bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

10' jon boat vs. bass raider 8'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 nashua fisherman

nashua fisherman

chronic spinnerbaiter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted October 08 2009 - 07:38 PM

i noticed neither one of these is very popular here, but i dont have a choice. my condo acc is going to fine me for having my 12' jon. i need something i can fit in my shed and load ON my car.

which one is more stable?

i like the fact that i could mount a foot controled trolling motor on a jon, but the bass raider only weights 85#'s with seats. most of the places i fish are under 100 acres. i had more than enough room on my 12'. i know i can get a used jon for less than the raider. the jons im looking at are welded with a 36" botom. i like how high up you sit in the raider.

i would apreciate any advise from people who have owned or used either or both. pro's and con's please. thanks in advance.

#2 done

done

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:07 AM

I like the jon. They are not too heavy and if you dont like it, it is easy to mod it to your needs. Just my personal pref though. sux you have to lose your old one though.

#3 TopDog

TopDog

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:41 AM

I have both! While The raider might be a little more stable because of its design, the jon will last longer. The plastic just ends up cracking over time. After a long day on the water you will notice it is allot heavier to load back up. I have seen this on a few of them.

#4 Shane J

Shane J

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 06:17 AM

I have a 10' jon that works perfect for me to hit the little ponds I fish regularly. Trolling motor, battery, gear, and myself in it, and I can do somersaults all over the boat if I want.

www.ragetail.com

#5 wagn

wagn

Fish first, work later

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 11:48 AM

I've owned both.

Currently I still have the bass raider. I love that little boat. Stable, simple and fun to fish out of.

I leave it at my parents river and can troll all over the place with it if I need a quick fishing fix and don't feel like taking my real boat out.
Smallie PB- 6lbs 2oz = 77% of state record
LM PB- 7 lbs 1oz = 67% of state record

#6 ArcticCat500

ArcticCat500

Goodfella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 06:57 PM

I've owned both.

Currently I still have the bass raider. I love that little boat. Stable, simple and fun to fish out of.

I leave it at my parents river and can troll all over the place with it if I need a quick fishing fix and don't feel like taking my real boat out.

Anything that floats is a boat or a craft, I've fished off a Raider for years, this a great lil rig for what it's worth. I think Id rather have the Raider other then a jon, the Raider has more stability then a jon and will last just as long if properly taken care of. And yes I've owned both and my pick is Raider.
Never Forget 9/11/01

#7 done

done

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 08:59 AM

I've owned both.

Anything that floats is a boat or a craft, I've fished off a Raider for years, this a great lil rig for what it's worth. I think Id rather have the Raider other then a jon, the Raider has more stability then a jon and will last just as long if properly taken care of. And yes I've owned both and my pick is Raider.

Here's something might help him out...how much wake can the bass raiders take? I should say, what would be the threshold that you would say safe/unsafe comes at with them?

I had a 1436 jon, I added a bilge to it, and really felt comfortable in waves up to 3 ft. 4 was pushing it. That being said it was RARE I ever had a wave come over the side.

#8 nashua fisherman

nashua fisherman

chronic spinnerbaiter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 09:17 AM

well, just sold mt boat. :'( i dont have enough money to buy a raider right now so im going to check out a welded 10' jon this afternoon. figures, today weather is perfect for fishing. wish me luck.

#9 ArcticCat500

ArcticCat500

Goodfella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 09:37 AM

I've owned both.

Here's something might help him out...how much wake can the bass raiders take? I should say, what would be the threshold that you would say safe/unsafe comes at with them?

I had a 1436 jon, I added a bilge to it, and really felt comfortable in waves up to 3 ft. 4 was pushing it. That being said it was RARE I ever had a wave come over the side.

Im thinking about a 3 or 4ft wave, and if you ask me that would swamp a jonboat, I've been in some pretty choppy stuff. I grew up in the ocean and 3 and 4ft waves may not sound like much but add a small 14ft boat to that mix and it'll get dang hairy ina hurry.
Never Forget 9/11/01

#10 wagn

wagn

Fish first, work later

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 09:59 AM

I've owned both.

Just to clear things up. I wasn't trying to knock the bass raider. It's just not my primary ride. I still think it's a great boat for what it does, but it's not as versatile as my Tracker
Smallie PB- 6lbs 2oz = 77% of state record
LM PB- 7 lbs 1oz = 67% of state record

#11 ArcticCat500

ArcticCat500

Goodfella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 11:37 AM

I agree with you wagn, they are great lil rigs for what they are and do but will never take the place of a larger boat..
Never Forget 9/11/01

#12 nashua fisherman

nashua fisherman

chronic spinnerbaiter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 01:54 PM

i couldnt wait to get the raider so i went out and bought a 10' grumman jon. all the seams are welded. the guy painted it over the weekend and gave me the leftover paint. theres no cracks or repairs anywhere. the transom is real solid. i need to buy new seat brackets to mount my seats. paid $200. got the same for mine and this ones in way better shape.

thanks for everyones input. figures its crazy windy outside now.

Attached Thumbnails

• new_boat_004.JPG
  • new_boat_006.JPG

#13 ArcticCat500

ArcticCat500

Goodfella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 02:19 PM

looks good, good luck n be safe ;)
Never Forget 9/11/01

#14 nashua fisherman

nashua fisherman

chronic spinnerbaiter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 02:28 PM

thank you

#15 looking4structure

looking4structure

smashing big sal bass on soft plastics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 04:46 AM

Nice looking boat
Nothing like the sound of braid screaming as you winch one out of heavy cover, come on.