Mj89

Budget reels

41 posts in this topic

What baitcaster would you choose for 100 or under for general purpose and why? 

Daiwa tatula ct because it's an aluminum frame, 8 bearing, 90mm swept handle, 13.2lb drag and mostly because it's a daiwa. 

4 people like this

Have heard great things about Diawa reels. Have never tried one though

1 person likes this

Slightly over 100 bucks, but you can a NIB Lews Tournament MB on the auction site for around $108. Retails for $139. I have the first generation Tournament Pro and the MB performs just as well. 

6 minutes ago, Boogey Man said:

Slightly over 100 bucks, but you can a NIB Lews Tournament MB on the auction site for around $108. Retails for $139. I have the first generation Tournament Pro and the MB performs just as well. 

I'm a die-hard daiwa/shimano fan, but this reel looks good too.  I started out with lews years ago and liked them, but sold everything and went daiwa/shimano and haven't looked back.  Lews does pack a lot of features into their reels and out of the box are amazing values.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Yudo1 said:

I'm a die-hard daiwa/shimano fan, but this reel looks good too.  I started out with lews years ago and liked them, but sold everything and went daiwa/shimano and haven't looked back.  Lews does pack a lot of features into their reels and out of the box are amazing values.

Probably one of the best palming reels I've used, and casts light baits surprisingly well. 

Shimano caenan or casitas. I have the older caenan and it is a great reel cast light baits easy smooth reel. I also have a casitas and love it cast great no backlashes both are great reels and my recommendations. You will get a lot of opinions on this topic. I can only recommend on what I know works for me.

If your budget is $100 there are many good reels in that price range. My preference is the Daiwa Tatula CT.

I have sold a bunch of BPS reels, Lews reels and several Shimanos and replaced them with 1 Daiwa Exceler, 2 Tatula CTs and 4 Tatula Type Rs. i enjoy using everyone.  I still have 6 more reels to swap out yet.

If you really do not want to spend $100 the Exceler is a very nice reel. It retails for $100 but is on sale for $60.  As I said, it is a nice reel. I prefer the Tatula CT definitely, but the Exceler works fine.  The Exceler does not have the T wing though and I think that is a disadvantage.

I have had very good luck with the Daiwa Exceler, and Abu Black/Silver/Pro Max series of reels. 

My first choice is the Exceler because of the aluminum frame, but the Max series Abu reels have held up just fine despite being graphite/composite frames. I have several that have seen 4 seasons of hard use and are no worse for the wear.

2 people like this

Lews Tournament MB.   I have a couple of them and they are fantastic.  The palm really well and I've thrown a wide variety of lures on them with no issues.  Easy to adjust and dial in.  I also have a Speed Spool LFS (can be had for about $80 on eBay) that I really like for the price.

Can't comment on the Daiwa's but they seem to be really popular.  One of the Tatula models will probably be my next reel.

Daiwa tatula can be had for around $90 and they are great reels. BPS Qualifier is not a bad reel either, but I prefer the Tatula. Plus if you want to upgrade the Tatula there are plenty of aftermarket pieces for it.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ww2farmer said:

I have had very good luck with the Daiwa Exceler, and Abu Black/Silver/Pro Max series of reels. 

My first choice is the Exceler because of the aluminum frame, but the Max series Abu reels have held up just fine despite being graphite/composite frames. I have several that have seen 4 seasons of hard use and are no worse for the wear.

Times 2 the Abu Max reels are great budget reels. I have a couple of each. You can get combos for under $100 too. I have yet to have an issue with these reels. Great brakes, drag, and feel IMO. 

I have a Lews Speed Spool LFS and I really like it. It has a few seasons under it's belt now and after cleaning it it still performs better than it did out of box. 

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely have to check these reels out

I have had the pro qualifiers (Loved them) and I have 2 of the older lews tourney MG's that are sweet too.  If I had to pick one around that price I would probably go with the best deal you can find on anything in the tatula line.  I have a type R that is currently my favorite reel (Although I just got 2 zillions so I am guessing they will take the cake) that I got used for like 80 bucks or something.

NIB the Tatula or BPS pro qualifier are hard to beat bang for the buck wise 

6 people like this

5 hours ago, Stuckinthetrees said:

Abu Garcia Revo S  online price is $100 they cast great.  

X2

5 hours ago, ww2farmer said:

My silver max took a lot of abuse over 3 years and was still going strong until I took it apart to clean it.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Mj89 said:

What baitcaster would you choose for 100 or under for general purpose and why? 

A BPS Carbonlite when it goes on clearance.  Because of all the features for under $100 you won't find in other reels.  Dual braking, carbon drag, Duralumin shaft and gears.  

In the $100 range I would get a Tatula CT, no question.

Last year I bought two Silver Max casting combos for $50 each at Cabelas on sale. Two rods and two reels for $100. I was happy with that and they worked great for me.