bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Snake-like lures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Long Mike

Long Mike

Phishing Phreak

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 12:24 AM

In reading Doug Hammond's (The Bass Professor) responses to questiona, he continually recommends the use of snake-like plastics, regardless of where you are located, or the time of year.  I know from his web-site that Doug is selling his own plastic snakes, and I know the guy needs to make a living, but I have yet to see any poster to this site recommend a snake as a viable lure.  That said, I have a Woo Daves CD, wherein he promotes a 10" top-water pink snake.  I would appreciate any input, pro or con.

Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you you have. Thomas Edison

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#2 Maxximus Redneckus

Maxximus Redneckus

I Love Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 01:17 AM

i use manns augertails in 12 inch just as good and yes they catch big bass summer spring and fall in MD u get like 10 in a package at 4 dollars about 15 diff colors

#3 SPEEDBEAD.

SPEEDBEAD.

Swimbaitin'

• Members
  • 6,856 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 02:15 PM

In reading Doug Hammond's (The Bass Professor) responses to questiona, he continually recommends the use of snake-like plastics, regardless of where you are located, or the time of year. I know from his web-site that Doug is selling his own plastic snakes, and I know the guy needs to make a living, but I have yet to see any poster to this site recommend a snake as a viable lure. That said, I have a Woo Daves CD, wherein he promotes a 10" top-water pink snake. I would appreciate any input, pro or con.

I thought the same thing, however there is a strong love of Mr. Hannon here on the site...I wasnt sure how it would be perceived. I have never caught a bass anywhere near 10lbs and this guy has caught a bunch.

He does seem to answer some of his questions as though it were an infomercial. Personally, I put more faith into what members (regular people) tell me anyways.

Wayne

The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.

Instagram: @speedbead

#4 BadKarma42

BadKarma42

Good cop and bad cop went home for the day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 03:49 PM

I smell a long winded argument coming.....
I'm a different kind of cop.

#5 Siebert Outdoors

Siebert Outdoors

Its all about jig fishin

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • 6,998 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 05:13 PM

I've used 10.5" old monsters for pulling across weeds/lily pads works pretty good at times

#6 CrazedL.IFisherman

CrazedL.IFisherman

Born to Fish...Forced to Work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 05:48 PM

To answer your question long mike, my fishing buddy and i did purchase his snakes and i thought they were garbage, not to take anything away from the man, hes a great fishermen and extremely smart when  speaking about bass and their habitats,  but as far as the lure goes, the eyes would constantly fall off, the plastic used was junk, within about 10 minutes in the hot sun, either directly in the sun or in its original packaging and shaded by being inside a tackle bag, the lures would melt together and their would be gooey plastic everywhere, ive owned roughly 200 different types of plastic lures and none have done what these have, the hooks that came with the lure did noy stay rigged proper after fixing them constantly, overall i think this lure could have been perfected better and more field testing could have been done, i know when i saw these things the first time on the internet i was psyched and when i used them i couldnt be more dissapointed and for the price of the kit they werent cheap either, id steer clear from these, as far as the big snake comment, just using big 10-12 inch worms can get the job done, it doesnt have to be a snake but more likely if its a big worm it resembles a snake and works, these are all my experiences and my opinions, just throwing it out there so im not attacked haha

Jon
Long Island, New York

#7 TravisLovett

TravisLovett

Bassin 1101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 09:18 PM

Well I've never tried these certain snake plastics, but I have tried floating plastics "10 or so.  In my simple opinion, there an ok option, but for nearly all situations there is a better option.
You gotta bite yet?

#8 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,777 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 09:35 PM

To answer your question long mike, my fishing buddy and i did purchase his snakes and i thought they were garbage, not to take anything away from the man, hes a great fishermen and extremely smart when speaking about bass and their habitats, but as far as the lure goes, the eyes would constantly fall off, the plastic used was junk, within about 10 minutes in the hot sun, either directly in the sun or in its original packaging and shaded by being inside a tackle bag, the lures would melt together and their would be gooey plastic everywhere, ive owned roughly 200 different types of plastic lures and none have done what these have, the hooks that came with the lure did noy stay rigged proper after fixing them constantly, overall i think this lure could have been perfected better and more field testing could have been done, i know when i saw these things the first time on the internet i was psyched and when i used them i couldnt be more dissapointed and for the price of the kit they werent cheap either, id steer clear from these, as far as the big snake comment, just using big 10-12 inch worms can get the job done, it doesnt have to be a snake but more likely if its a big worm it resembles a snake and works, these are all my experiences and my opinions, just throwing it out there so im not attacked haha

Jon

Well, I have yet to hear an independent report where anyone has ever caught a fish on a snake. I would like to hear someone say ANYTHING positive about these baits, who isn't associated with the company. I have never fished a snake and don't actually know anyone else who has either.

So, Let's hear it. What's the deal?

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#9 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

organic horticulture guru

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 10:03 PM

For those of you who are willing to think outside the box, there is a lure made for saltwater by a company called Williamson.  It's a soft plastic of a ribbon fish.  Long, skinny, sick action.  This is a trolling bait, has a small lip.

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com
please visit www.castforkids.org

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right!

#10 wzt4z3

wzt4z3

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 10:28 AM

My girlfriend bought me some wobblehead lures and worms and i didnt think much of them, but she SWORE they looked cool in the video at BPS. So i tied one up for her to use a few times this year while i fished with a worm/jig/etc. I cast out the first time to see what they looked like and they did look like a snake swimming back towards the boat. Anyways, she ended up catching a few decent size 2-4lbs on them during the summer. Now all she wants to use is a wobblehead.  Its not necessary my go to bait, but she can fish with those easier than teaching her to fish a worm or anything else, and she caught some decent fish on them. I would use them more often, but i dont have the confidence with them that i have using a jig or a worm.

#11 bocabasser

bocabasser

hook sets are free

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 11:41 AM

i have seen doug's snakes, and they are junk. way too expensive, and they material is just weak. living in florida, snakes are a great bait. i make my own 16" snake and it is killer during the summer in the everglades. sometimes the bass down here do not want the big snakes, but will eat a smaller version. when this is the case, a black zoom trickworm with a 5/0 gama ewg is flat out deadly! jmo
King of the Glades Trail Member

#12 BassHunter69

BassHunter69

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 02:23 PM

when i was a kid around 13 i used to buy those toy rubber life like snakes at walmart and put a hook on them the ones i used were about 6 inchers or so i caught many bass on them since they were soft plastic rubber types. these days i cant find any worms like that any where.
ive got some wobblehead worms which my dad bought for me at gander mtn but ive yet to try them
Unbelievable resource - BassResource.com!

#13 rondef

rondef

Searching For My Trophy LMB & SMB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 07:29 PM

I tried them and I am also extremely disappointed in them.  They do melt together if they are in a takle box and it is hot outside, even though I keep them covered in the boat as to not allow them to get direct sunlight.  I have never so much as gotten a hit onthese things.  I think they are the worst investment I have ever made for my bass fishing.  They are definately not worth the money, go buy some worms instead.  I challenge Doug to prove that they will work in the Northern Virginia area, I think they will not.
www.reelamericanheroes.org
www.ragetail.com

#14 BassHunter69

BassHunter69

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 10:26 PM

i challenge doug to make a better snake that wont melt
Unbelievable resource - BassResource.com!

#15 George Welcome

George Welcome

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 04:03 AM

Not happy with your natural motion lures:

Registrant:
Mark Abernathy
3180 Whisper Wind Dr
St.Cloud, Florida 34771
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: NATURALMOTIONLURES.COM
Created on: 21-Oct-02
Expires on: 21-Oct-08
Last Updated on: 06-Oct-04

Administrative Contact:
Abernathy, Mark mark@naturalmotionlures.com
3180 Whisper Wind Dr
St.Cloud, Florida 34771
United States

Technical Contact:
Abernathy, Mark mark@naturalmotionlures.com
3180 Whisper Wind Dr