bunsack27

Which rod to buy???

17 posts in this topic

So i got a bass pro gift card for christmas anf i racked up some serious reward points during my christmas shopping. I am in need of a rod for throwing light t-rigs, small topwaters and cranks. The rod options i have come down to are...

Bps carbonlite

Bps carbonlite micro guide

Duckett ghost

Lews custom speed stick

St Croix mojo bass

 

 

Want to know which is the best value.

Which ones to avoid.

 

Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:fishing-026:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with the a St. Croix Mojo Bass. Since they redesigned them, they're very nice rods for the price. For the techniques you're looking to use it for, I'd recommend a medium power fast action. Pick the length based on what you're comfortable with using. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much weight are we talking for said baits? The lews custom rods are pretty dang good for the money. The 6'10" Medium Mod Fast would work as an all around rod, i have one and they are a little stronger than a normal medium Model:LSPS, or could look at the 7'2" MH Fast which is a very versatile rod as well Model:LFJR. Those 2 rods are both extremely light, i have put a daiwa pixy, abu mgx, lews magnesium and team lite on both rods and they are all very comfortable and well balanced. Both would work for the techniques stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mojo bass all day long brother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kstephes033 said:

How much weight are we talking for said baits? The lews custom rods are pretty dang good for the money. The 6'10" Medium Mod Fast would work as an all around rod, i have one and they are a little stronger than a normal medium Model:LSPS, or could look at the 7'2" MH Fast which is a very versatile rod as well Model:LFJR. Those 2 rods are both extremely light, i have put a daiwa pixy, abu mgx, lews magnesium and team lite on both rods and they are all very comfortable and well balanced. Both would work for the techniques stated.

Anything lighter than 1 oz.  i will have it pired on a lews tournament pro speed spool with #12 fluoro.

 

3 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

:fishing-026:

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anything lighter than 1 oz makes a little difference. If you are usually using between 1/4-1/2 oz then those rods would work, if you are looking at using 3/8-3/4 range then i would look for a little heavier rod. I personally cant stand st croix, they are all very tip heavy from the triumph's all the way up to the legend xtreme's, and i cant stand a rod not being balanced. That being said some people dont really care, but if you do i would stay away from st croix. The Lews rods i would go with if you are looking at the heavier range of baits would be either the 7'2" Heavy fast LMGR model, or the 7'2" MH fast LMBR2 model. Those are both a little beefier rods and can handle the 1oz if needed, but range wise would be more in the 3/8-3/4 spot. I have also had the duckett ghost 7'3" MH and that would handle what you would be doing as well, although i was not a fan of the guides, the carbon lites are good in the sensitivity department for sure, i had a 7' M for finesse jigs and it worked well, but not sure how light they are or the balance being thats the only one i have used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kstephes033 said:

So anything lighter than 1 oz makes a little difference. If you are usually using between 1/4-1/2 oz then those rods would work, if you are looking at using 3/8-3/4 range then i would look for a little heavier rod. I personally cant stand st croix, they are all very tip heavy from the triumph's all the way up to the legend xtreme's, and i cant stand a rod not being balanced. That being said some people dont really care, but if you do i would stay away from st croix. The Lews rods i would go with if you are looking at the heavier range of baits would be either the 7'2" Heavy fast LMGR model, or the 7'2" MH fast LMBR2 model. Those are both a little beefier rods and can handle the 1oz if needed, but range wise would be more in the 3/8-3/4 spot. I have also had the duckett ghost 7'3" MH and that would handle what you would be doing as well, although i was not a fan of the guides, the carbon lites are good in the sensitivity department for sure, i had a 7' M for finesse jigs and it worked well, but not sure how light they are or the balance being thats the only one i have used. 

I have a dawai lexa 300 with a dawai inshore rod ( this rod is a beef stick). It says it can only cast 1oz lures(max) but i have caught fish on it with a 6 inch hudd. 

I have a st croix spinning and i am not a big fan also.

The rod would have to be 7' and under since im a shore fisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love Lew's custom speed sticks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM, bunsack27 said:

So i got a bass pro gift card for christmas anf i racked up some serious reward points during my christmas shopping. I am in need of a rod for throwing light t-rigs, small topwaters and cranks. The rod options i have come down to are...

Bps carbonlite

Bps carbonlite micro guide

Duckett ghost

Lews custom speed stick

St Croix mojo bass

 

 

Want to know which is the best value.

Which ones to avoid.

 

Thank you

 

Dobyns fury 703 good balanced  quality rod and it would be great at the techniches you are using.i have one paired with a Lews tournament pro and love it.they are 100$ . I bought mine from American legacy fishing sign up for their newsletter and take another 25 dollars off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say st.croix mojo bass but if you want to stay away from st.croix then I would go with something from dobyns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the St Croix Mojo.  I would also add that given the way your planning to use this rod I would stay away from anything with micro guides. These will rob you of feel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackhawk83 said:

Another vote for the St Croix Mojo.  I would also add that given the way your planning to use this rod I would stay away from anything with micro guides. These will rob you of feel

How do you think micro guides could reduce sensitivity?  I can't see this being possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

How do you think micro guides could reduce sensitivity?  I can't see this being possible.

Smaller guides=more contact with the guides=less vibration=less sensitivity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MassBassin508 said:

Smaller guides=more contact with the guides=less vibration=less sensitivity?

Maybe, but I think that more contact with the guides could if anything increase the sensitivity as the line is almost always in direct contact with the guide.  I could be wrong, or there might not be any difference at all (which is probably the case).  Time for the "measurebators" to come and figure it out.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MassBassin508 said:

Smaller guides=more contact with the guides=less vibration=less sensitivity?

Then I can also say bigger guides=more vibration absorbed by the guides=less sensitivity
Guide sizes dont make any difference in my experience, if they were made from the same material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think the more things touching the line the more things are absorbing that vibration.Maybe my thinking is incorrect

I would think the more things touching the line the more things are absorbing that vibration.Maybe my thinking is incorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing
    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing line

    fishing

    bass fish

    fishing
    Fishing Tips


    fish for bass
    fish