bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

POWER PRO 20LB - PROBLEM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 island bassin

island bassin

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 10:35 AM

Lost two over 5lb today. I lost another big bass before having the power pro line broken when bass strikes :-/. No chance to react at all!! I use the Clinch Knot.

What do you think is the problem??
Catch & RELEASE!

#2 dodgeguy

dodgeguy

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 11:17 AM

1)any line can break
2)use a paolmar knot and crazy glue it
3)even braid needs to be checked for damage
4)powerpro is good line but i have heard of it snapping for no reason.there is counterfeit power pro out there.
5)switch to sufix braid.it's the best.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

#3 RiskKid.

RiskKid.

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 11:22 AM

Try the palomar knot. I always used the improved clinch knot before becoming a member of this forum. I kept seeing that most folks here use the palomar knot. For the reasons you describe I became convinced to change. Once I became comfortable using it I now find its easier to tie. This has been one of many, many things I owe to and have learned on this forum.

#4 heathen

heathen

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 12:59 PM

I would try the palomer knot. Its what worked best for me when I was using braid.

#5 CyBasser

CyBasser

Bass forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hi Island bassin!

Good to know that bass are biting again at Kourris!

Anyway, regarding PowerPro, I have been using it a lot over the last few months and have never had any problems with it.

You first have to identify where exactly was the problem: Did the line break exactly at the knot? If so, then you might reconsider the knots you are using.

Did it break somewhere else? The areas you are fishing have a lot of potentially line-damaging underwater structure, especially in the form of submerged bushes and jagged-edged rocks. You need to be checking the line all the time for abrasion and re-tie often if you have even the slightest suspicion that the line might have become damaged. Braided lines are definitely tougher in such environments than mono, but they can still fray and detoriate.

Of course, it is possible that it might be the line's fault. Last March I kept breaking 20lb Fireline all the time, I even had the line break during casting. It turned out that the whole 300-yard spool was defective.

I would suggest that at home you tie the line somewhere solid and try pulling on it both steadily but also with various hard and sudden jerks, like a 5-lber would do and see what happens.

Keep up the good job...

CyBasser  
Don't kill your Bass!!!

#6 FishTank

FishTank

His name was Robert Paulson.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 06:39 PM

What type of bait or lure are you using?  I went through 300 yards of this stuff over the summer and had, what I thought, was the same problem.  I went to set the hook or a fish would strike hard and snap, the line would break.  

I fish plastic about 50% time.  After looking at my knot and hook I noticed that the knot would slip into the crack where the knot hole met the hook.  I changed to Gamakatsu EWG hooks for power line and the problem was solved.  You might also try to wet the knot before pull it tight.  A little spit should do and stick with the palomar knot.
Indiana Fishing

#7 RoLo

RoLo

44-lb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 07:47 PM

Not being there, I can only guess what happened, but the odds overwhelmingly favor "line abrasion".
Depending on the extent of abrasion, the line-test can be reduced to near zero, regardless of its stated breaking-strength.

In addition, the clinch knot is a notoriously poor knot and for several reasons (I won't get into that).
I use nothing but a "uni-knot" for both braid and mono, which is quick & easy to tie, very strong and easily tied to plugs wth trebles.
If you use a uni-knot, I doubt very much that you will ever see the line break at the knot.

Roger

'WHO' Is Right is Not Important.....'WHAT' Is Right is All That Matters      ( Lake Wales, Florida )

#8 Pa Angler

Pa Angler

I love fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 09:39 PM

I used to use Power Pro didn't like it. Had a shedding issue and would break at the knot and I used a palomar knot it seemed to fatigue at the knot such like a piece of metal would when being bent back and forth till it reached it's breaking point. You should try Cabela's Ripcord Si or Si Plus a much better braid then Power Pro and doesn't break from fatigue like Power Pro does. You can feel the difference in your hands.

Chow
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST FISHING GEAR WINS!!!!!

#9 jacktrevally

jacktrevally

Luring & Surfcasting

• Floater
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 10:26 PM

Fake power pro, it could be! There were a batch of fake powerpro on the market, not up to the standard. Read on the powerpro website for more info
Tica 6ft+ Shimano stella Customised 3000FD

#10 RoLo

RoLo

44-lb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 11:11 PM

I used to use Power Pro didn't like it. Had a shedding issue and would break at the knot and I used a palomar knot it seemed to fatigue at the knot such like a piece of metal would when being bent back and forth till it reached it's breaking point. You should try Cabela's Ripcord Si or Si Plus a much better braid then Power Pro and doesn't break from fatigue like Power Pro does. You can feel the difference in your hands.

Shredding Issue?
I can't imagine what shredding issue you may have experienced or why you favor Cabela Ripcord ahead of PowerPro braid.
Actually PowerPro is an inordinately strong line and I've never heard say that it suffers from fatigue or crystallization.
PowerPro is widely recognized as outlasting both copolymer and cofilament line, and lasts just as long
as polyvinylidene fluoride, better known as fluorocarbon. Longevity and strength are among its outstanding properties.
                  Oddly, a more common complaint among anglers is that PowerPro spectra is too difficult to break-off
when they're hopelessly snagged. Any fishing line can be degraded through abrasion, but I've never had any problem
with PowerPro that I did not cause myself.

Roger

'WHO' Is Right is Not Important.....'WHAT' Is Right is All That Matters      ( Lake Wales, Florida )

#11 toothdoc

toothdoc

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 12:57 PM

I would change your knot and also check for line abrasion.  My recommendation is to use a Uni knot or use a Fluoro leader and a Uni to Uni knot.

#12 kfx400rob

kfx400rob

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 07:47 PM

i clinch knot on braid is alot weaker than a palomar, so im with everyone else, try the palomar knot, the knot is probly where its breaking

#13 Pa Angler

Pa Angler

I love fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 08:57 PM

Shredding? I said SHEDDING.
There would be a fine dust on my guides as the line would pass through them there is a coating on Power Pro line. As far as fake Power Pro I purchased mine at Bass Pro Shops so maybe they were selling fake line. Power Pro is NOT better then Cabela's Ripcord Si Plus not even close I have used Power Pro never buy it again. Maybe some of you need to try the Ripcord Si I get the impression that some of you haven't and so you proclaim Power Pro is better without trying the Ripcord Si Plus do a fair comparison try them both before saying Power Pro is better.

Chow
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST FISHING GEAR WINS!!!!!

#14 mike bat

mike bat

Gator Slaunch Goon Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 12:13 AM

man .. i like power pro ... id say you had knot failer .... now i use a polamar knot ... and i make sure i yank that knot down .... you have to set that knot ... before i trim the tag end... i always take my plyers and give that tag a hard yank or two just to set that polamar knot evenly .... also make sure the line is wet before tieing any braids ... and where you yanked the tag ,,be sure to clip that off .. dont get discuraged just tweek your knot and knot tieing ....  ;D

#15 island bassin

island bassin

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted October 16 2006 - 01:52 PM

Thank you all guys.

Apreciate your comments on the knot(palomar knot) , will you reccomend it for spinnerbaits as well? Both bass(?) strike on 3/4 spinnerbaits. What do you think about berkley braid knot, it looks "stronger".

There is though a possibility that the first one,which i didn't see was one of the monster pikeperchs which there are alot in this reservoir.
Catch & RELEASE!