from contact with water.

9 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Okay now look at the schematics for the I series that we're talking about instead of the g series.:D

9 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Okay

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/CITICA/CI200G6

Part # 3521 is listed as a "bushing."

I would almost bet it's just lacquer over brass.  This keeps it from discoloring from contact with water.

What? Lacquer over brass??????? Seriously!??

10 minutes ago, Hulkster said:

I was told from the shimano support forum rep over on TT that the curado I has a double anodized spool. vs presumably a single layer of anodization on the citica. that and the star drag material is different and the differences in bearing type.

similar reels. I went with the curado because it is offered in the 5.5:1 gear ratio which the citica is not. I wanted a reel for big lipped cranks and large mepps spinners. the curado I is great.

Double anodizing is just a second color added hence the black over the gold on the curado. So technically the gold anodizing on the curado is still "single anodized". It's no more durable either way. 

9 minutes ago, Sammies77 said:

What? Lacquer over brass??????? Seriously! 

Yes.  It sounds super sketchy, but it's actually super durable, and less expensive a process than anodizing.  I also play drums, any high end cymbals have a lacquer clear coat.  This is so you can easily clean them, and they don't get that old, tarnished look.  It's very durable, and the only way to remove it is with something abrasive.  I actually wish Megabass put it on the exposed aluminum frames of the Alphas ITO.  Polishing them was a pain, and first trip out, water stains...

2 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Yes.  It sounds super sketchy, but it's actually super durable, and less expensive a process than anodizing.  I also play drums, any high end cymbals have a lacquer clear coat.  This is so you can easily clean them, and they don't get that old, tarnished look.  It's very durable, and the only way to remove it is with something abrasive.  I actually wish Megabass put it on the exposed aluminum frames of the Alphas ITO.  Polishing them was a pain, and first trip out, water stains...

So.... you're saying the citica has a brass spool? 

14 minutes ago, Sammies77 said:

Okay now look at the schematics for the I series that we're talking about instead of the g series.:D

That is the I series.

This is the G- Series.  Both use the same part (as did some previous generations.)

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_Citica_CI200G5_Schematic.pdf

2 minutes ago, Sammies77 said:

So.... you're saying the citica has a brass spool? 

No idea what it is.  Cymbals are actually bronze. Lacquer has been used to protect various metal and alloys forever.

6 minutes ago, J Francho said:

That is the I series.

This is the G- Series.  Both use the same part (as did some previous generations.)

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_Citica_CI200G5_Schematic.pdf

No actually it's not. First schematic you posted is the g series. 

Shimano doesn't have the schematic listed for the citica I on thier site. Want to take a guess as to why?