fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Plastic Bass Buster boats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 dman

dman

Think, before you cast....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 06:01 PM

Anyone have or tried one these type of boats?  (   http://busterboats.com/      )

How well do they run?  Can you move around decently in them (only trolling motors)  I'm considering one of these to fish some small lakes and electric only and was wondering if they worked well...I'm not into the idea of a canoe or anything and would like some degree of comfort and these "look" ok (but expensive for what they are)  Any opinion at all is welcome and appreciated,  thanks  

#2 FisherCouple

FisherCouple

One more cast!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 07:20 PM

Unfortunately I can't comment on how reliable they are....since I don't own one....but have been looking at small boats like this myself...and this definitely appears to be one with a lot of nice features and add-ons compared to some I've looked at.  I have also researched the Seaeagle Foldcat 375 (inflatable) pontoon boat....because of the ease of transporting it...and storage....(we have a travel trailer we pull to most of our fishing outings)...but I have to say....I'm glad you posted that link....cause it definitely has me thinking again....I hope someone does post a reply that owns one or has fished from it.

#3 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 09:54 PM

I own the 8' Pelican version called the "Bass Raider". Have had it for about 4 years now, no problems at all.  I once lost a plug for it dragging it through the bushes to launch at a pond and it filled one of the pontoons up with water and I never knew it. They are stable as heck for small boat, more stable than a 12' Jon Boat IMHO. I now own a 17' Aluminum bass boat so the small one see less use, but I expect it to last a long time. I power it w/ a 30lb thrust Minn Kota TM, and use one of those "fishing buddys" for electronics. I never have had any one else in the boat, and at only 8' I would consider it a 1 man boat. I had enough room for 4-5 rods, a large tackle bag, a small cooler, the TM battery and myself with plenty of leg room. The 30lb thrust is plenty IMHO.
I used to fish the bigger lakes around here with it till I go the 17', and was never scared of it. It weighs about 100lbs empty and can be launched any where you can walk up to the edge of the water. I do not' like standing up in it, but thats just because I am big and clumsy. It is very stealthy, I can park right on top of bedding bass and not spook them. One of the best items I have ever bought.
I am not afraid to suck.

#4 Popeye

Popeye

I Love Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 11:23 PM

Good looking boats for someone who might be fishing small lakes/ponds alone and wants something that can be carried in the back of a truck. THANKS for the link to the site!!!
"Try not! Do! Or do not. There is no try!" - YODA

#5 jdw174

jdw174

Love the fall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:15 AM

I owned one for a time.  (Cabelas has several in their new Master Fishing Catalog)  The only thing I would suggest is that you make yourself a fixed rudder to clamp to the stern while fishing from the front using the TM.  It will help stabilize you in the wind.  Otherwise it will blow you around even in a light breeze.
The older I get.....the better I was.

#6 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

organic horticulture guru

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:31 AM

Negs-
No room
they leak pretty bad after a while
Very heavy once there is water inside. Tough to drain

Pos-
fits in a truck bed (many of the sizes)

overall-
Find a used 12' jon!!! ;)

Just my opinion.  There are a few guys here who LOVE theirs.

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com
please visit www.castforkids.org

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right!

#7 Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • 10,921 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:23 AM

Too heavy (smallest one weighs 150 lbs.)
Too expensive(smallest one 918.00).
JMHO.
N. E. OHIO

#8 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

• 11,467 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:36 AM

JMHO.

Wow ;)  I didn't even look at the stats......

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com

#9 dman

dman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 01:13 PM

JMHO.

Wow ;) I didn't even look at the stats......

yea,  its rough but for what you get maybe not to bad...they are loaded with seats,  built in cooler, a live well (for what?!  i cant imaging fishing a tournament with one of these),  one of those even has a fish finder and trollong motor and trailer!  No doubt if i could find a used jon and trailer i would pick it up,  but i just thought with how small these are i could criuse around pretty good with just a trolling motor

#10 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

• 11,467 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 01:36 PM

You can find a jon, you just have to be determined and patient.

They're Lighter, much more room, modifiable very conducive to elec only,.....

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com

#11 BuzzMan

BuzzMan

Get The Net!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 04:08 PM

Dman,  I had 1 for 15 years it was the Deluxe Series with a casting deck.  I just sold it this past August when I bought my first big bass boat.  I wish I still had it!!!

I had a 36lb MinnKota and have at 1 time put a 5 hp braggs & straton, it had no problems hold that motor.  You couldn't run the 5hp wide opened but I used it to travel to different places on bigger lakes.  I also had the trailer they offer with the buster boats, good trailer!!  I did add a fish finder and the rudder the offer.  The rudder is a must with any smaller scamp type boat, it helps with the wind and steering the boat staright.

I always stood up on the casting deack when I fished, very stable boat.  The cooler is good and the livewell works great.

I bought my boat 1 year used in 1992 and when I sold it it looked the same as it did in 92, the plastic doen't fade.  The seats are great, the wife never complained about them.

I would have guys come up to me when I was out fishinf just to look at it because I was standing and they couldn't very well in their scamps.  Big boats would be shocked when I pulled up in place where a normal scamp would need 3-4 batteies to get there when I had the 5hp on it.

Go for it, you will not be sorry.  Any question let me know!!

#12 dman

dman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 05:59 PM

Dman, I had 1 for 15 years it was the Deluxe Series with a casting deck. I just sold it this past August when I bought my first big bass boat. I wish I still had it!!!

I had a 36lb MinnKota and have at 1 time put a 5 hp braggs & straton, it had no problems hold that motor. You couldn't run the 5hp wide opened but I used it to travel to different places on bigger lakes. I also had the trailer they offer with the buster boats, good trailer!! I did add a fish finder and the rudder the offer. The rudder is a must with any smaller scamp type boat, it helps with the wind and steering the boat staright.

I always stood up on the casting deack when I fished, very stable boat. The cooler is good and the livewell works great.

I bought my boat 1 year used in 1992 and when I sold it it looked the same as it did in 92, the plastic doen't fade. The seats are great, the wife never complained about them.

I would have guys come up to me when I was out fishinf just to look at it because I was standing and they couldn't very well in their scamps. Big boats would be shocked when I pulled up in place where a normal scamp would need 3-4 batteies to get there when I had the 5hp on it.

Go for it, you will not be sorry. Any question let me know!!

hey Buzzman,  thanks for the info.....I was wondering how it would handle standing on that little platform....Basically i just want something until i get a big boat...Couple years away since im gonna fish as a rider in a bass club for a while first and learn how to operate a boat correctly...But i wanted something for my own time on the small lakes close by....Something relativley cheap..i would need a trailer to since i dont have a pick up....They are durable?  cant puncture easily?  are there any compartments for tackle?  easy to go and launch by yourself?

#13 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 09:16 PM

I launch my 8' by myself, like I said it's 90lbs, not heavy at all. It is EXTREAMLY durable and tuff. I had a 12' Jon when I was a kid, I would NEVER go back to one after owning one of these.
I am not afraid to suck.

#14 cart7t

cart7t

the chicken still haunts me

• Floater
  • 5,924 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 06:19 AM

$5000 for the 12 1/2 footer with NO trailer!!  Geezo Peezo, that seems a little on the steep side considering there's no OB motor included in that price.  For that kind of skin you could buy a new Aluminum John and completely convert it with an OB.  
BassResource - A cut above the rest!

#15 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

• 11,467 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 06:33 AM

I launch my 8' by myself, like I said it's 90lbs, not heavy at all. It is EXTREAMLY durable and tuff. I had a 12' Jon when I was a kid, I would NEVER go back to one after owning one of these.

ww- You're the first person I ever met with that opinion.  Maybe these boats are different from the Pelicans and the ones at Bass Pro??

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com