bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Bass Hound 10.2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Polish Fisher

Polish Fisher

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 07:56 PM

I recently purchased a used ( great shape ) Bass Hound 10.2 boat. It came with a 28lb thrust motor . Thinking about upgrading to a 55lb thrust or possibly higher but I know you get into 24volts with anything over 55lbs. Could I use the 28lb thrust on the bow and put the other on the transom ? How do you make the 28lb work on the bow ?? Since it is a transom trolling motor.  Is this boat to small to use on 500-600 acre electric only lakes ? Will a 55lb thrust move this boat ok ? Any advice appreciated .

#2 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

organic horticulture guru

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 09:32 PM

Yes you can use that configuration, you just unscrew the trolling motor head from the shaft and spin it 180 degrees and put screws back to use it on the bow.

That set up is fine for elec only lakes, just avoid the main lake in winds over 15 mph

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com
please visit www.castforkids.org

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right!

#3 PelicanRaider

PelicanRaider

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 06:42 PM

I have the 10 foot bass raider boat and my 55# TM is both my positioning motor and main propulsion.

The setup you are talking about sounds PERFECT.  If I can get my hands on a cheap 28# motor, that'd be nice to have that at the bow.

I have a stowaway 12v battery and get 1.5 hours of solid run time at max speed.

#4 PelicanRaider

PelicanRaider

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 06:47 PM

One more thing regarding using the boat in windy lakes.  I took my boat out Monday during a "lake wind advisory" (the inland version of a small craft advisory) and my TM went against the wind just fine.  The water was choppy with several white caps and my boat took on less than 1/2 cup of water.

Am I disagreeing with what the above poster said about avoiding lakes with 15 mph winds?  Absolutely not, the advice is certainly good.  However, if you get out there and the winds are a little higher than forecast, don't automatically turn the truck around and go home either :o

#5 Polish Fisher

Polish Fisher

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Raider, I am thinking my boat should be pretty stable due to the depth and width. Any need to put a bilge pump in it. I have been thinking about it . Do you ever use an anchor on your boat ?

#6 VA BassHound

VA BassHound

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 08:41 PM

I have a bass hound 10.2 with the exact motor configuration that you have.  My 28lb minn kota endura is on the bow and 55lb minn kota on the transom.  I did exactly what low budget hooker suggested and unscrewed the trolling motor head from the shaft and spun it 180 degrees.  I have a big foot switch to turn the 55 off and on, and use the 28 to steer.  I also have a deep cycle battery for each.  I get a top speed of 4.2mph on my gps with both wide open.  This boat is not to small for 500-600 acre lakes.  I have had mine on lakes up to 845 acres.  No doubt that with more wind you will be on the motors quite a bit since the boat is so light.  The only time I have ever needed a pump was when I got caught in a thunderstorm.  I ended up pulling it up on the bank and pulled the drain plug after the storm passed.

#7 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

• 11,467 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 09:06 PM

Am I disagreeing with what the above poster said about avoiding lakes with 15 mph winds?  Absolutely not

Put that boat in the middle of a 500-600 acre, wide open lake in a 20 mph wind and you are asking for trouble.

It's not the smartest thing to do in a 12 foot jon boat let alone a 10 ft plastic pontoon with zero engineering given to taking a wave.

In regards to power, a 55 will push you through a 20 mph wind, no problem, with a fresh batt, but the hull you are sitting on isn't designed to be in that arena.  

If you limit your trip to protected coves and such, that's another story, I'm talking about open water.

My replies are based on doing something and doing it safely.  Can you get across the lake in a 25-30 mph wind in a 10 ft w/ 55?  Sure,...but you're not the brightest bulb if you've put yourself in that position to begin with.

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com

#8 MA1232

MA1232

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hi BassHound,

If you only one TM, where is the best place to put the TM?

I can see more control if you put it on the bow.

Do you loss a lot of speed if you mount it on the bow vs the stern?

I have a bass hound 10.2 with the exact motor configuration that you have.  My 28lb minn kota endura is on the bow and 55lb minn kota on the transom.  I did exactly what low budget hooker suggested and unscrewed the trolling motor head from the shaft and spun it 180 degrees.  I have a big foot switch to turn the 55 off and on, and use the 28 to steer.  I also have a deep cycle battery for each.  I get a top speed of 4.2mph on my gps with both wide open.  This boat is not to small for 500-600 acre lakes.  I have had mine on lakes up to 845 acres.  No doubt that with more wind you will be on the motors quite a bit since the boat is so light.  The only time I have ever needed a pump was when I got caught in a thunderstorm.  I ended up pulling it up on the bank and pulled the drain plug after the storm passed.

#9 Polish Fisher

Polish Fisher

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 09:11 PM

VA, Have you ever put a small outboard on your basshound ??  There are a couple of small lakes around here that will allow outboards under 10 hp . I think it is rated for 7 hp.  Would like to see how it would ride with a small motor.

#10 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

• 11,467 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 09:13 PM

VA, Have you ever put a small outboard on your basshound ??  There are a couple of small lakes around here that will allow outboards under 10 hp . I think it is rated for 7 hp.  Would like to see how it would ride with a small motor.

Depends if the tank is incorporated in the engine motor housing or in a separate can.  If it's a separate can, you have to store that somewhere and if you are a smoker, that's another BIG hazard.  

If there is a fuel reservoir built into the housing, it takes up no additional room unless you have to tilt it up.

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com

#11 VA BassHound

VA BassHound

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 07:24 AM

Polish Fisher, I have not put a small outboard on my basshound yet, but eventually I would like to.  There is a space specifically designed for a fuel tank on the basshound, I use this space for the battery that runs my transom mounted trolling motor.   The best advantage of have two trolling motors is they act as a ruder.  If you have a tm motor on the bow and not the stern, the back end of the boat wants to come around.  MA1232, if I only had one trolling motor, I would have it on the bow.  I find it much easier to control the boat and fish with it mounted there as long as you put some weight in the back of the boat to keep the back from coming around. I also believe you get more speed with it on the bow.

#12 MA1232

MA1232

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks VA!

I don't have a spot in the bow to mount the TM but I will do a DIY like the  "Jon Boat Trolling Motor Bracket" at the Calela's website.  Sorry, I still can't post link yet.  

Sang

#13 PelicanRaider

PelicanRaider

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 11:49 AM

Are you serious VA?  You really think you get more speed with the TM on the bow?  My boat is technically designed to have it at the bow...I've just always preferred a Transom mount.

Interesting...I might try that and see how it works!

#14 VA BassHound

VA BassHound

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 01:13 PM

Pelican Raider, I believe that the extra speed comes with the efficiency you gain.   This increase in maneuvering ability is due to the fact that bow-mounts "pull" your boat through the water, in comparison to a transom "pushing.  I think you will find you spend less time correcting with the trolling motor on the bow.  

#15 Just Add Water

Just Add Water

Fishing Southern Ill.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 09:04 PM

Polish Fisher
I have a Pelican Rhino 10'3".
The trolling motor Is a 36 lbs Hand control, God for give you if a 7 to 14mph wind blow's. You we spend all of your time controling the boat and NOT fishing.
GOOG LUCK