bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Recessed Foot Control - trolling Motor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 blazin461

blazin461

Cross his eyes, jerk 'em aboard

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 10:27 AM

I am not sure what manufacturer first came up with this concept, but the first one I saw was on a Triton a few years ago. I have not had the opportunity to fish with a set up like this but after I get some feedback from guys who have a recessed foot control on their boats for the trolling motor, I may consider trying to retro fit one in my Ranger.........or at least see "IF" it can be done. From what I understand, it is supposed to allow for better balance while fishing in rough water, easier on your back, etc. How many guys like the recessed foot control vs don't like it? From experience what are the bennefits and the drawbacks? I also understand that you can get a drop-in-piece that will allow you to surface mount the foot control (as traditional) or recess it for having both options?
Ranger Boat, Mercury,G-loomis Rods Shimano Reels

#2 bassdocktor

bassdocktor

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 10:59 AM

I currently have a Triton with it and had a boat that did not have the recess. Both my dad and I much prefer the recess. Being recessed it obviously isn't sticking up and in the way. It is definitely easier on the body since it is pretty close to the floor level where you normally have your feet. It is easy to control in the waves because of balance.

The biggest draw back I see is that you really only have one location to mount the trolling motor and it really can't be moved.
I haven't fished out of other bass boats to know it they have to spot to mout the seat poles but that could also present a problem. If you can't move the TM it may position it in an akward position.

Hope this helps,
bassdocktor

#3 FlyRod

FlyRod

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 11:48 AM

I've fished with and without 'em...Findings? They are generally a great improvement. Even when sitting, if the distance between the seat and pedal is right, they are an ankle-saving blessing. Standing, they take a lot of wear and tear off the non-pedal foot.
There's one "improvement" that might be a further blessing. That would be a longer tray engineered so that the pedal can be adjusted, then LOCKED in position, to accommodate the long, the short, and the tall. Perhaps mounted on a recessed rail.

FR

#4 cajun1977.

cajun1977.

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 12:33 PM

ive also used both  and the only thing to consider about it is you gotta work up the courage to cut your boat but ive seen it done and its very simple  ive ordered one from comfortroll.com         good luck
Posted Image

NANC

#5 blazin461

blazin461

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 01:40 PM

I wonder if my local dealer or any dealer will take on the task or liability?

#6 cajun1977.

cajun1977.

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 05:04 PM

its actually a simple process   each kit includes the template    id suggest save yourself some money and do it yourself    its a little scary to start it but well worth it  as ive said im gettin one and ive also helped a buddy do his         im also sending you a instant message
Posted Image

NANC

#7 blazin461

blazin461

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 05:51 PM

There's also that gut feeling of, "What if I cut it in, install it and then realize I don't like it?" You can't just pull it out and reverse it. How would you fill the hole?

#8 cajun1977.

cajun1977.

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 07:41 PM

i wouldnt worry about that youll love it  
Posted Image

NANC

#9 Way2slow

Way2slow

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 08:00 PM

If you install one, I think they look much better if you plan ahead just a little before cutting the hole. Measure your hole, cut the carpet with a razor knife, use a good scraper to remove that piece so as not to damage it, marking it so you will know what edge was to the front, then go around the edge of opening and loosen it inward outward about 3/4" - 1" (enough to get the rim of the recess in), cut the corners inward about the same amount. Drop and fasten the recess in and then glue the carpet back down over the rim to hide it and the screws. Looks much better than the rim and screws exposed on top of the carpet.

Also BEWARE most of the time it also requires cutting part of front storage box out and will require running a drain hose so that it doesn,t drain into a storage box.

If you save the piece of carpet you remove, you can remove the recess if you don't like it, cut you a piece of aluminum approx 1/8" thick the size of the recess flanges, screw it down over the hole with recessed screws and glue that piece saved piece back over it. If the carpet is fairly new, you should have not problems, if the carpet has aged much, it's going to come apart trying to do this.

#10 Al Wolbach

Al Wolbach

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:22 PM

Another source:  http://www.ospreypro...heflatfoot.ivnu
Dandridge, Tn

#11 bassdocktor

bassdocktor

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey just a friendly warning I ordered a rod organizer sysytem from Osprey very early in the year and it took close to 2 months to receive it even though it was supposed to arrive in a week I believe. I had many emails with them back and forth until it finally got straightened out.
bassdocktor

#12 Bob 06239

Bob 06239

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 05:30 PM

A friend from another site i frequent did this same install,and says it was a breeze.Here is a link to the article....
http://www.ctfisherm...000238/p/1.html
Danielson,Ct.

#13 Brine

Brine

TinBoat Fisherman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted May 29 2010 - 12:45 PM

Anyone have a majic distance between the pedal well and the center of the pedestal base? Ideally with a leaning post style seat as opposed to the sit down version.

#14 cart7t

cart7t

the chicken still haunts me

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 posts

Posted May 29 2010 - 02:42 PM

The distance between the tray and the pedestal post can be pretty critical if you sit and stand while fishing.

When I initially installed my tray I didn't take the distance into account and found that when sitting,  the tray position caused me to have to **** my leg back too much to operate the pedal.  It was somewhat uncomfortable to say the least.  When I did my front deck extension I was able to fix the position and moved it back around an 1 1/2 to 2".  It made a whole lot of difference in leg comfort while sitting and the difference when standing and using the TM pedal was negligible. 
BassResource - A cut above the rest!

#15 cart7t

cart7t

the chicken still haunts me

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 posts

Posted May 29 2010 - 02:43 PM

The distance between the tray and the pedestal post can be pretty critical if you're sitting vs. standing while fishing.

When I initially installed my tray I didn't take the distance into account and found that when sitting, the tray position caused me to have to **** my leg back too much to operate the pedal. It was somewhat uncomfortable. When I did my front deck extension I was able to fix the position and moved it back around an 1 1/2 to 2". It made a whole lot of difference in leg comfort while sitting and the difference when standing and using the TM pedal was negligible.

BassResource - A cut above the rest!